Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scud vs rs.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Scud vs rs.2

This question is related to those on here who have either had both or has both. I understand the obvious benefits to each. I am interested in real world experience, which is the most fun to drive? Which is best on track? Which is fastest, easiest to live with, puts the biggest smile on your face etc.

Or do you have to have both?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
PM RufMD

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
If you view the differences between .1 and .2 as negligible, then H20skier can also comment.

They are very different, as you already know.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Jas you need to get in here asap. I'd love to see a write up.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
I was just talking about that comparison to a close friend today ! We had the opportunity to run some back roads with the 16M and RS.2 about 3 weeks ago and it was a telling experience

I had a scud coupe last year and the driving experience between it and the 16M is very similar on the street. The chassis feels just as rigid, the suspension just as firm with negligible body roll in hard corners. Since the drivetrain is identical with the coupe and 16M, the only real difference in this comparo with the RS.2 would be weight and body dynamics.

Visual Comparison 16M and RS.2

Well, the Italians certainly know how to package emotion into their cars...the low lithe appearance of the 16M and the tricolor livery quickens the pulse and sets the stage for tremendous road presence. The interior is typically mostly alcantara in the 16M, with bare floors and cf doors...very austere and consistent with the goal of weight reduction. The reduction is sound deadening materials transmits some of the engine buzz into the cockpit (no one complains....)

The RS.2 may have a classic lineage in its appearance, but is beautiful in its own way. The pronounced rear "hips", brave graphics and contrasted rims signal an intent well before the car is fired up. When running on the street, it really gives a squat, purposeful aura that screams "I'm made for thrashing hard " When you put the foot in, it translates forward in slingshot fashion which is quite nice to witness second hand !

The visuals for these cars are totally subjective of course, and will find equal appeal amongst the teutonic efficiency camp and that of the italian beauty crowd.

Engine

The RS.2 has a wonderful 3.8L motor that is mated to a lightweight flywheel and revs to 8400 rpm. This combination is brilliant...the car just begs to be revved and does so effortlessly. The tach absolutely flys over to the right once you stick the boot in and the engine note at WOT is delightful. The increase in torque over the RS.1 engine is welcome and noticeable...this car pulls effortlessly and the newer shortened ratios equate to spirited thrusts up through the gears.

The scud motor is hair raising good. It revs to 8400 rpm and is mated to a 60ms shift paddle shift box=lightning quick shifts. I used to hate the F1 boxes until I tried this one, and it really does add to the driving experience when going up and down hard through the gears. Interestingly, when shifting the gears at wot with the top down, if you shift by ear you might find yourself shortchanging your shiftpoint by 2k rpm...it is THAT loud ! I can tell you from personal experience that WOT in the 16M or Scud raises the hairs on your neck...brilliant !

Driving Comparison

The setting was twisty back roads in the Leipers Fork area in TN. These cars were neck and neck the whole time, and drivers switched cars halfway. The RS turns into corners so effortlessly and aggressively that you find yourself throwing it into corners harder than any car previously. It sticks like a go cart and pulls so hard and easily out of the corners. This car begs for the track...I cannot wait to get it out there. It is no exaggeration to echo many reviews out there and claim this car as the finest 911 iteration that Porsche has produced. Amazing engine, finely balanced chassis and suspension, short shift/shortened ratio gearbox...a true drivers car that is a must for anyone that enjoys driving.

The 16M kept up every step of the way...the 60ms box just gives it a solid advantage and induces grins everytime when shifting aggressively. The car did not lose anything in the corners to the RS...nothing at all. No body roll, no less assurred...solid brakes that are fade resistant and can be hammered all day long. The cars dove into corners and came out barely two car lengths apart, no matter which angle of turn or sweep....simply fantastic.

In my mind, there is no clear winner here and I'm not just being diplomatic. The 16M surprises by being more than just a pretty car and loud engine...it truly is a finely setup chassis/susp that can be flogged and flogged and it rewards with incredible performance numbers. It is not compromised in the corners and stuns with its straight line performance. The gearbox is there with you every step of the way and is as aggressive as you want it to be. In short, the 16M is a staggering combination of looks and go (and by extension, the scud coupe).

The RS makes you wonder how Porsche can improve the 911 design. Turn in with the widened front wheelbase is even more assured than the RS.1...the engine bore out to 3.8 gives that extra bit of grunt that is definitely noticeable. Above all, this car is supremely engineered for road and track handling...it boggles my mind literally. I will restate once again, if you are a driver and truly enjoy the dynamics of driving fast in any road configuration, this is a car that delivers the purest of experiences.

So, the final question...which one ? These cars are close...really close in performance and handling. Each one is the type of car that makes you run for the keys for the most menial errands...loaf of bread ? coming up dear...out of diapers ? no sweat, I'll be back in 10....simply grin inducing and four wheel therapy every trip you make.

For me, it comes down to emotional intangibles when deciding the ultimate "winner"...the italians do a tremendous job packaging emotion into a car, be it the visual appeal, the sound, even the smell The 16M has tremendous road appeal and is sure to collect a crowd wherever it goes. The extra dimension of top down driving also amplifies every sensation. For me, the 16M just shades the RS.2...but not to worry, the RS.2 is going nowhere, it is THAT good.

Last edited by RufMD; 08-20-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
frshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that was an incredible write up!! You should get a job with Autocar lol. Ive never driven either car, but the RS (the way you describe it) sounds incredible. Not to take away from the 16M, but the visuals i got from reading Jas's write up makes me want to go buy an RS like... right now!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Jas I love your write ups, your pictures are just as good. Thanks for taking the time to give your review.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Hadn't seen you post in awhile, hope all is well! First-rate write up for sure. MmMmmm love the 16 m!!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
thank you

Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
awesome write up Jas!

Quick Reply: Scud vs rs.2