Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

Official Pedal Power Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
I have:

Yeah it's over 100g but goddamn it's amazing. I have a Toupe on the track bike that I like a lot as well.

I need to get on my bikes. I haven't been on any of them due to a hand injury but once it heals I'll be back.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura aboutTheYoungConnoisseur has a spectacular aura about
I can see the CF peeking thru on the back so does it have any padding or just carbon wrapped in leather?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur
I can see the CF peeking thru on the back so does it have any padding or just carbon wrapped in leather?
It's got plenty of strategically-placed padding. I've got maybe 2k miles on it and it's never let me down. Plenty of 4+ hour rides too. I don't think I could ever be content switching it out. It's obscenely light and just as comfortable. Well...maybe if I got the newer version but...it's a saddle, these things don't exactly change a remarkable amount from year to year. I think the current one weighs in at 115g and comes in at just around $230 at ProBikeKit (first result on Google as a reference point).

Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
For you roadies, I think I want one... Few friends have convinced me but, damn! Road bikes are insanely priced... And another thing, so many people say how bad aluminum is compared to cf and how it wont handle a bigger guy... I am 230 lbs, not likely going to get under 220 anytime soon. Will I have a problem with an aluminum frame or what do you guys think for starter bike?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eddiecut
For you roadies, I think I want one... Few friends have convinced me but, damn! Road bikes are insanely priced... And another thing, so many people say how bad aluminum is compared to cf and how it wont handle a bigger guy... I am 230 lbs, not likely going to get under 220 anytime soon. Will I have a problem with an aluminum frame or what do you guys think for starter bike?
Eddie
A good friend of mine weighs in excess of 250 and he rides a carbon frame. What you will most likely encounter are a higher incidence of flats than someone that weighs less. Also, you may need to stick to less expensive wheels as the vast majority I higher end wheels have weight limits that tap out at or near 200 lbs. if you live in a relatively flat area it's no so much of a big deal to go heavier but if you have hills...yikes. Weight becomes more crucial.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 AM
nrz
Teamspeed Senior Member
nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Eddie: I started riding at 235 pounds and am now 200 thanks to the sport of cycling. I ride an aluminum Cannondale road bike. At 220 pounds I upgraded the wheels to Mavic Kyserium Elite wheels, they were almost 1 pound lighter than the wheels on the bike and I only once knocked a wheel out of true and that was crash/mishap related. I've always run a high performance tire in the summer and something a little thicker in the winter and never expirenced more flats then people weighing 155ish (you just need to watch the bumps/potholes). If you have money to blow go carbon, it is a nicer more comfortable ride. If you go aluminum make sure you at least get a carbon fork (preferably full carbon including the steertube). Remember to save money for shoes/pedals, a good pair of shorts, jersey and helmet (if you don't already have that stuff).

Maxemus: Boyd wheels make a wheel (can't remember the model off the top of my head) coming in around 1500 grams which is pretty dang low for a clincher with no weight limit. At under $600 bucks, they are very popular on bikeforums.com.

Found them: Vitesse alloy clincher - Boyd Cycling

I've left my error above about the weight but a wheel that can hold 240 should be good enough for your buddy, what's 10 extra pounds?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I ended up ordering a Stradalli from ebay. Sram force, FSA carbon cranks, compact gearing. Now comes the long wait for it to ship diagonally across the entire US from FL to Seattle. Just about couldn't get any longer. Ah well, I'm out of town till friday and then probably headed to BC for the weekend anyway.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I ended up ordering a Stradalli from ebay. Sram force, FSA carbon cranks, compact gearing. Now comes the long wait for it to ship diagonally across the entire US from FL to Seattle. Just about couldn't get any longer. Ah well, I'm out of town till friday and then probably headed to BC for the weekend anyway.

Congrats big guy. Enjoy it in great health. Now you can start hammering those gears

Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NRZ
Congrats on the weight loss. That's amazing. I was also a bit on the husky side and have managed to get all the way to 184 from 214.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM
nrz
Teamspeed Senior Member
nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thank you sir. I had been a mountain biker since 16 but wasn't going much the last few years and moving in with the g/f it all started rolling downhill. Luckily I have a friend at the LBS in town and he hooked me up to get started. Over 5000 miles later I'm happier than I have been in the last 5 years! If I watched what I ate I could be 190, which happens to be the goal at this point, 185 - 190.

Quick Reply: Official Pedal Power Thread