Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   This might not sit well with some - 2013 GT3 May be PDK Only (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69820-might-not-sit-well-some-2013-gt3-may-pdk-only.html)

WSC 02-14-2012 03:01 PM

The original story from Inside Line says only one transmission will make it to the GT3. Maybe Porsche will change their mind...at least, I hope they will.

If both transmissions can handle the juice, why bother forcing people one way or another? It's not like people won't pay extra for it if Porsche asks.

samuel.g 02-14-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sinan (Post 1238714)
I'm pretty sure Porsche reads forums like TS and pays attention to what the people think/demand.

I mean the Carrera has both options - what makes you think the GT3 won't ?

That's what makes me think, as someone said earlier, that this "possibility" statement was made to cause a stir and observe people's reactions. It would be completely illogical and futile of Porsche to offer the GT3 in PDK-only when its lesser platform has the option of coming in a 7 speed manual. Not only that, it would completely ruin what the GT3 stands for and would most likely steer quite a few purists away from the ordering forms of the 991 GT car. I wouldn't be surprised, however, to see the latter released with both transmission options; it would be the most intelligent compromise. I would be very curious to see what the percentage of manual transmission orders would be, and depending on which side the balance leans it would give Porsche a good indication of how much space its purist clientele still occupies. Seeing as how the RS projects were successful and just considering their very existence, it's clear to me that for the moment Porsche still wants to offer an exciting product for the purist, one that comes with a manual transmission.

.:Raul 02-14-2012 03:16 PM

90% of people that buy this car cannot get close to it 0-60 or whatever stat Porsche puts out there. And they don't care.

The feeling that a manual transmission gives is something the PDK won't be able to synthosise

Zeus 02-14-2012 03:30 PM

Porsche should offer both transmissions on all models, period.

If I were to buy a "base" 911, I'd want a manual.
For the GT3/RS, a manual.
For the Turbo/S - PDK.
GT2/RS - definitely PDK.
Just my preferences...

Hope Porsche is watching this thread. Seems like they may want to "rush" the GT3 & Turbo out the door. Develop both versions. Perfect it. Test the hell out of it. Offer it to customers when it has been done right, even if it means a year or more delay - everyone will be happy in the end.

ECB 02-14-2012 03:34 PM

a lot of hate towards that idea....don`t think it`s good,

BUT(!)

what if they offered a racing pedigree tranny as found in race cars like the Cup car

maybe a tweaked PDK version that acts and feels like a 6 speed sequential transmission?

GT3RS 02-14-2012 03:41 PM

Please don't make the next GT3 PDK only :(

cream168 02-14-2012 05:34 PM

Noo Porsche you can't do this! Offering only PDK on the GT3 is like Mercedes Benz offering a stick only, it just does not make sense! Don't do it...

lopro 02-14-2012 06:42 PM

In my own personal opinion porsche is ruining the gt3. too bad too I was just beginning to think they were onto the right path with the 997 and 4.0L.
I guess everyone being so pleased with the manual in the 997 doesnt matter much..

This sucks -> I for one am done with porsche if they dont offer a manual

Milanno 02-14-2012 06:48 PM

Maybe we should put things like this:

Porsche 991 Mk1 GT3: Manual (and maybe as an option PDK)
Porsche 991 Mk2 GT3: PDK (only)

Now they will put manual most probably, but next time GT3 (we must face rough reality) will be PDK only :(

Overtaker 02-14-2012 06:52 PM

Ferrari and Lamborghini ditched the manual trans because only a handful of customers were actually ordering them. Less than 5% of Lamborghini customers were ordering the manual trans.

What percentage of 997 Turbo sales were manual transmission? Turbo buyers aren't exactly the same as GT3 buyers, but it'll give you an idea.