Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ultrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pmpsch
am with you and this is why I am getting one, but:
-am surprised at the spread between announced and realised...Porsche tends to provide good estimates
-even if the car will do better around a track (its purpose after all), straight line acceleration is something you also look for. Figures as tested put it at par with some sporty luxury saloons which for such an exclusive supercar is a tad disappointing.

Now, I know measuring the 0-100 is volatile (didn't crank&piston mention 3.6 for the 0-66!!) but these 2 reviews reinforce each others
Guys, I've asked my motoring journo mate, here’s what he said about performance testing;

Mate,
Don’t read too much into slow times. Acceleration testing depends on so many factors – track surface, track temp, ambient temp, dew point, humidity, fuel load, car, tyres, driver etc. Also, some magazines test with two in the car and some with just the driver.
I’ve tested cars in certain conditions and they’ve recorded brilliant times and then tested the exact same car a month later on a different surface and in different conditions and recorded a time one second slower.

BTW When I tested the RS 4.0 in Germany here’s what I got.
0-100km/h in 3.76 seconds
0-160km/h in 7.81
0-200km/h in 11.81
Top speed 313km/h recorded on Vbox, 324km/h indicated

In my testing, those acceleration times are about 0.25 quicker than the RS 3.8. I’ve always found that if the conditions are ok you can beat Porsche’s claims. In the 911 Turbo (not Turbo S), I got a 0-100km/h time of 3.03 and I know an American magazine got 2.99 to 60mph. And I’ve had a Turbo S do a 2.99 to 100km/h which I think was about a 2.94 to 60mph (I’d have to dig out the file) and a 10.86 quarter mile.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
pmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura aboutpmpsch has a spectacular aura about
^ very useful. Thanks and welcome to the team

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Glock Guru You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
A 0-60 time is only usefull for people that never exceed 60 and want to get there quickly.

Life in a 4.0RS does not start till someplace far past that. The enjoyment of the RS is the overall driving experience and the sensation and or feedback it gives the driver. I don't drag race or race my car stop light to stop light. The RS is a track car and should be enjoyed to the fullest in that way.

JMO.

-Troy

-Troy

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ultrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished roadUltrarun is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
A 0-60 time is only usefull for people that never exceed 60 and want to get there quickly.

Life in a 4.0RS does not start till someplace far past that. The enjoyment of the RS is the overall driving experience and the sensation and or feedback it gives the driver. I don't drag race or race my car stop light to stop light. The RS is a track car and should be enjoyed to the fullest in that way.

JMO.

-Troy

-Troy
Yep, my mate agrees that it's pointless. He hates doing accerelation testing on any car and tries to get a junior in his office to do it. He believes it's equally pointless on a fast car or a slow car. In-gear rolling acceleration is much more relevant. And yes, something like an RS 4.0 is about much more than 0-60.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute

JMO.

-Troy

-Troy
Respect! +1 for being a genuine Mate! Rep for you, Sir.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute

JMO.

-Troy

-Troy
Well said. You don't buy an RS 4.0 because you want to go to 60 fast. There's another 911 for that. You buy the RS 4.0 if you enjoy driving, and want to do it very, very quickly.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold12:03 is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure this has been discussed already but a brief search does not yield any quick results: Is this car (4.0) really $100k better than the 997.2 GT3? I don't own either but consider myself a potential customer. You can get a pretty good spec 997.2 GT3 for $110k and I realize there is almost 85hp difference, and I am not siding on either side of that argument, it is just an honest question. Strictly performance and driving experience wise...

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by 12:03
I'm sure this has been discussed already but a brief search does not yield any quick results: Is this car (4.0) really $100k better than the 997.2 GT3? I don't own either but consider myself a potential customer. You can get a pretty good spec 997.2 GT3 for $110k and I realize there is almost 85hp difference, and I am not siding on either side of that argument, it is just an honest question. Strictly performance and driving experience wise...
Again, I asked my journo mate this question.

Yep, RS 4.0 is worth every cent. Taking nothing away from the GT3 or GT3 RS (both of which I would love to own), the RS 4.0 is a huge step above. It is the best car I’ve driven ahead of things like Veyron, 599 GTO, 458 etc. It’s an awesome track-day car and liveable enough to use on the street. It’s actually not much more compromised than the GT3 yet offers so much more driver appeal and involvement.
The engine is much stronger down low than even the RS 3.8. The front end is sharper, it’s more stable at high speed.
Anyone who owns an RS 4.0 is very lucky. I believe it will be an all-time great car. If I had the money I would buy one ahead of every other car on sale.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
What's better than 1 GT3 RS 4.0?

2!

Mine arrived today.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
lgl
Teamspeed Member
lgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura aboutlgl has a spectacular aura about
Ahah! Waiting for the pics on her wheels!!

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!