Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   This might not sit well with some - 2013 GT3 May be PDK Only (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69820-might-not-sit-well-some-2013-gt3-may-pdk-only.html)

jumping_horse 02-14-2012 06:59 AM

if they offer PDK only it will be the end of my love with this company..game over - wouldnt buy any Porsche aymore (I mean new ones).

I will keep my 997 GT2 and 997 GT3.

And be assured, I will make my voice heard there..they should know what they are up to...GT3 owners are the best and most loyal owners they have..if they want to srew up with these..take the consequences.

GTCole 02-14-2012 07:09 AM

I knew a few people would get emotional about this subject. Understood.

What he says is right. The market is at PDK. Ferrari and Lambo made the move. Was it all that bad for them? Technically, since late 2006, Porsche has been racing with the Sequential Tranny. And all their driver's like it. We only use the clutch on down shifts, and we have a throttle blipper. It's racing to be fast, not to be a purist. They don't give trophies for that. The market has been heading to PDK and we've all known it for years. Change always pisses people off for a time, but change still comes. I would be shocked if it's not the PDK. It's time to swallow some crow because it's coming. Sooner or later. We can cry like babies on the floor throwing tantrums, but PDK is still coming.

marakji 02-14-2012 07:25 AM

A PDK GT3 and GT2 will eat up so much away from the Carrera and the Turbo... Why would anyone buy a Carrera or Turbo anymore, unless they want a Cab!?!?

jumping_horse 02-14-2012 08:24 AM

Hi GT Cole,

Yes - you are right - in the racing series Porsche has been using sequential gearbox since 2005. However, 911 turbo customers are not GT3 customers..neither has the GT3/GT2 been with its performances behind Ferrari or Lamborghini etc. The opposite is true..despite manual gearbox, GT2RS and and GT3RS 4.0 for examample can trash quite a few Italians on the race track.

The good thing about Porsche with manual gearbox was that is was: DIFFERENT than others. From a Marketing point of view its also very bad to become part of the mainstream...I hope his words are just a "test" of the market.

PS: how come you are so sure that PDK will be the only option? Mr Müller CEO of Porsche and "boss" of Mr Achleitner said a few weeks ago: " no pdk in GT3 as long as customer wish to have a manual"..

Milanno 02-14-2012 08:44 AM

Its actually pretty awkward that we discuss about PDK in GT3.
What will be next? For 5 years we will discuss about Turbo charger in GT3 because its efficient & because modern drivers
dont like raw power that naturally aspirated engine is famous for :hilarious:

Ferrari & Lambo took hands from manual because buyers just dont know how to shift & yeah its pretty embarrassing
to stuck on street when all crowd look at your magnificent & powerful car.

I am always for compromise & Porsche made them in very wide range. There is so much 911 editions that you can pick one by your taste & skill,
there is also SUV if you want. There is model that have Porsche badge & its not expensive.

If they need to destroy legend as GT3 to gain few bucks more, than go for it Porsche.
I will wait announcement for Porsche delivery trucks too :friendlykick:

Bill in Atlanta 02-14-2012 08:45 AM

I would be shocked if the next GT3 is not available with both manual and PDK.

Will PDK def be an option ? YES
Will manual go away ? NO WAY

Bill

andy102 02-14-2012 08:52 AM

It should be kept manual, or you kill the GT3 brand. Hardcore, mechanical, driver focused road going race car.

jumping_horse 02-14-2012 08:54 AM

HI Milanno,

Yes - I agree with the compromise..as long as there is something for everybody..its fine.

By the way, turbo engines offer more "raw power" than normally aspirated..:)

RDuke 02-14-2012 09:01 AM

The GT3 is a street car, not a purpose built race car. When I race it's all about getting the best out of the car/kart, if that means PDK then fine, as long as it's faster.

When it comes to street cars I want that raw connection to the car and road. This means manual, not PDK. It's not about being 9/10 or 10/10 faster on the street. Leave that for the track.

GTCole 02-14-2012 09:28 AM

I have no facts on the PDK. It's just a gut feeling. I hope they keep the manual. Hell, they don't need to change the tranny they got. They are still selling the same motor anyway in the 991. But, the 2013 Cup is coming with paddles, and the writing is on the wall.