Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Holy crap guys I'm tired just reading this thread.

I can't wait for the 2027 version of this thread on TeamSpeed when all you youngsters are 40 plus.

I guess all the lifting I did when I was in my 20's did me no good. I like Sex, Wife, Sex with wife, Food and Kids in that order. I'll workout later.

I was going to write a book about weight loss but it was too short

Eat Less
Work Out

It doesn't matter what you eat or what you do for exercise. I guarantee if you guys do those 2 things it will work
I'm 40!
And training something 5 days a week. I've been at it a while, and know what to look for as far as over training, injury, etc. I know what it feels like to not workout, and never want to feel that way again.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
I use to be in shape... In college drinking and eating well with a girlfriend got me from a usual 175 to a 192. I hired Toby Wright [the ex-safety from the St. Louis Rams] as my personal trainer and he kicked my ass. I got pretty ripped up, but I was also taking ephedrine as well. Lost 30 pounds in one month.

After college I went through a bad phase where I ate like crap, was unhappy about the ex, and some other stuff... Got myself up to 198lbs.

I shedded 10lb quickly by eating healthier. Wasn't until this summer that I made the big change.

I fluctuate between 165-170 now.

I try to go to the gym 5 days a week, but with the shitty weather it's such a pain. Realistically as of lately I've been going only 3 days a week - which is a total bummer.

Regardless, I still do a minimum of 100 push-ups when I wake up. Typically 40-40-20 or 30-30-40. On my off days or the days when I don't have the desire to go to the gym I try to do no less than 300 a day. Also do dips as well, though not as many as I should be doing.

It's amazing at how much of a difference simple push-ups can do.

I've always had the weakest chest ever. When I first started working out - I couldn't put 90lbs up 30 times [3 sets of 10]. It's now about 8 months later and I'm comfortably putting up 175lb 30 times. Would love to do more, but I don't really like asking strangers for a spot because then they ask me to spot them every time i see them at the gym. Really need to get a buddy to sign up to the gym to go regular with me so I can try to push myself further.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond repute
On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday I do my "intense" workouts. These usually consist of very short breaks in between sets and literally pushing myself until it is no longer possible to do another set. Then I always finish those days with a conditioning test of some sort..always sprints. After that I do a nice easy half mile jog on the treadmill to work out the stiffness.

On Wednesday and Friday I usually just do a nice light mile jog then some shoulder exercises. These help allow my body to recover so I am able to really push myself on the intense days.

When I got home in the fall I weighed 202 lbs. After following this routine for about 3 months I have added 20 lbs. of good muscle and am in the best shape of my life. I've been eating anywhere from 4-5x per day. I have tried to stay away from unhealthy fast food such as McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell etc. Although, I do eat a lot of subs and burritos. My trainer has told me those are good for me to eat though since I am burning so many calories per day.

A big thing to remember is when trying to gain muscle mass is to STRETCH! Stretching IMO is one of the most important things to do to build lean muscle. It helps keep your muscles long and loose and you can also maintain your range of motion.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I'm sorry. I just don't want to be "that guy" but 20lbs of pure muscle mass in 3months? No way Jose.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I can definitely see dropping that amount of weight in 3 months (I have done it in 3 weeks FML), but to gain 20 pounds of muscle?? Only with steroids have I heard of that.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jmusser3r

After following this routine for about 3 months I have added 20 lbs. of good muscle and am in the best shape of my life.
After being around a lot of guys who have done that, and being that guy once myself; I know how that was/is done... and it isn't natural. Nor worth it for oh so many reasons.

A big thing to remember is when trying to gain muscle mass is to STRETCH! Stretching IMO is one of the most important things to do to build lean muscle. It helps keep your muscles long and loose and you can also maintain your range of motion.
This is gospel.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
^^ I'm sorry. I just don't want to be "that guy" but 20lbs of pure muscle mass in 3months? No way Jose.
Originally Posted by SoCal
I can definitely see dropping that amount of weight in 3 months (I have done it in 3 weeks FML), but to gain 20 pounds of muscle?? Only with steroids have I heard of that.
I understand why you don't believe it, heck I hardly believe it. Keep in mind I am only 19 and this is the first time I have ever consistently worked out. I believe it is all muscle because even on the conditioning tests my time has greatly improved and I have added 20 lbs. I believe if I were gaining fat/bad weight I would be staying the same or getting worse at the conditioning tests. I get my body fat measured again in March so I am curious to see what it will be. I am feeling better than I have ever felt in my life physically, which I love.

Maybe i'll meet you at 15 lbs. of muscle, 5 lbs. of fat

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
TeH Ears
I understand why you don't believe it, heck I hardly believe it. Keep in mind I am only 19 and this is the first time I have ever consistently worked out. I believe it is all muscle because even on the conditioning tests my time has greatly improved and I have added 20 lbs. I believe if I were gaining fat/bad weight I would be staying the same or getting worse at the conditioning tests. I get my body fat measured again in March so I am curious to see what it will be. I am feeling better than I have ever felt in my life physically, which I love.

Maybe i'll meet you at 15 lbs. of muscle, 5 lbs. of fat
I'd wager that most of it is water weight bro. Not slagging you, but after letting us know that you're 19 and fairly new to working out, that says a LOT. Please understand that it is not physically possible to put that much muscle on in three months. There are so many factors that would prevent that. Not the least of which are the various bodily systems cannot sustain that added mass, nervous/cardiovascular/nervous demands.

You cannot tear down, and replace muscle cross section in that period of time.

At your age, and being the first time you've really committed to working out; you're testosterone is raging like it never will once you pass 21-25 years of age.

It rocks that you're killing it in the gym bro, but you have to understand that you're simply holding water. You are absolutely getting bigger, but it isn't physically possible to do 20 pounds in that amount of time.

Only juice would do that. And even then, 20 pounds from gear would not be permanent.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
I'll add My thoughts on this subject tomorrow but I can tell you I went from 82kg computer nerd to 98kg gym-rat in about 1.5years and I thought that was pure muscle. Today, I weigh in at 87kg and I'm just as strong (weak?) as I was at 98kg.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
It took me 7 years to get to my current weight (225), and I am not even a "big" guy. You know those guys that you see that are big and cut, but not freakishly huge? They have been working hard for a decade or more, most likely, and have to keep at it constantly just to maintain it. Don't be discouraged, and keep pushing hard bro.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread