Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Evo Review: Upgraded Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Evo Review: Upgraded Lexus IS-F

Lexus IS-F road test review

Lexus IS-F road test review
Rating:

Lexus upgrades IS-F super saloon with proper limited slip diff. evo's first to try it

What is it?

The updated Lexus IS-F complete with a new sat nav system and new colour choices. Oh, and the small matter of a proper limited slip diff instead of the electric diff of the first generation IS-F super saloon. It now costs £55,995.

Technical highlights?

The torsen (torque sensing) diff, the addition of which is claimed to lop two seconds off the IS-F's lap time at the Fuji circuit thanks to improved traction and stability in high-speed corners.

What’s it like to drive?

In a word, even better. The electronic diff in the previous IS-F was just a part of its stability system, braking a spinning inside wheel, but not doing much to help traction. You’d come out of a corner and sense the car holding back slightly, before snapping straight as the brake released and firing forwards down the next straight, 5.0-litre V8 snarling away. It was a neat party trick in its own right and we loved the way it drove, but it didn’t flow nearly as well as this version.

Pull away in the new car on full lock and you get the telltale hunt and shunt from the drivetrain, but from there on the two cars feel almost identical until you really start working the throttle through corners. What strikes you first is not only how much earlier you can get on the power, but how much harder. The rear end stays faithful for a long time and when the lateral forces do finally overcome the diff’s tenacious hold, the IS-F slides very progressively. OK, if you give it a bootful in second gear you’ll need to be quick with the lock, but on a cross-country strop it feels playful and well balanced, feeding the power in smoothly and consistently.

The front end still isn’t as keyed in as the M3’s, mainly because the steering isn’t as well weighted and consistent, but I reckon rear end traction, grip and accuracy are a match for the BMWs, and the IS-F does have a truly bonkers engine, a proper roarer that goes rabid over 3700rpm.

How does it compare?

Very well against the BMW M3. The fact it’s not quite as fluent is mainly due to the steering and the over-active rebound damping, but it’s genuinely charismatic – enough to give the Mercedes C63 AMG a fair few headaches. Let’s just hope, in this post Lexus LFA world, potential buyers can see past the badge.

Anything else I need to know?

You can now have the interior trimmed in white leather (please don’t), the bodywork painted in this rather fetching blue and standard features include a DAB radio, 10gb music hard drive and HDD sat nav – claimed to be one of the fastest-responding and most accurate systems in the world. But the best news, as anyone who’s battled a Lexus sat nav will know, is that it’s now programmable on the move.

Diff makes whole car feel more precise and fluent
Price has gone up, ride hasn’t improved

Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Just read that this afternoon. There are too many other options in the 4 door performance division for me to be sincerely interested, but it would be a cool car for a wife or girlfriend. They look cool, sound good, and move well.

I'd bet with snow tires and the limited slip/electronic aids it would be fine in the white stuff too.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Just read that this afternoon. There are too many other options in the 4 door performance division for me to be sincerely interested, but it would be a cool car for a wife or girlfriend. They look cool, sound good, and move well.

I'd bet with snow tires and the limited slip/electronic aids it would be fine in the white stuff too.
have you driven one? don't necessarily disagree but what cars are you referring to specifically? i think most wives or girlfriends would be fine with an IS250.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure they would, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool!

Never driven one, although I'd like to. I just mean I'd prefer an RS4, E39 M5, C63, etc. over an IS-F.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Who cares about LSD, how about a proper transmission for crying out loud?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
FIGJAM

Never driven one, although I'd like to. I just mean I'd prefer an RS4, E39 M5, C63, etc. over an IS-F.
rs4 or e39 m5 i can agree with, the latter especially i love! i have a female friend with a c63 (i equate that as a girls car because of this i suppose) and the front end just doesn't communicate, i didn't really enjoy it but i can't stand lack of feel in cars (or understeer for that matter). you should try the is-f, it will surprise. i thought it would be so-so until i drove one but i was impressed. maybe because i had such a low bar going into it but i thought it's dynamics weren't bad. the addition of a torsen would be a huge improvement i think, all the torsen equipped cars i have driven have been spot on with the distribution. that 8 speed is overkill though, it seemed as if it would always be hunting for a gear or changing gear. manual would have been best but that's not going to happen, 7 speed DSG is the logical choice but they haven't even put that in the lf-a which is very strange.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
FIGJAM
Originally Posted by stuka
Who cares about LSD, how about a proper transmission for crying out loud?
LSD is a big deal my friend. using the brakes to lock up the inside rear wheel ("electronic" diff) is disconcerting to say the least.

i agree wholeheartedly regarding the manual gearbox but we are in the minority nowadays. hell, ferrari won't even offer one anymore.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget than an e90M stomps the sh!t out of an IS-F

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 PM
FIGJAM
Originally Posted by JC919
Don't forget than an e90M stomps the sh!t out of an IS-F
i prefer it too but "stomps the shit out of"? not quite.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
When I test drove one of these, the salesman commented on how big the wing mirrors were, to aid visibility backwards.

Lexus, a brand for old guys.

Quick Reply: Evo Review: Upgraded Lexus IS-F