Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The Drivers Super Car Dead ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
As disappointed as I am with the direction cars are going in, I firmly believe there is someone out there who will answer our calls.

We are long over-due for another F1, CGT, F40 and I think we will see a car of this calibre in the next 10 years. The person who has the guts to go against the grain and exploit the forgotten will turn this "sports car" game on its ear. The industry goes in cycles and it takes something really specially to change direction. No other industry is as hyped up as auto industry. But, how many times do you look back at a car and laugh or realize that special something about it has fleeted away?

I don't know about you guys, but I still have the feeling Gordan Murray has one more left in him.

Old 03-30-2011 | 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
teutoniccarfan: The chances are very slim Porsche would listen. But as I said, the majority of biyers would be enthusiasts, and the majority of enthusiasts want this car to be more GT3 and CGT, less 918 and 458. You'll never get what you want in life unless you ask. I fear coming out directly and telling Porsche what we want could be our only hope. When I'm older and can actual drive, or if I'm fortunate enough, buy such a fine sportscar, I hope and pray that there will be a light and efficient car with a boxer engine, manual transmission, and most importantly, a Porsche crest on the hood.

To Porsche if you guys are reading: Notice there hasn't been one disagreement in this thread yet (hint hint). If your future cars come out as technoboxes, they will be bashed for losing their roots. If they come out as drivers cars, they will be praised and coveted for being some of the last few cars to actual move someone's heart in a drive.

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally people bought the driver's super car to be the fastest on the road. They didn't just buy it for fun - because an original mini cooper could deliver fun.

The trouble is that performance of cars has moved to a point where human beings aren't fast enough to keep up. So you have a choice - do you want to be fast or do you want to have more control? I'd rather be fast.

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:43 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
^ if your skill level is high enough you can have both

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Originally people bought the driver's super car to be the fastest on the road. They didn't just buy it for fun - because an original mini cooper could deliver fun.

The trouble is that performance of cars has moved to a point where human beings aren't fast enough to keep up. So you have a choice - do you want to be fast or do you want to have more control? I'd rather be fast.
I'd rather be in control. If you're taking a sportscar on a drive through the mountains do you want to do it as fast as you can, or have as much fun as you can?

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
To Porsche if you guys are reading: Notice there hasn't been one disagreement in this thread yet (hint hint). If your future cars come out as technoboxes, they will be bashed for losing their roots. If they come out as drivers cars, they will be praised and coveted for being some of the last few cars to actual move someone's heart in a drive.
Wow, luckily you told them this otherwise they would never have known. 12 year old to the rescue.

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:31 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
A driver will and can be faster with electronic aids on. This has been proven on the ring, the datsun GTR for example.

Flame suit on, the ZR1 for another example, one auto mag did a comparison of lap times with and without the drivers aids on and the lap with the aids on was faster by a few seconds.

Another problem is that people may think there are a ton of "purists" out there who want this and that, yes there are a lot, but there are far far more people who are not and simply want the fastest/flashiest/technologically/ most advanced car out there. Every car maker is in the game to make money so they will go for the larger market.

If you want a pure drivers car go old school. After driving quite a few versions of newer 911's I can say that there is just no comparison between new and old. I have never had as much fun in any other car as I have had in my little ol 911. And from talking to others, the same goes with other brands.

Times are changing and it doesn't matter whether you are an electronics company or an auto manufacturer, they need to keep up with technology and market trends in order to stay competitive and profitable.

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
Auctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to allAuctung is a name known to all
bravo bravo bravo!!!
Ive been sayin this for years!!! And practically ever other one of my posts here pertain to this!!!

people have too much money and too little skill
they want a video game car, a point and shoot car, a car that drives you and you are just along for the ride

NO SOUL, NO PASSION, NO FUN!!!

Ill be the slower involving car any day of the week over some computer driven paddle shifter thats a few tenths faster, who cares

My favorite car really has been an old 91 Buick Skylark I bought AFTER I got my Lambo for $262.01 because I could beat the shit out of it and do all kinds of things with it and not care and have a blast...and it had pretty good feedback...due mostly to a lack of any aids or safety :-P

I figure Im like the old muscle car guys that dont really care about anythign made after the 60s or 70s, only I like the raw pure exotic cars pretty much up to the early 2000s...eveything now really doesnt matter. Hell I dont even care enough to know basics about todays cars, while I knew every about exotics just a decade old now

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with everything you guys are saying, the modern super-car is losing the point of a super-car. It is becoming a computer that allows anyone to drive very fast. Where the whole point is that if you make a mistake, it will kill you. The modernization of technology is really impacting the way cars are made. I believe that if car makers want to reach out to people that suck at driving, that's fine, but they still need to make cars for the real drivers, who want to get the most out of them and enjoy them.

Old 03-31-2011 | 02:02 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Blah blah blah

No way they go back. Sad but true humans with 6 speeds can't keep up with the new paddles.

Customers want faster faster and until they change don't hold your breathe.

If they do make another 6 speed supercar

Please just make one in white.

Quick Reply: Is The Drivers Super Car Dead ?