Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   This might not sit well with some - 2013 GT3 May be PDK Only (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69820-might-not-sit-well-some-2013-gt3-may-pdk-only.html)

rubber_ducky 02-14-2012 09:36 AM

At least this way I won't have to do that pesky shifting while I'm texting & driving.

jumping_horse 02-14-2012 10:49 AM

hi GT Cole,

thanks for the info. Yes, the 2013 RSR will need to be with paddle shift..they now have with the 2012 RSR already a similar system. Thats fine and makes sense.

But what doenst make sense is to force customers into something they dont want. Let the 991 GT3 have both options and life is OK. By the way, the PDK one will be always a bit heavier..so youre gaining in shifting time but your loosing on the weight balance.

The 991 GT3 will not have the 997 GT3 Mezger engine-thats clear. The question is also whether the new one will be able to rev as high. I dount it - the 991 9A1 engine has now 1000rpm more then the 997 9A1 engine..to get to 997 GT3 levels the would need to put another 1000rpm on top of that...thats a hell of a lot.

Congratulations to your 4.0L...very good choice and a future classic. :)

STOPPIE 02-14-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by marakji (Post 1238481)
A PDK GT3 and GT2 will eat up so much away from the Carrera and the Turbo... Why would anyone buy a Carrera or Turbo anymore, unless they want a Cab!?!?

Are you from Earth? lol

STOPPIE 02-14-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky (Post 1238506)
At least this way I won't have to do that pesky shifting while I'm texting & driving.

dont forget drinking your starbucks, or for the women- applying their make up. lol

A430v 02-14-2012 01:26 PM

I've owned and driven several flappy-paddle cars. You really can't beat the technology - from a racing standpoint to get optimum laptimes, I totally understand. If it's your daily commute car - yup, flappy-paddle wins here too for comfort/convenience. However, from the purist's viewpoint, when it comes to emotion and passion, nothing beats rowing your own gears and executing a perfect up/downshift. I still get the most joy from my GT3 with all the cars I've owned.

BUT - Porsche can do it right! Offer both PDK and manual. Nothing wrong with that. BMW did it with their e60 M5 (SMG/manual) and will do it again with their new F10 M5 (DCT/manual) for the US market. Rumor has it, it will be the same for the new M6 too. Whatever Porsche does, I'm sure they will listen to their loyal/GT customers... Let's to hoping....

Mezger 02-14-2012 01:44 PM

Maybe we should start a petition and send it to Porsche... demanding both PDK and 7g manual shifter. ^.^ The supporter list should end up quite long.

If I had some money to spare.. I would simply order 1 GT3 with manual and 1 with PDK transmission... seriously what would be more convincing to them as already having hundreds of orders for the GT3 with manual + PDK transmission.

Marc 02-14-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by GTCole (Post 1238238)
I would agree to an extent. Part of me enjoys the manual and it's more fun to drive on the street and track. It's just pure. The other part of me knows that the PDK is gonna be faster on track, easier on track, and less costly for Porsche when they pay for warranty claims on clutches and motors. Ferrari did it, and we know that Porsche will be there. It's just a matter of time. But I will miss the new cars without the manual. It's what a sports car was meant to be, but times are a changing.

Well stated.

marakji 02-14-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by STOPPIE (Post 1238575)
Are you from Earth? lol

A PDK GT gives the power, rear drive, and daily driveability, what Porsche buyers look for... All current cars give you 2 out of those 3... And yes, I'm from Earth ;)

atomic80 02-14-2012 02:35 PM

Chris, I just now noticed in your signature that you have a 848 EVO. I'm doing a shoot on one this afternoon. Beautiful bike.

Back on topic, I personally think that it will be a mistake for Porsche not to offer manual GT3s but the purist in me thinks that they should revert back to 6 speed versions instead of going with the 7 speed now offered. The GT3 is a "racing" platform and wasn't the 7 speed created with economy in mind and maybe perhaps to simplify matters between the 7 speed PDK vs manual. Anyhow, I think that Porsche will continue to offer manual in addition to PDK. That's the right thing for them to do.

sinan 02-14-2012 02:56 PM

I'm pretty sure Porsche reads forums like TS and pays attention to what the people think/demand.

I mean the Carrera has both options - what makes you think the GT3 won't ?