Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT cars losing their soul

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
patrick95 is on a distinguished roadpatrick95 is on a distinguished road
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Fair enough.

No 918 plans?
Nope. That car at $1m doesn't do it for me. I'm getting another GT2 RS or Carrera GT. I consider the owner a good friend of mine and he is worthy of ownership. And I can get it back pretty easy. As for tracking the new GT3, not gonna happen. It absolutely stupid to track a street car when you have a Cup Car. There is zero comparison. Well, not zero, but a good bit of difference. I have a 2014 Cup Car coming anyway.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
hmm..is that to show that new GTs will not loose their sool?

First time I hear super car leaving with smoking tires - but not hearing the engine..not a very convincing argument for the 918..at least for me.

The design is good - but the engine sound is: terrible.

thanks for the video..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Originally Posted by GTCole
Nope. That car at $1m doesn't do it for me. I'm getting another GT2 RS or Carrera GT. I consider the owner a good friend of mine and he is worthy of ownership. And I can get it back pretty easy. As for tracking the new GT3, not gonna happen. It absolutely stupid to track a street car when you have a Cup Car. There is zero comparison. Well, not zero, but a good bit of difference. I have a 2014 Cup Car coming anyway.
Ah, now youre back on track....with a GT2RS or aC-GT you never do something wrong.

Nevertheless, if its called a GT3 - no matter whether 991 or 996 - it must be able to do trackdays.

But CUPs are better for this..thought about buying one too..but maintenance is not cheap..that thing is "drinking money"..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
suhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jumping_horse

What I had heard is that the exhaust-note is not final.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
hmm..is that to show that new GTs will not loose their sool?

First time I hear super car leaving with smoking tires - but not hearing the engine..not a very convincing argument for the 918..at least for me.

thanks for the video..
the exhaust sound is not final, and many other things. although inside the cabin it wasn't too bad at all. that's why Porsche didn't want us to take video there. it would give them bad press i guess. i like what they're doing to gather feedbacks from the real world owners. it's still a heavy prototype at this point.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of who is "right" and who is "wrong" in this debate ---- will the introduction of the PDK only 991 GT3 make the 997.2 GT3 with a 6 speed and the 3.8 motor that much more attractive to buy/own/track? I personally love those cars and really would love one down the line....regardless of what the new GT3 is....

Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTCole
Agree; that car does nothing for me. Your 2014 Cup will have the real engine, the next GT3 won't. Rahal is a pro driver, he can handle the car haha.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
turboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enoughturboad will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 20C4S
the car is not done yet obviously. i think it's a good decision for Porsche to include previous GT owners' feedback along the way in the development process. can't say much due to the signed NDA. the exhaust note is not final. performance figure is not final. so it's still very early to tell how the real deal would feel like. the car we rode in had limited rev & power, but it's pretty impressive as is. Porsche is trying hard to sell the E-mobility idea, which is still the main thing that bugs me the most. but it is what it is. look from the technology side this thing is a marvel. however, how long would this ''state of art'' technology last is the main concern, not to mention the warranty of it.

the car felt great. felt so much more civilized & forgiving than the CGT. that, is a problem for the purist looking for the ultimate driving thrill. not to say the car is not fun. i had a blast. but even the test driver was selling the idea of how big of a computer it is & it is the future of super car. less involving? i don't know. but for sure it's not just a pure car anymore. it's a giant computer wonder.
Thank for sharing the info. I cant wait to get into one, i really dont know what to expect till a couple of months ahead.

Carrera gt is a harsh aggressive beast, and whenever i drive it my concentration level is like 110%.

I was talking to the man behind the 918 project and he told me it would be more of a daily driver than the cgt. Better ground clearance easier drivability with the dsg gearbox and all that... But like you said all those electronics are a big question mark at the moment.

I really hope porsche are listening here. Please make this car as fun to drive as a ferrari 458( Naughty and tailhappy when you want it to be and with a flick of a switch a comfy daily driver.)

Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
they lost there soul when they stopped building the air cooled cars imo

Quick Reply: GT cars losing their soul