Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/)
-   -   This might not sit well with some - 2013 GT3 May be PDK Only (https://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/69820-might-not-sit-well-some-2013-gt3-may-pdk-only.html)

McJerkins 02-13-2012 11:45 PM

Woah, they must change their minds. I'd bet on it.

Milanno 02-13-2012 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by parealtor (Post 1238344)
Just a sign of the times. If you read the other story on inside line about the pdk being so much faster than a stick you can see where they are going. a car that accelerates to 60 in under 3 seconds almost requires an automatic to keep up with the gear shifts.

After all I think Porsche will keep GT3 with aim to give great driving experience. There are other 911 Editions who are made to catch straight-line records :spar:

Lumma 02-13-2012 11:49 PM

they should offer both

their customer demand will increase

i think the pdk cars will sell less than the manual, because it wont be what the GT3 truly is ! a Hardcore bad ass porsche

Mini George 02-13-2012 11:51 PM

It's not about the numbers, it's about the experience. If GT3 owners wanted the numbers, they would have bought a GTR. The manual transmission is among many things that would keep current GT3 drivers in the GT3.

People who really enjoy driving don't care about useless statistics. It's all about the driving experience. Too many manufacturers are strictly focused on beating car x, when most of the people who buy them don't care. Sure the PDK is quick, but lap times are more dependent on the driver than the transmission.

SoCal 02-13-2012 11:55 PM

They will all sell out, no matter what.

Lumma 02-14-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal (Post 1238358)
They will all sell out, no matter what.

it probably will, but for true enthusiasts, the car will lose its appeal and character, being hardcore is what the GT3 is all about

Venom08 02-14-2012 01:06 AM

I think Porsche would sell more GT3's if they offered it with an auto transmission. Those that are brand whores and only buy cars for their price and exclusivity will buy the GT3 for their wife or something since it's a super exclusive 911 that is, for the first time, offered without a clutch pedal. The rate at which used 991 GT3's that flood the used markets will also substantially increase since most of the PDK buyers will tire of the car as it won't be as comfortable as lower range 911's and they'll realize that the most expensive isn't always the best. I know for the BMW M3 this is the case because some people just buy it because it's the most expensive and thereby most exclusive 3 series. Then they don't like it because it is too sporty or harsh and trade it in for something else, probably a 335i or X5, lol.
I honestly don't care if they offer PDK as long as they still have the 6 speed, maybe 7 sp now, available.

HarveyMushman 02-14-2012 01:23 AM

It will happen bc it will sell. They're after sales. Unfortunately the enthusiast is not the dominant buyer population.

Lumma 02-14-2012 02:35 AM

they have the other cars for them to sell

plus the Gt3 was always a driver's car,thats the beauty of it

i for one dont mind having a pdk gt3, just make sure they ahve proper paddles for it , cause driving a manual in a congested country is a pain, always loved the GT3 for bein what it is, i do hope it keeps that appeal and not lose its soul

lgl 02-14-2012 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 1238239)
I kind of hope PDK is the only variant offered on GT and Turbo cars. This will effectively KILL any remaining desire I have to get a 991 and thus save me lots of scratch.

Tha'ts a good way to think about it! However, I'm going to try to test a new GT3 R race car with the paddle shift on a racetrack I know, to compare the feeling with my RS 4.0. I'm afraid that GTCole may be right in terms of efficiency on track.
Given my age I'm definitely a 3 pedals guy...for street going GT!