Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

M Gets Small: BMW Cutting Cylinders for M3 and 1 Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post M Gets Small: BMW Cutting Cylinders for M3 and 1 Series

BMW plans on bringing two new M cars to market in the 2014 model year; the next-generation M3 and an all-new M coupe based on the second-generation 1 Series. Both the next 3 and the next 1 Series production models will bow in late 2012 for the ’13 model year.

In keeping with M’s new philosophy of cutting cylinders/displacement while cutting weight to maintain performance levels, the next M3 will return to a six-cylinder engine. The question, M division CEO Ludwig Willisch says, is whether it will be an inline-six or a V-6. A V-6 would provide better balance and more packaging versatility, while an inline-six would be lighter, a key quality for BMW’s future, and avoid uproar among Bimmerphiles.

The new six-cylinder M engine isn’t based on the current 3.0-liter family, Willisch says, “and I’m not saying whether it is a twin turbo. It will be a turbo six-cylinder engine. That is, I’d say, almost sure. We’re really at the very, very beginning of the project. M3 hasn’t started yet.”

With a 1 Series M (the obvious name, M1, would also be problematic with hardcore BMW followers), Willisch is looking to recapture the spirit of the four-cylinder, E30 M3.

“It was the first one, and it’s so much fun to drive,” he says of the E30 M3. “And if you just look at the spec sheet, you’ll say, ‘It really won’t move.’ Twenty years ago, it was fine and now you need at least 420, 450 horsepower in order to have decent acceleration. But once you drive it, you’re really impressed because you can brake later, you can corner faster.”

That car also is in the inception stages, with BMW M working on its business case. The 1 Series M will weigh less than 2900 pounds and its turbo four must make at least 300 horsepower, Willisch says. “I would love to have a car like that in our range. It would also be a good thing to get the interest of younger customers again. This would only be a story for the next 1 Series, so you’d be looking at 2014 or so.”

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
saying good bye to large displacement V8 & V10 motors in favor of 4 & 6 bangers will be very hard thing for me to do...... Get 'em while you can I guess! Somehow a small displacement motor just doesn't stir my soul.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's a safe strategy for the future, because with their current development pace I don't see any big differences in 5-10 years time. I wouldn't think of anything that would top the current M3 performance in 4 years time with the same price range.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is a great idea. Making the M5 a v10 seemed to take away a lot of it's soul and I feel that making the M3 a V8 has done the same thing. Audi is already doing this with their next generation S4 reverting back to a 6 but this time supercharged rather than turbocharged. I'm all for light weight and smaller engines.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuck z
saying good bye to large displacement V8 & V10 motors in favor of 4 & 6 bangers will be very hard thing for me to do...... Get 'em while you can I guess! Somehow a small displacement motor just doesn't stir my soul.

Errr, I think most BMW fans will love this. Few people I know are thrilled with the trend of adding more power while adding more weight.

Smaller, racier motors will always stir my soul more than growling V8s. However, the turbo could ruin the M feel, so we'll see.

Last edited by Andrew; 04-27-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Andrew
Errr, I think most BMW fans will love this. Few people I know are thrilled with the trend of adding more power while adding more weight.

Smaller, racier motors will always stir my soul more than growling V8s. However, the turbo could ruin the M feel, so we'll see.
The M edge, although still present, is starting to lose itself. Lighter cars, that make tangible sacrifices, with more emphasis on a focused driving experience, that is stimulating to the viscera, is where BMW needs to head with M cars. To consumers, there should be a distinct approach to M cars that is easily recognizable - and it should be diverging from Audi S/RS and Mercedes AMG cars.

Last edited by M5Kid; 04-24-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
when they say soul...they mean heavy car...

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
hmm...downsizing...
that`s BS

why are the cars so fat?

That`s because BMW went the luxury sedan rpute on their Ms..
all that fancy equipment and the heavy insulation material to keep the interior silent is sky rocketing the weight of the car...

Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
And in other news, please buy our two-and-a-bit ton, twin-turbo V8 SUVs. Wait, what?

Seriously, an M1 sounds very nice!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniRup
And in other news, please buy our two-and-a-bit ton, twin-turbo V8 SUVs. Wait, what?

Seriously, an M1 sounds very nice!
The markets calling them. And, I'm sure they see opportunity by shifting focus in their coupe/sedan M cars.

Quick Reply: M Gets Small: BMW Cutting Cylinders for M3 and 1 Series