Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTDoom Drives The 918 Spyder ( faster than Jay Leno , So There ! )

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent write up and post WTDoom!

Do you happen to know if the McLaren P1 works like the 918 in Sport Mode; essentially, the gas engine AND electric motors are working together with the throttle application of the driver?

Put another way - with the 918 you have a 900hp car all of the time, at least until the batteries have no more charge.

With the P1, do you basically have a 727hp car at all times unless you are pressing the IPAS button to get the full 903hp?

Which wouldn't sound right... You'd be trying to do a hot lap around the 'Ring in a P1, and among all the other things you'd have to concentrate on, you'd have to figure out when & where you could press the IPAS button for another 176hp.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing write-up!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
A+++ read. Thank you for letting us into the supercar life most of us dream of.
Originally Posted by Alexscud
thanks for sharing , WTDoom !
Congrats for your new supercar , posting also in the future your driving impressions ..
Originally Posted by MC321
Amazing write-up!
Thank you gents , ill keep posting as and when .

Originally Posted by La Artist
Big up for the report.
918 is a serious ass machine, anyone that thought it would be anything less does not know porsche.
Agreed . It may not be the fastest in a straight line but underestimate the quality and thoroughness of the engineering at your peril . It is a very complete car indeed .

Originally Posted by LeatherFoot
What wheels are you going for, the standard or the Magnesium wheels?

..or rather which one looked better
Mag look MUCH better in my eyes

Originally Posted by bluewonder
I live in Berlin, too.

This would be FUN TAS TIC...

EXCITEMENT DELUXE!

cheers!
Its a small world lol

Originally Posted by Zeus
Excellent write up and post WTDoom!

Do you happen to know if the McLaren P1 works like the 918 in Sport Mode; essentially, the gas engine AND electric motors are working together with the throttle application of the driver?

Put another way - with the 918 you have a 900hp car all of the time, at least until the batteries have no more charge.

With the P1, do you basically have a 727hp car at all times unless you are pressing the IPAS button to get the full 903hp?

Which wouldn't sound right... You'd be trying to do a hot lap around the 'Ring in a P1, and among all the other things you'd have to concentrate on, you'd have to figure out when & where you could press the IPAS button for another 176hp.
I think the mac works similar to the 918 you dont push to get full power . The ipas affect the aero of the car as well as the power I think . P1 drives are for " later this year " and ill keep you posted if you are interested .

The thing is I do not have enough information for how long you will have the full power . in the 918 its constant the recharging rate is amazing , I know the mac doesnt do brake regen so it will be interesting to get the full lowdown of how long one has full power .

To be fair though I am convinced these 2 cars do slightly different jobs in a very similar way .

I would expect the p1 to be faster on track and the 918 to be faster in the real world .On broken european driving roads the instant torque , 4wd , 4ws , tv will be very hard to match in 2wd . Things like the f12 already struggle for traction .

In the wet it will obviously be no contest .

Exciting supercar times for sure

Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
boyko23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by wtdoom

I would expect the p1 to be faster on track and the 918 to be faster in the real world .
What makes you think so? P1 is lighter, but 918 has 4WD, 4WS and as you also stated tremendous capabilities in corners...
Both have almost equal power output...

Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
LeatherFoot is an unknown quantity at this point
I really doubt P1 would be faster around track.

Do you know anything about any 918 without electric motors that porsche is rumored to be working on?

Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by LeatherFoot
I really doubt P1 would be faster around track.

Do you know anything about any 918 without electric motors that porsche is rumored to be working on?
Now that would be interesting, although dont thin there is a chance in hell it would happen

Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
LeatherFoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by woppum
Now that would be interesting, although dont thin there is a chance in hell it would happen

I believe that is just a rumor, I completely doubt porsche would do that. It certainly contradicts the message behind the 918 project.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Although could well be called a 960!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Hi Wtdoom,

thanks for this nice write up here...probably one of the first non journalist reviews ...well written..and if you as a C-GT owner are postivly surprised by this car..then I believe you..

If you really consider this car..my advice would be to wait a bit more. Its by far not yet sold out..like the P1, I presonally wouldnt put so much money down before:

a) knowing the P1
b) having a rough estimate of hwo this thing would depreciate..you just want to avoid loosing 300K in 6 month. Im pretty sure this wont happen to the Ferrari..but this one here is a new concept...and people are hesitant. Put differently, if only half of them are sold now..is that a good argument for second hand prices? Anyway, youre lucky enough to have the C-GT..and what you might loose on the 918 you would get back on the C-GT.

Oh, one more comment, I have seen more beautiful female guide´s..but not at Porsche..

Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
@Wtdoom - thanks for this!
US Roadshow was just cancelled, I'm bummed!

Quick Reply: WTDoom Drives The 918 Spyder ( faster than Jay Leno , So There ! )