Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

The BMW M8 that never was

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:32 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post The BMW M8 that never was

Unlike Mercedes-Benz which produces AMG badged versions of just about every model in its lineup, BMW has maintained greater exclusivity with the M badge. Until last year's launch of the X6 M and X5 M, there have only been four M models (not counting the M1), but one M got as far as prototyping and testing, but never produced: The M8.

Powered by a 550 horsepower version of BMW's original M70 V12 engine, the M8 was meant to challenge the Ferrari 456 GT. However, following testing of the single prototype, BMW canceled the program and built the 375 hp 850CSi instead. The M8 prototype was long thought to have been crushed, but it turns out that it was stashed away in a corner and turned up in the BMW museum in Munich. Check out the BMW Blog for more shots.

Source[Autoblog.com]

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

One of my favourite shapes ever. I've been looking at 840ci models as they have just slipped into my price range. Shame this car never got into production, it would today be one of the beasts of the nineties for sure.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Nik

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
That would have been Friggin Sweet.

I wouldn't touch a 8 series nick. Not even with someone else's poll.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Really? Reliability issues? I don't really know much about them other than I love the shape and I can afford one. Are they a bit notorious for trouble?

Been eyeing off this sub 50 thousand K example.

Cheers,
Nik

Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
That engine shot is noooooiiiiccceee.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
It's not so much that they are "notorious" for problems, but that everything that can go wrong costs an arm and a leg and needs special-order parts.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Hi,

Understand, I'll add that to the pile of things in my head and see if they can outweigh my heart!

Cheers,
Nik

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
It's worth it.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
That would have been Friggin Sweet.

I wouldn't touch a 8 series nick. Not even with someone else's poll.
My 91 850i euro car went 160,000 miles over its three owners. A DK motor and intake runner gaskets, plus standard maintenance and it was fine. Still running around town I see it every now and then.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned
MHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these partsMHC681 is infamous around these parts
always been a fan of the 8 series cars. classics fosho