Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT - clutch manipulation - how do YOU do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kuzi
It does take a bit of getting used to.....so un-intuitive to let the clutch out almost completely before feeding in the throttle.......but once underway, it becomes second nature. I find though that if I don't drive it for a while and drive a different manual transmission, I have to start all over as far as the clutch/throttle engagement.

Like Jamie said, its like getting fired out of a canon. What makes the CGT so fabulous is the fact that you need to have all your senses functioning 100% to drive it......and drive it fast. You better bring your "A" game.
Ah man, it intoxicates me with what you just mentioned, because I whole heartedly agree!!!! Porsche GT car's, nothing like em'

Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
StoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond repute
I find it interesting that everyone I speak with is intimidated by the CGT. A lot of it exotics have become too "soft"......its the only way I know to describe them. No matter the cost, compromises were made in one way or another......especially in "driving" dynamics. All this in order to satisfy and make the car more drivable for the common man. Well with the CGT.......there are NO compromises. What you get is basically a race car fitted to make it drivable for the streets. Common man be damned!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
ricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of lightricky is a glorious beacon of light
I disengage clutch completely and provide gas once fully disengaged. Now is mastering the amount of gas given right at the disengagement spot for speedy take offs. Thrills!!. What a car!!

Last edited by ricky; 04-06-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
W8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jamie
Not much. I've never had it off. I can lay down shrieking twin black strips through an intersection without barely touching the throttle with it on. I can move the rear as much as I want with the throttle with it on.

I'd be scared to ever turn it off.
Amen!

One really appreciates the TC while powering out of corners at the track. It's never intrusive enough to take away the fun, but it is a great comfort to not get sideways if there is a small bump or hump at the exit of a throttle-on sweeper. I see the traction light blink a little and feel the rear end move out only a little when I've otherwise added too much throttle on an off-camber exit. It's just magic in its calibration, if you ask me.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamie
There's nothing like it!
were you blasting up Trafalgar north of dundas yesterday?

if so, I think I caught your pretty face. I was the one in the silver (stock) Golf. Im sure you did a prompt 180 to catch a glimpse of my fine ride again.

cheers

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Craigger
were you blasting up Trafalgar north of dundas yesterday?

if so, I think I caught your pretty face. I was the one in the silver (stock) Golf. Im sure you did a prompt 180 to catch a glimpse of my fine ride again.

cheers
Not me. Had it out for about 20 mins for the first time on Saturday.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
StoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond reputeStoryBook has a reputation beyond repute
Traction Control???.........What traction control???
If there is one its perhaps the most non-intrusive TC I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I can get the damn thing sideways at 25mph with it "ON". Scarey stuff indeed!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
DM1
Teamspeed Senior Member
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think my car has TC or it doesn't work because I almost lost it in second gear just by flooring the pedal with the TC on (cold tires). Scard me to death.

Porsche should have made the TC more intrusive, that way if you have it on you know you cannot spin out and if you want to play around you can push the button and take it off. It almost gives you a false sense of security. My only Gripe about the car, The rest is: THERE IS NO OTHER CAR LIKE IT.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
I use the clutch the same way as driving any of my other Porsches. The CGT just requires a bit more finesse because the engine is so responsive and the clutch is a grabbier multi-disc design, though no where near as difficult as a racing setup.

The traction control on the CGT is the way it should be on most cars. You only know it is there when a situation is serious enough to call for it. Traction control systems that brake heavily or noticeably cut power are meant for a regular car with an average driver in an average situation. On a car like the CGT, a system like that would likely cause an accident rather than prevent one.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Flashing TC light = loads of fun

Quick Reply: Carrera GT - clutch manipulation - how do YOU do it?