Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 991 GT3 First Drive - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
US builds begin in October. Allocations became official a week ago.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Member
Forgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
I think the optional 20 inch wheels look amazing. And the wheel/tire combination seems to work flawlessly.
I'm old enough to remember the strident cries of "sacrilege!" as each succeeding generation of cars would fit larger and larger wheels.
Well, as I have always said, the engineers build these cars with all the bits to work in harmony. The lower profile tires are lighter, more responsive and reduce the moment of inertia. The big 20s also allow larger brakes to be fitted. When properly calibrated with spring rates and shock valving, the ride is fabulous. And those 20s look FABULOUS!
Some day soon, we will see 21s. It will happen. And, of course, we will hear those strident cries again.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Teamspeed Member
Turbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
I think the optional 20 inch wheels look amazing. And the wheel/tire combination seems to work flawlessly.
I'm old enough to remember the strident cries of "sacrilege!" as each succeeding generation of cars would fit larger and larger wheels.
Well, as I have always said, the engineers build these cars with all the bits to work in harmony. The lower profile tires are lighter, more responsive and reduce the moment of inertia. The big 20s also allow larger brakes to be fitted. When properly calibrated with spring rates and shock valving, the ride is fabulous. And those 20s look FABULOUS!
Some day soon, we will see 21s. It will happen. And, of course, we will hear those strident cries again.
They might look amazing, but AFAIK, there are no 20" track slick options available yet....

Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
Forgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond reputeForgedwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turbo Al
They might look amazing, but AFAIK, there are no 20" track slick options available yet....
Sure, it will always take a while for the competition tires to follow. But the cries of "Sacrilege!" were not about the tires.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Oh yes..21 will happen..except that Porsche CUP and so on are on 17/18..and the F1 has never seen a change since the early 70s..they must be so retared with their 13s.right.?

Marketing is one thing - winning on a race track is something else.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
Red face

Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Oh yes..21 will happen..except that Porsche CUP and so on are on 17/18..and the F1 has never seen a change since the early 70s..they must be so retared with their 13s.right.?

Marketing is one thing - winning on a race track is something else.
Uh oh! I guess I poked the sleeping Pitbull.
IMHO, Porsche designed the new GT3 to be wicked fast with great handling. They didn't have to offer it with 20s, but they did. It would be very interesting to see back-to-back 'Ring times with 19s vs 20s. My money would be on the 20s.
Same as the mighty GTR. I absolutely KNOW Nissan considered 19s. They proved to me the 20s were quicker. So that's what they put on the car.
The Ferrari 458 also comes with 20s. And not because the 20s are slower.
Truth is, if you design the car with these wheel/tire combinations in mind, they work very well.
I know that the track guys still use a lot of 18s, but its because of the tire SELECTION and tire COST.
20 inch race tires will come. 18" tires will go. Many will complain.

Progress can be painful. But the new GT3 looks like a BLAST to drive. Can't wait.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
grant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished roadgrant is on a distinguished road
Sure, it will always take a while for the competition tires to follow. But the cries of "Sacrilege!" were not about the tires.
I can tell you that buying new tires and brakes is a frequent part of track driving and the 15" tires for my 73 911 are a small fraction of the cost of 20" tires - and of course the frequency of replacement is much higher with a heavy car like the 991 GT3 also. It makes going to the track frequently (I like to go weekly in the warm months) a very expensive proposition.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Uh oh! I guess I poked the sleeping Pitbull.
IMHO, Porsche designed the new GT3 to be wicked fast with great handling. They didn't have to offer it with 20s, but they did. It would be very interesting to see back-to-back 'Ring times with 19s vs 20s. My money would be on the 20s.
Same as the mighty GTR. I absolutely KNOW Nissan considered 19s. They proved to me the 20s were quicker. So that's what they put on the car.
The Ferrari 458 also comes with 20s. And not because the 20s are slower.
Truth is, if you design the car with these wheel/tire combinations in mind, they work very well.
I know that the track guys still use a lot of 18s, but its because of the tire SELECTION and tire COST.
20 inch race tires will come. 18" tires will go. Many will complain.

Progress can be painful. But the new GT3 looks like a BLAST to drive. Can't wait.
No sleeping pit bull here... hey, you might be correct when it comes to street cars...but I remain firm on my opinion about race cars. This 20 or 21 bling is just for show..otherwise it would have been in racing already for a long time..we are in 2013 now buddy...so if your theory was correct..they should all be upgrading to 21 soon (bu the opposite is true, some reverted even to 17)..I bet you one beer that it wont happent next year..neither in 2015..

You have forgotten that ist not only about cost..talk to race drivers and they will tell you how important it is to have the tires taking up some suspension work when the car goes over curbs etc..

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond repute
I've tracked M3's and I would only do it with 18" wheels. The smaller the better, IMO.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
What he said. Sweet spot is 18. Anything larger is just a little too rigid. Might work in another brand car, but a 21 is too rigid. Would make the car too stiff and too tail happy. Sometimes stiff is good, sometimes you need to take it out. Larger wheels prevent that.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 991 GT3 First Drive - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS