Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Olympic Rent-A-Car: BMW M3 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Olympic Rent-A-Car: BMW M3 Convertible

December in Los Angeles

Exclusively for TEAMSPEED by ZAMIRZ at Olympic Rent-A-Car of Beverly Hills

“20+ inches of snow to snowblow today... This should be fun.” Is what the top status update read on my facebook as I logged on last Sunday morning. It was my friend Alex from Minnesota, who I had become friends with last year at the Monterey Historics in Northern California. He had woken up to the aftermath of a snowstorm that dumped over 15 inches on the twin cities in one night. I shrugged my shoulders, grabbed a cup of tea from the kitchen and headed to the garage. Waiting for me was a 2011 BMW M3 convertible provided by Olympic Rent-A-Car of Beverly Hills. I cracked the garage door and was greeted by a blast of 80-degree weather, and the sun beaming down on the orange fall foliage covering my driveway. To quote Randy Newman, “I Love L.A.”

I went back into the house, got dressed, grabbed the key and headed out. This particular car is finished in BMW’s handsome Carbon Black with Black Nappa leather interior, and is equipped with the optional M-DCT dual clutch gearbox. Additionally, the Comfort Access option allows you to enter and start the vehicle without using the fob. Simply swipe your finger on the ribbed part of the door handle to lock and unlock. Once inside, a large round button is used to start and stop the engine. Not much else can be said about the interior that hasn't been written about already. The seats are supportive, but comfy with adequate adjustment. The steering wheel has the typical M fanfare with contrasting stitching and a chunky rim. The shift paddles have a very positive feel to them and everything else is exactly where you would expect it to be in every other BMW.

The first thing you notice when firing the engine up from cold is how smooth it is. Even going through the warm-up sequence it purrs like a sewing machine with no weird noises from the valve-train. Once warm, you can let it rip. Like most recent engines from the M division, this one loves to rev. Push the M-mode button on the steering wheel and the exhaust note changes, the throttle becomes more sensitive and the VANOS system shuffles the cams lower in the rev range to bring the motor into the powerband sooner and harder. Nothing much happens below 6,000 RPM, but once you get beyond that point, the back squats and intake roar is taken over by a screaming exhaust. Before you know it, the lights are flashing above the tach and it’s time to pull the right paddle and grab the next gear of the M-DCT gearbox.

The transmission has an automatic and a manual mode, and no less than 6 different levels of shift firmness. The firmest shifting mode is only available with the Dynamic Stability Control disengaged. I found the car drives best in manual mode with the firmness set one less than maximum. Gone are the days of the jerky and confused SMG transmission, this new dual-clutch unit does everything instantly without complaining. Want to go from 5th to 2nd? No problem, just pull the left paddle three times and as the car begins to come down from speed, the transmission will summon a downshift when appropriate to keep from hurting the motor and rev match seamlessly. Want to forget about shifting altogether, tap the gear knob to the right and the car will do everything for you just like a traditional automatic. Perhaps the only complaint is that it isn’t nearly as engaging as a standard transmission, but the driving experience in a convertible isn’t nearly as visceral as a coupe, so the M-DCT is actually a better match for this car.

The canyon roads that lead from Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley to the beach are the perfect companion to a fast convertible on a warm day. The engine howls as you wind your way through the gears and between the mountains. The serene backdrop of endless smooth roads allows the chassis to work while you enjoy your surroundings and make your way toward the water. As I turned north onto Pacific Coast Highway, another M3 convertible passed me and gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up. This type of camaraderie isn’t typical of Los Angeles where we have a high volume of sports cars, but M owners tend to be an intimate bunch and I returned the sentiment with a reassuring nod and smile.

After a quick stop for some food and photos, it was time to head back. Feeling lazy after the spirited drive and fried seafood, I put the transmission into automatic mode and cruised south to Santa Monica for a spin around the 3rd street promenade area. Santa Monica was bustling with people who were all smiles on a warm day in December, and I got quite a few enthusiastic waves from folks crossing the street as I was making my way through the traffic.

Leaving Santa Monica, the weather began to cool off as the sun set behind me, and after a few quick blasts up to redline I had made my way back to the Olympic Rent-A-Car offices in Beverly Hills. I dropped the car off, turned over the keys, climbed into my car and drove home thinking back on the experience. A beautiful day with a beautiful car, it couldn’t have gone better in December.

To rent this M3, or any of a number of luxury and exotic cars, please contact me via private message for special Teamspeed pricing. You can also check out our inventory here:

Olympic Rent-A-Car Rates & Vehicles

*Disclaimer: Three days after I went on this drive and shoot, a torrential week-long downpour engulfed Los Angeles and much of the rest of Southern California.

Last edited by ZAMIRZ; 12-21-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
I like...facelifted E93 win

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Teamspeed Member
mono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura aboutmono2100 has a spectacular aura about
great write up Amir, definitely not what I was expecting when I clicked on the link....

Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
very nice writeup.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hahaha nice write-up Amir. Thanks for quoting me. I think I need to move out to your neck of the woods soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
All I want to do is get on a plane now Amir, it's 10 degrees here in NYC lol!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up Amir, I have no doubt that your office will be the first stop if I'll come to LA. Pretty impressive inventory of cars you have there and the pricing is amaing when comparing with Cote d'Azur or London.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
So would you say your head was aircooled during this drive?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice write-up and excellent pictures!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Hahaha nice write-up Amir. Thanks for quoting me. I think I need to move out to your neck of the woods soon.
Alex, I knew you'd appreciate it! Once we get a decent football franchise, you'll have no excuse.

Originally Posted by DJ
All I want to do is get on a plane now Amir, it's 10 degrees here in NYC lol!
DJ, your purple SL with designo pink interior is waiting

Originally Posted by D55L
Great write-up Amir, I have no doubt that your office will be the first stop if I'll come to LA. Pretty impressive inventory of cars you have there and the pricing is amaing when comparing with Cote d'Azur or London.
D, thank you. I was also shocked at the prices to rent cars in Cote d'Azur when I was there earlier this year, but I guess the market there can bare it.

Originally Posted by jox
So would you say your head was aircooled during this drive?
Yes jox, warm-air cooled that day. Too bad it's been water-cooled since last wednesday though.

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Very nice write-up and excellent pictures!
Thank you Khalid.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, and stay tuned for the Aston Martin Rapide write-up coming up some time next week after the weather gives us a break here in L.A.

Quick Reply: Olympic Rent-A-Car: BMW M3 Convertible