Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT - clutch manipulation - how do YOU do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
dealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to alldealmaker is a name known to all
Carrera GT - clutch manipulation - how do YOU do it?

Guys,

For those of us with CGT's I am sure everyone has a slightly different method of playing with the clutch.

I seem to have two guaranteed methods for a getaway -

1) The "foot off" method - use the car's "anti-stall" feature and just let out the clutch gently until the car is rolling - then apply gas.

2) The "full on" method - give it some revs and smoothly engage the clutch - get's it moving quickly!

I have not perfected a "feathering" technique yet - for pulling out at moderate pace at junctions etc. - I can either seem to crawl out or slingshot out! Need more seat time I guess.

One aquaintance with a CGT says he "sets" the throttle at around 2000-2500 rpm and then feeds in clutch.

How does everyone else do it??

Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Foot off. About 3/4 to full engagement, on the throttle.

Don't try to feather it - the clutch isn't designed for that and you'll soon need a new one.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
this thing sounds like the clutch i have in my 996tt... when the time comes (for the CGT), i'll be ready

- chuck

Old 04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
eshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond repute
Treat the clutch like an on/off switch and modulate the gas. Sounds like fun

Old 04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
Like Jamie said, don't feather it...the only thing that has me baffled is starting moving on an uphill slope...some feathering is inevitable otherwise the car will stall again and again

Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Like Jamie said, don't feather it...the only thing that has me baffled is starting moving on an uphill slope...some feathering is inevitable otherwise the car will stall again and again
Actually no, If you can let it out and then go really slowly just before engagement, the computer senses the hill and feeds in throttle to prevent the stall.

Takes a little practise, try it somewhere with no traffic and you'll see what i mean.

Btw, brought it home from storage this week and today was the first day out - no tops. Burned almost a quarter tank. What a freaking car!

Last edited by jamie; 04-05-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond repute
JAMIE
How Intrusive Is The Traction Control On The Car ?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed's Official Shaikh
CondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamie
Actually no, If you can let it out and then go really slowly just before engagement, the computer senses the hill and feeds in throttle to prevent the stall.

Takes a little practise, try it somewhere with no traffic and you'll see what i mean.

Btw, brought it home from storage this week and today was the first day out - no tops. Burned almost a quarter tank. What a freaking car!
I agree with jamie and 1 thing keep in mind a hard acceleration when the clutch is cold can cause it to slip make sure if it does that you back of and allow it to cool for few minutes I had that and it scared the crap out me

Old 04-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Steve Kojasevic
JAMIE
How Intrusive Is The Traction Control On The Car ?
Not much. I've never had it off. I can lay down shrieking twin black strips through an intersection without barely touching the throttle with it on. I can move the rear as much as I want with the throttle with it on.

I'd be scared to ever turn it off.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond repute
Jamie
Have You Ever Had The Car Weighed ?

Quick Reply: Carrera GT - clutch manipulation - how do YOU do it?