Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Tough Decision To Make

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:34 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Tough Decision To Make

OK, I am in need of a new car. I totaled my S4 the other day. I am fine but got a trailer hitch through the engine block. This is my first ever wreck other than hitting a deer once.

I used to have an E46 M3 and loved it. However I got an Audi S4 when i thought I was moving to Denver. Don't get me wrong. I loved the S4 and it was a great car. I am just ready for RWD again.

I have narrowed my choice down to two cars. Either a 2008 M3 coupe or a ~2007 M5. I have roughly a $65,000 budget (before taxes). What are the pros and cons of each and what would you get if it were your choice?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Depends. If you don't need the extra space of the M5, get the M3. Also, the warranty and free maintenance on a new M3 might come in handy while you'd be hard pressed to get a free maintenance or a full BMW warranty on a a used M5 (doubt you could get a new one for $65K.)

Old 04-25-2009 | 08:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
As an e92M driver I have to say that you can't go wrong with an e90/92 M3 based on its performance and comfort capabilities. My pops has an e60 M5 and its a blast too drive and well (his is 6MT), but for me the extra weigh is too much. I like the size of the M3 as I'm fond of more nimble cars in traffic. If you have more specific question let me know as have a pretty good amount of experience in both cars.

Old 06-23-2009 | 03:24 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
bobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these partsbobbie devine is infamous around these parts
the size and the weight are the 2 factors to consider. u cant expect an M5 to be as nimble as the M3 as far as fast cornering goes. but then again dont forget that the M5 was bmw s flagship vehicle when it came out...if i had to pick one, i d go with a M5. but then again i plan on having both. M5 and an E46 CSL for the race track...lol

Old 06-23-2009 | 04:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
I love the way the M5 drives and the extra room you get is perfect...
I am with Alzilla on this one, a new M3 will be less of a pain to run for the next few years

But if you change cars like Chris from CA does, then you are ok with the M5

Old 06-23-2009 | 08:42 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
E9x M3 ftw!
Track toy and daily driver at the same time...and the SC kits are coming along by now and make this car astonishingly fast.
You get a good response from the steering wheel and it feels quite nimble when compared to a heavier car....it`s no lightweight though..

if you are single or simply don`t have children you might want to take a look at the M6

But quite honestly,as much as I love BMW and respect it as something I grew up with,I have to admit that with 65k to spend,I`d have a hard time to choose between modded 996TT or 997 S and a E93 M3..

Old 06-23-2009 | 03:41 PM
mrn
Teamspeed Junior Member
mrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enoughmrn will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by E\C\B
E9x M3 ftw!
Track toy and daily driver at the same time...and the SC kits are coming along by now and make this car astonishingly fast.
You get a good response from the steering wheel and it feels quite nimble when compared to a heavier car....it`s no lightweight though..

if you are single or simply don`t have children you might want to take a look at the M6

But quite honestly,as much as I love BMW and respect it as something I grew up with,I have to admit that with 65k to spend,I`d have a hard time to choose between modded 996TT or 997 S and a E93 M3..
I totally agree with you.

If you don't need space, my choice would be a 997 S, anyday of the week! There's a sweet 997 S cab for 50,000 USD at marketplace. Man, prices are going crazy... for 65,000 USD you can get a lot more! But if your mind is closed to M3 or M5, go with the M5.

Just my 2 cents. Best regards, Alex.

Old 06-23-2009 | 03:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
i have a family of 4 so m5 was the choice for me. if you go this route, save up for gas money.