Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

How is the M3 Dual-Clutch transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these partsMr. R. is infamous around these parts
How is the M3 Dual-Clutch transmission?

Do any of you have this transmission or do any of you have input on this?

I realize most here will probably be traditional manual-junkies like myself but the thought of the DCT seems kind of cool to me. BMW gets dissed a lot for electronics but I quite like the high tech interface of the cars through the nav system. That is drifting from the point, however. I live in a suburban area so not as much stop and go as urban but no big open roads either, and I will be using my car as a daily driver.

DCT vs Manual.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
its comparable to pdk. both very smooth and fast. both drive like automatic, except faster.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud ofhamadjamsheer has much to be proud of
i used to own a Manual M3 and now i own a DCT M3 (both e92) tha manual is great u feel in control t all times .. but i have to give the DCT a hand ! its amazing feels like a manual without the trouble of moving ur left foot or ur right hand (left hand drive) its smooth, entertaining when u switch gear ratios , and delivers massive power thats my opinion though .. why dont u test drive it ? i bet ul love it

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nicedillon733 is just really nice
I have a DCT e92 M3 and I love the DCT. It shifts lightning fast, doesn't have any reliability issues etc. It feels pretty much like a manual except you are not operating the clutch the car is. If I had to do it over I would get a DCT again. If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
I wrote a little bit about the M3 transmission in my write-up. You can find it here:

https://teamspeed.com/forums/m/52020...nvertible.html

Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Car and Driver originally reported that after about 40k miles on their tester that the DCT was "loosening up"... shifts weren't as crisp or fast, at slow speeds it was clunky and loose.

Has anyone had this issue or known of anyone with problems on higher mileage cars?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
nrz
Teamspeed Senior Member
nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I had a DCT E92 for the weekend and loved the transmission. When you crank up the shift speed and click a few times for a lower gear the sound is amazing, all business. I loved driving it. Would I buy one that way, probably.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
brabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant future
I've driven the new DCT a few times and its amazing, light years ahead of the old SMG transmission in the old e46 m3, Its extremely easy to use, you have full manual control or you can put it in full auto, has a great number of settings for shifting from just cruising around town to track type shifting.

Havnt heard of any reliability issues, my buddies just got rid of his 08 and it had 5X,000 miles on it with no lack in the speed or feel of the shifting.

And as a DD I would easily choose it over the 6mt, I know it probably more engaging, but being on a couple of M forums, I cant tell you how many stories I've read about people money shifting the car into the wrong gear, putting the car in limp mode and finding out later when the take it to the dealer that the have blown the motor and they will have to pay for it out of pocket.

just my .02

Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SilverOne is on a distinguished roadSilverOne is on a distinguished road
FWIW, when I rode along with the leader of BMW's M division engineering last summer in Germany, his personal take was DCT over the SMG for performance and reliability.

When I asked him what he would personally drive and also take on the 'Ring, he said it would be either the current V10 M5 or V10 M6 with DCT and R-compounds.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
Wife has one. Just like PDK much faster than a stick. I like!

Quick Reply: How is the M3 Dual-Clutch transmission?