Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011 | 11:51 PM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
To date, I have never seen a F1 and it still is one of my all time favorite cars. I truly hope to see one someday.
Me too

Jason, the drawing I did is Chassis #10R,

Last edited by 65°V12; 10-01-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2011 | 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Member
hurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RFFG
I would love to see a screen shot of peloton's files and the way he has the mclaren stuff organized

it would probably make my ocd look like baby crap lol
Originally Posted by Peloton25
This can possibly be arranged. As it sits today it is 55,421 files in 1,133 folders totaling about 24GB. Everything isn't exactly how I would like it to be - if I knew where I was going with this when I started I'd have done a few things differently. Still the level of organization I do have is the only way I keep most of it straight in my head.

>8^)
ER
Eriks filing system is in Erik's own personal order but to change it now to something more OCD-like would be both time consuming and pointless - it doesn't take him long to locate a file

Here's mine at the moment - 35.4gb, 33,529 files in 244 folders, listed numerically with the cars VIN, chassis number, and other identifying characteristics not in my F1 chassis database

I haven't been doing it as long as Erik, but Erik's passion for the F1 has rubbed off a little

Old 10-02-2011 | 03:45 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
You must save a lot more video than I do to have gotten to 36GB.

I'll take some screenshots.

>8^)
ER

Old 10-02-2011 | 04:08 PM
Teamspeed Member
hurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond repute
Could be - my 'specific' F1 video folder is only 2.48GB which is mainly for either videos containing multiple F1's, videos of the F1 that I either can't identify, haven't had the time to look at or aren't about a car more like the Mclaren F1 instead of a Mclaren F1, but since adding that folder I have added my own personal F1 videos to those folders specific to the subject car [IIRC #06R, #12R #13R, #24R]

Old 10-02-2011 | 09:57 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hurstg01
Erik's filing system is in Erik's own personal order
Yes - Greg pretty much nailed it with that description. Here is a peek at my organized mess. All owner's names have been removed to protect the innocent. Some folders might appear to be blank but do have content inside. It was just that the folder preview images were (unfortunately) not for public consumption. There is some duplication in my collection, but one thing I do to help prevent that is never change a file name when I save things that I find.

This is top level - basically six folders full of content and one holding tank for stuff that I didn't immediately file or might be working on. Inside those six main folders are sub-folders that sometimes go as many as 6-layers deep. The two Excel files here are the duplicate of the F1 Chassis History poster I created and a cataloging of the history of all the GTRs that has been compiled.

Note: All thumbnails below are all clickable.

Here's the inside of the F1 Road Car folder - I keep a folder for every owner who has been identified along with the chassis number of their car. Some of those folders contain additional sub-folders for events the car might have attended. In some cases where we have not obtained an owner's name I use the general location where the car was seen. There are also folders from showrooms where F1s have appeared like Auto Salon Signen.

At the top there you may have noticed two folders for Prototypes and F1s that wear the Downforce Kit. Towards the middle of the page is a folder for the cars identified from Japan. Here's what's in those - again with sub-folders below them in some cases.

Here's the F1 GTR folder for the short tailed versions built in 1995 and 1996. You'll note that I file these by livery rather than chassis number. In some cases there are sub-folders here for the post-competition owners of GTRs not yet converted for road use. I keep the road converted ones elsewhere.

Here's the folder for GTR Longtails - similar story, filed by livery since especially with the longtails you had several cars that wore the same livery and often shared race numbers. To verify the chassis number you'd need to know what actual race the image came from. Since none of the Longtail GTRs have yet been converted for road use the afterlife owners are all filed here too.

The F1 LMs live in their own folder and I keep a sub-folder here for road converted GTRs.

The F1 GT longtail road cars live in their own folder - not much content here unfortunately.

Greg's filing method with a top layer for every chassis number is certainly far more logical, but as he noted that setup works really well for me.

Last but certainly not least are the Miscellaneous files. About half the total number of sub-folders I have exist in here for cataloging all sorts of F1-related things. I think the 'stuff' related to the F1 like artwork, collectibles, diecast models, article scans and the like are just as interesting as the cars themselves, so I try to capture as much of it as I can for a truly well rounded collection.

I won't drill down into all of them, but here's a look inside the '_Printed Materials' folder which leads to even better things.

I have over 2,800 images from the collection uploaded to my Photobucket account somewhat randomly in 11 different folders which I use to provide reference quite often. In order to save myself the trouble of figuring out whether I've already uploaded something and which folder it might be in I keep an Excel spreadsheet I can refer to rather quickly with the filename and so there's no struggle to find the image URL and I am not constantly re-uploading the same content. That's one of the ways I am so quickly able to respond to questions and include relevant content with the answer.

>8^)
ER

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:52 PM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute
^ Wow Erik, that is quite a "file cabinet" hehe truly is amazing that you have all that!! I would get lost in a heart beat.. I wouldn't know where to begin lol.
Thanks for the screenshots mate! +1 I've always wanted to see what amount of information you had, and now I just don't know what to say! I bet even McLaren would be astonished if they saw this. Maybe offer you a job

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:41 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
^^ OMG! What an obsession! REP!

Old 10-05-2011 | 01:39 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Photo by the amazingly talented Richard Thompson.

I had a little something to do with making this happen and suspect there will be more of the pair forthcoming.

>8^)
ER

Old 10-05-2011 | 02:04 AM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Photo by the amazingly talented Richard Thompson.

I had a little something to do with making this happen and suspect there will be more of the pair forthcoming.

>8^)
ER
Can't wait for more, Erik. Again- excellent stuff! What's the story behind this one? Seems pretty interesting, since the F50 is there

Old 10-05-2011 | 02:29 AM
McLaren Fanatic
This is the same pale blue F1 (chassis #036) that I saw in Monterey this past August during the Pebble Beach weekend. I'd had a rain check to see the car dating back to 2007 and was pretty thrilled on Wednesday afternoon to get a text message from Stephan Bauer letting me know he'd just spotted it off 17 Mile Drive near Pebble Beach.

After making contact through email, I met the owner at his home the next morning and got to spend about an hour looking over the car and chatting with him. In the process of our discussion, knowing that his collection also contains a black F50, I asked him if he had any photos of the pair together. I added that they are my two favorite cars and of course they are THE supercar icons of the 1990s, but there are just a small number of photos of them together exist anywhere.

He said he liked the idea and that while those two cars aren't really ever in the same place, that he'd make arrangements to get them together and try to arrange for Richard Thompson to take the photos.

His F50 is one of I think 4 original black F50s that came to the USA and his F1 is fairly unique as well so it makes for a striking combination. I'm thrilled to see he followed through on my request so quickly and I'm sure we are in for a treat when Richard finishes with the rest of the set.

>8^)
ER

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread