Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Talk to me about a 1987 BMW 635CSi

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to me about a 1987 BMW 635CSi

Found a cheap 635csi I want to look at locally. I think it could be a cool little beater for sure. I have not seen pics yet ect. I know it has a bad tranny seal and isn't being driven.

are these ok cars?
do they all blow up?
any important things I should know
is it a car I should stay away from?

we are talking a grand or less for it

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
You can't really go wrong with any car for under a grand, imo. Given its age, it's far from being the most reliable car in the world, but if you spend the time and really fix it up right and take good care of it when you drive it, it should hold up for a few years before it just becomes a huge money pit.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
any bimmer you buy for a grand or less will be a money pit. it would be silly to think otherwise. i'll give you the same advice i gave that other guy trying to buy an old bmw...get an NA miata. it won't break and is a lot of fun to drive, i drove a spec miata a few years ago and was really surprised how much fun it was. yes, they are slow but they have really sweet dynamics. it's an endearing little car. nothing you can get in your price range can beat it.

this is what im talking about

Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^still pimpin' the miata I see

Old 07-26-2009, 11:22 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
^still pimpin' the miata I see
well, these guys want a cheap option and that's the most entertaining cheap option out there...am i wrong? i never owned one of them but really had fun driving that spec on track. it was gutted and braced but i don't believe there was any major difference between it and a road version.

ps. and i like those pics! it's rockin the brawngp theme.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^I completely agree with you on the miata. I drove one in a local driving school a while back and for the money they are the perfect package.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Im not buying a Miata. Im not worried about little things. Im not worries about a track car. Im not worried about racing it. Just an overall general of if they are decent cars

Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
FIGJAM
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
Im not buying a Miata. Im not worried about little things. Im not worries about a track car. Im not worried about racing it. Just an overall general of if they are decent cars
been drinking?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Older BMW's that are cheap are money pits.

Period, end of story.

Speaking as an E30 owner who bought his for 2400 bucks and have spent close to 10 times the amount on repairs and now restoration.

Given the miles driven of over 160K miles, I am OK with the amount spent. But, I bet some kind of cheap Japanese something will get you the same 160K miles with a lot less than 20K spent.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
normally i stray away from agreeing with general statements like "old cheap bmw's are money pits" but in this case there really is no way around it.

As far as the miata goes... did you not know that Chris has a German Sheperd? I don't know if you're familiar with K-9's but German Sheperds are 2 feet taller than any miata and weigh about 200 pounds more as well

not quite as cheap as $1k, but check these out.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Not a Z06 but...
my personal favorite.

Last edited by STLG; 07-27-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about a 1987 BMW 635CSi