Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 991 GT3 First Drive - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
erikig is on a distinguished roaderikig is on a distinguished roaderikig is on a distinguished roaderikig is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nigoape1
can someone tell me wht is the name of the colour chris is driving in this vdo?

Rhodium Siver???

GT silver?

i'm sure is not Argate silver...
I'm interested in that too, it seems too 'matte' to be either Silver or Rhodium Metallic...

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
nigoape1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by erikig
I'm interested in that too, it seems too 'matte' to be either Silver or Rhodium Metallic...
just received the answer from my dealer the color of that GT3 is a a GT silver...!!now i'm going for the GT instead of the white.

2nd issue is whether i want the ceramics or not..some say yes if i go to track and some say no since i dont go that often...

Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Teamspeed Member
j03chu is an unknown quantity at this point
991 gt3...

Originally Posted by Carrera
So as with any new car, it is better in every way possible, but compromises some of the flaws which made the previous car so special.

IMO there is no avoiding the progress that is PDK. Manual would be "better", but the lack of it only adds to the charm, character, and desirability of the older cars.

That is what is so great about the 911, every time the change it, there is and equal gain and loss on either end, which gives each generation something about it; a different soul, all are more or less equally as good.
^^^ QFT.

Such a gorgeous car. That engine!

As for the lack of having a proper manual transmission, Carrera said it just right:

Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by nigoape1
just received the answer from my dealer the color of that GT3 is a a GT silver...!!now i'm going for the GT instead of the white.

2nd issue is whether i want the ceramics or not..some say yes if i go to track and some say no since i dont go that often...
People have got it the wrong way round, my friend. Go for the big reds if you go to the track often. Get ceramics if you just want to go for spirited driving and mostly city driving. They brake better, and show less fade.

If you encounter the unlucky situation of your ceramic pads grinding onto your discs, things will get very very expensive, that is why you don't drive ceramics on track. Steelies are so much cheaper to run on track. Never let the pads go under 50% on the ceramics, always renew them before the 40%-50% mark. If you wanted to start tracking a lot, just whack in some steel brembo discs, and ferodo pads along with your ceramic calipers and exhibit your ceramic discs in your living room until you sell the car.

I would go with ceramics in your situation, for looks (they look a lot better in my opinion) and bragging rights, as well as better braking for your needs! :-)

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by zooyorker
People have got it the wrong way round, my friend. Go for the big reds if you go to the track often. Get ceramics if you just want to go for spirited driving and mostly city driving. They brake better, and show less fade.

If you encounter the unlucky situation of your ceramic pads grinding onto your discs, things will get very very expensive, that is why you don't drive ceramics on track. Steelies are so much cheaper to run on track. Never let the pads go under 50% on the ceramics, always renew them before the 40%-50% mark. If you wanted to start tracking a lot, just whack in some steel brembo discs, and ferodo pads along with your ceramic calipers and exhibit your ceramic discs in your living room until you sell the car.

I would go with ceramics in your situation, for looks (they look a lot better in my opinion) and bragging rights, as well as better braking for your needs! :-)
finally somebody said it how it is!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
nigoape1 is an unknown quantity at this point
cool...thanks for yr opinion Zooyorker and will go with thoughts...!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
lets hope the fit and finish's is as good as the drive.....one unlucky customer!!!!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold
I need this so bad.

I understand the disappointment with the lack of manual option, but this PDK has got to be so good, or it would not be the only option.

I remember when I got my first SMG M3, I had come from several manual M3's previously, and I was smitten with the idea that it would be so precise... how far this technology has come... I seriously if given the option would take a PDK over a manual right now.

Maybe I am one of the few, but for me it is about enjoyment, and I think I would enjoy this better.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
WindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 12:03
I need this so bad.

I understand the disappointment with the lack of manual option, but this PDK has got to be so good, or it would not be the only option.

I remember when I got my first SMG M3, I had come from several manual M3's previously, and I was smitten with the idea that it would be so precise... how far this technology has come... I seriously if given the option would take a PDK over a manual right now.

Maybe I am one of the few, but for me it is about enjoyment, and I think I would enjoy this better.
And I think you're right there. It isn't about what's harder and more demanding to drive but about what you enjoy the most driving. I don't think this GT3 is a dissapointment, but rather a change, and we all know that with chages there is always an amount of disconformity, regardless of the change.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 991 GT3 First Drive - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS