Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   This might not sit well with some - 2013 GT3 May be PDK Only (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69820-might-not-sit-well-some-2013-gt3-may-pdk-only.html)

lopro 02-14-2012 07:37 PM

they are saying 30%, I dont understand where they come up with this stat because 100% of the gt3's were produced with a manual gearbox. So all 100% of the buyers bought a manual gearbox. How they plan on totaly flipping the script to an all pdk only gt3 makes absolutly zero sense

PatrickHenry 02-14-2012 07:53 PM

i drive a manual because i like to drive. i dont drive a newer porsche because they are way out of my price range. i have never driven on a track and have no clue where a track even is. what percentage of miles is a porsche actually on the track?

calculation:

= none of this matters to porsche. they are not selling cars to me. however, i would only drive a manual porsche and if the fun factor is there, i will be happy. hell, a manual makes a civic more fun.

Turbo Al 02-14-2012 08:06 PM

Let's see, 991 GT3-no GT1 block, no 6-speed manual, no true dry sump. It's basically a Carrera2 with the rear seats removed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ritesh 02-14-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Al (Post 1239051)
Let's see, 991 GT3-no GT1 block, no 6-speed manual, no true dry sump. It's basically a Carrera2 with the rear seats removed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BINGO!! I think the prices of 997 GT3 variants just went up!

Steven997GT2 02-14-2012 08:32 PM

I feel that Porsche is going after what Ferrari has been doing. Change is good.

samuel.g 02-14-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Al (Post 1239051)

Yes, yes... because that sounds like something Porsche would do. It amazes me sometimes the lack of faith even a Porsche owner can have in the engineering talent at Stuttgart, like they're going to half-ass the new GT3...

Originally Posted by Steven997GT2 (Post 1239071)
I feel that Porsche is going after what Ferrari has been doing. Change is good.

More like Porsche is conforming with what the majority of buyers want today: I want to go fast and I want it to be easy. Whether the change would be seen as good is relative, but anyway I don't see a point in fighting over this since nothing is official yet.

modenaboy 02-15-2012 03:30 PM

I want to go fast, but I want it to be safe, not easy

I want to go fast, but even on the track I don't want it to be too easy - I want a challenge, and the feeling of accomplishment. And on the street, I definitely don't want it to be too easy, many modern cars lull you into a false sense of security when you don't realize just how fast you are going. In many cases, to have fun and get the car to an interesting place near its limits, you are just going way too fast.

I'm not saying I want the car to be impossible to drive, or unsafe - I want the car to be fast, and safe, but above all, engaging and fun to drive.

As you say, it is probably not really worth arguing too much about this, since we don't really know Porsche's plans. However, it is worth discussing, and hopefully people at Porsche are paying attention to comments and the discussion here.

-- Gordie

Originally Posted by samuel.g (Post 1239096)
More like Porsche is conforming with what the majority of buyers want today: I want to go fast and I want it to be easy. Whether the change would be seen as good is relative, but anyway I don't see a point in fighting over this since nothing is official yet.

GTCole 02-15-2012 03:44 PM

Engineers at Porsche and others working there read the Forums. Quite a bit.

samuel.g 02-15-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by modenaboy (Post 1239622)
I want to go fast, but even on the track I don't want it to be too easy - I want a challenge, and the feeling of accomplishment. And on the street, I definitely don't want it to be too easy, many modern cars lull you into a false sense of security when you don't realize just how fast you are going. In many cases, to have fun and get the car to an interesting place near its limits, you are just going way too fast.

I'm not saying I want the car to be impossible to drive, or unsafe - I want the car to be fast, and safe, but above all, engaging and fun to drive.

As you say, it is probably not really worth arguing too much about this, since we don't really know Porsche's plans. However, it is worth discussing, and hopefully people at Porsche are paying attention to comments and the discussion here.

-- Gordie

Completely feel the same way, sure it's fun having fast lap times but more than anything you want to have fun doing those laps. It's a fine line between keeping the car as raw feeling as possible and implementing technical driver aids and what not to make the car more "advanced" and thus faster than its predecessor, and it's unfortunate when the latter is overly done, at least for people who buy the cars for the driving experience as opposed to those who just want to show off.

DBV 02-15-2012 07:42 PM

"PDK only" will most certainly take away from the non-monetary exclusivity a Porsche GT car offers.

The first time I set eyes on a GT3 I was in love with the car. Then, my first time driving a 997.2 GT3RS and getting a chance to feel the mechanical connection the car offers, it quickly became an obsession.

Like so many other others have stated, the involvement a PDK transmission affords just doesn't compare to the visceral feeling of a manual transmission.

If you look at the progression that Porsche has made with the 911 Turbo line, and see the evolution of technology and the resulting performance gains, it makes sense to make the care faster. However none of the changes made ever significantly took away from the driver involvement. The only situation I could equate the PDK change to, would be the 993's introduction of an AWD system. Maybe some people with more experience with this change can chime in, but I don't see the AWD in the 993 ever taking away from the experience the way switching to a PDK would in the GT cars. Perhaps they will try and please both sides of the debate and offer the GT3 in PDK, while keeping an RS version with manual transmission up their sleeve? Who knows, but it IS a scary thought, seeing the last great sports car manufacturer abandon the manual transmission in their "race car for the street" lineup.

In short:

If Porsche goes PDK in the 991 GT3, it will only mean that my sights are firmly set on a 997.2 GT3 RS...

Things could be worse.