Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st CGT impressions...How come nobody told me its a POS???!!!! (book long!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, this has been a lesson in humility. Clutch completely out before any gas. If your in city traffic either be the first or last in cue. Or leave town and drive the car. If you want a city car to be seen in buy an LP, Supersport, 458, CLK or Sl Black, Veyron, DBS, something with an autobox.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
...exactly!

Originally Posted by pmac
.....there is a philosophical aspect to this as well. Is a great car one that makes you work for the speed? Some people clearly think so, but i suspect they're also the same people who believe themselves to be among the few possessing the necessary skill (whether that's true or not). How great is a car with a performance envelope that the typical-to-moderately-skilled driver simply can't access? How great is a car that gives up all its secrets the first time you drive it, though? (this is getting dangerously close to a treatise on the perfect woman as well)

i think the typical modern hypercar is so vastly superior to all but a tiny handful of drivers that every effort should be made to keep them 'well-behaved'. That doesn't necessarily mean paddle-shifters, and low-intervention stability control, but it does mean that the chassis should balance the need for a pointy front end against sudden massive oversteer. The engine should deliver power progressively. The drivetrain should be somewhat forgiving to minor mistakes (improper rev-matching on downshifts, for example). The warning that you're doing something wrong should come *before* you find yourself looking back down the road you were just traveling.

That last scintilla of speed that makes the car twitchy and unstable belongs on a race car. These are street cars, and are designed to live in a world of momentary distractions, and imperfect road conditions. By this standard, the cgt is indeed a bit of a failure. It's undoubtedly brilliant, but it belongs on the track, wearing slicks. I'd probably take a gt2rs over a cgt.

I know this is bordering on blasphemous, but i just don't see the cgt as a spiritual successor to the 959. The 918 shows more promise, but the price tag on these cars is just getting silly.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
im in the middle of downtown taipei, all my fcars do extremely well here, actually more than well, their awesome here, but CGT.....

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
I guess I don't know where you live in Taiwan, but I can't say I'm surprised that you wouldn't enjoy this car over there, especially if you live near urban/Taipei areas. But I'm surprised that you didn't expect this before your purchase.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, not sure what Porsche was thinking producing such an epic piece of trash. All the ~1250 owners must be ready to jump off a cliff after seeing their hard earned money go towards such a useless lawnmower. I think you should sue Porsche for your hardship.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
i think many did in the beginning.
they did that with the 930 too.
but i thank them for giving me a workout station.

Originally Posted by ljg
..... I think you should sue Porsche for your hardship.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Tristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura aboutTristan has a spectacular aura about
Guys I think you should ease up a bit. He is entitled to his opinion about a car that he worked for and purchased himself. As I said, it will most likely grow on him and he will get used to it. It's understandable that it's hard to drive in comparison to cars like a Scud with flappys.

John, perhaps dont be so harsh on the car in relation to calling it a 'POS' in the title of your thread. Keep in mind that you are very lucky to own such a car, as well as picking up a 458 only a couple of weeks ago after complaining that you didn't like your Scud anymore.

I love these forums for the people and the lifestyle that you all live and I aspire to be like this one day and I believe that I could possibly be on my way, I might add my opinion regarding supercars here and there and stick my head into threads about CGTs and other awesome cars but no one knows that I drive a 1990 Toyota Corolla with a leaky roof (It's been raining a lot here in Brisbane so my floor is all wet and smelly) and I have to disconnect the battery every time I park it as the parking lights are stuck on but you dont hear me complaining. My Fiance has to sit in the back seat when we are driving around because the passenger seat is always wet when it rains but sacrifices must be made financially so we can succeed down the track sometimes.

You're a lucky guy John (and you've probably worked your ass off) so just remember, owning a CGT isn't the worst thing in the world.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond repute
I also admire the fact that you tell us your real impressions, when you know that the cgt is considered as a samll version of god here
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he told us it was a PITA to drive in town but not in mountais? Isn't that true with all supercars ? (just asking my car is far from being a supercar)

You're a lucky guy John (and you've probably worked your ass off) so just remember, owning a CGT isn't the worst thing in the world.
You couldn't say better, alongs with the other thing you say, I come on this forum to dream,so please don't be a douche and share your passion but be respectfull and reasonnable with your situation and ours.

Last edited by dante71; 12-29-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Nath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to allNath4N is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tristan
Guys I think you should ease up a bit. He is entitled to his opinion about a car that he worked for and purchased himself.
+1.

Thanks for the review John.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Having owned and attempted to use a CGT like a typical Porsche I agree 100% with the OP.
If I were rich enough I would have kept it for its beauty and the occasional run but unlike every other production Porsche it is not for daily use far too many compromises as accurately assessed by the OP.
This pic was taken the last time I drove it and I remember how it was totally useless in the wet, but what a stunner

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
yep! and my ex-owner said he would never have sold it to me if i only have one sporty ride, he wish i drive slowly and carefully and tug it away for my grandkids later!!

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Having owned and attempted to use a CGT like a typical Porsche I agree 100% with the OP.
If I were rich enough I would have kept it for its beauty and the occasional run but unlike every other production Porsche it is not for daily use far too many compromises as accurately assessed by the OP.
This pic was taken the last time I drove it and I remember how it was totally useless in the wet, but what a stunner