Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

McLaren P1 - exclusive on-track review by Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Damn, saving this to watch later. Looking forward to Chris Harris' review though.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ADV.1 Wheels You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
OK just watched it and wow, the car is incredible and wow, wtf was he saying?!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Horrible review and the filming is all over the place.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
j03chu is an unknown quantity at this point
One of the most disappointing, anticipated car review yet.

If you had a chance to drive the P1 or been given the opportunity, you would think autocar could have tried a bit harder.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Some would suggest he might have been trying too hard.

>8^)
ER

Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zeus
And WTF is wrong with British journalism these days. Even my favorite, Chris Harris, does this incessantly - DRIFTING.

We have here the supposedly best handling, stickiest road car ever devised by mankind, an Apollo moment, and you drift it like a $1,500 s**t-can ricer mobile.
I am so damn tired of this as well. People put a car into some lurid powerslide as some supposed illustration of how great it handles. I had a friend in high school, he would make his '77 Grand Prix do the same thing. A great handling car, I assure you it was not.

Please everyone, stop it. We don't need tire smoke to convey the excitement of driving the car, if you've done your job correctly.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the post! Added To homepage.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Teamspeed Member
RickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond repute
Jesus christ, the negativity on here! Be happy, you just got to see the brand new P1, spanked around a track. I can agree to an extent, it wasn't the best of reviews, but compared to what's out there on YouTube (90% shit), I would be god damn happy I got to see this video without even paying a cent.

I don't see how some of you can criticize Chris Harris. I for one, think that his reviews offer the absolute perfect combination of factual information, opinions, performance testing (often, not always, timed laps) and entertainment (drifting). What's wrong with offsetting the balance of the car and exploring its limits, on a track? I find CHs car control simply impressive, and most definitely entertaining. It's not like he's trashing cars (which I absolutely hate see people doing...), he's simply making the cars dance around a bit, on track. The F12 test had a bit much of it, but otherwise his videos are great!

Try loosen up a bit guys, it's not always about lap-times or being faster. Hit that PSM, TC(+SC) OFF (I know there are plenty of 997 GT3 owners here...)DSC, or ESP button once in a while, or switch that Manettino all the way to "Commit Suicide Training" and pretend you're 12 years old. Be happy! If anything, it would make you a better driver, and the experience could potentially save your ass, while exploring limits on track.

Last edited by RickyZone; 01-29-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RickyZone
Jesus christ, the negativity on here! Be happy, you just got to see the brand new P1, spanked around a track. I can agree to an extent, it wasn't the best of reviews, but compared to what's out there on YouTube (90% shit), I would be god damn happy I got to see this video without even paying a cent.

I don't see how some of you can criticize Chris Harris. I for one, think that his reviews offer the absolute perfect combination of factual information, opinions, performance testing (often, not always, timed laps) and entertainment (drifting). What's wrong with offsetting the balance of the car and exploring its limits, on a track? I find CHs car control simply impressive, and most definitely entertaining. It's not like he's trashing cars (which I absolutely hate see people doing...), he's simply making the cars dance around a bit, on track. The F12 test had a bit much of it, but otherwise his videos are great!

Try loosen up a bit guys, it's not always about lap-times or being faster. Hit that PSM, TC(+SC) OFF (I know there are plenty of 997 GT3 owners here...)DSC, or ESP button once in a while, or switch that Manettino all the way to "Commit Suicide Training" and pretend you're 12 years old. Be happy! If anything, it would make you a better driver, and the experience could potentially save your ass, while exploring limits on track.
For some reason this car has become the hater dump. This review wasn't very detailed, more of an ode. Every review doesn't need to have NASA level statistics and insight. If he had said that the car sucked, this crew would have hooted and applauded.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't watch the review, so I can't comment on its quality.

But I've grown weary of people drifting cars as a show of -- what, I'm not sure. No one drives that way unless they are in a sprint car or ice racing or rallying. It proves nothing.

I've done plenty of drifting on snow covered pavement and it is definitely fun. But I don't need to see a guy in a quarter million dollar car, hanging the tail out with the tach bouncing off the rev limiter for me to appreciate how good that car is. All I can think of the whole time is, "There goes a thousand dollars worth of tires."

I saw a drifting demo at Road America once. After about five minutes I decided I'd seen all I needed to see. *yawn*

Quick Reply: McLaren P1 - exclusive on-track review by Autocar