Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Porsche Factory Carbon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
Bad Porsche Factory Carbon!!!

Check out this awful O.E.M carbon wheel that we spotted at a local Porsche dealership. This carbon wheel was in a brand new 2010 Porsche 997. There was one other car on the lot with a factory carbon wheel and it looked just as bad. You can see that the texturing on this wheel is really b...ad and the color of the carbon was a little yellow, and this is in a brand new Porsche.

Enjoy the pics!

Last edited by LaneS@macarbon.com; 03-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
"bad" because the factory carbon in general looks bad? Or this particular wheel has something wrong with it? I can't tell, i don't have a really good eye for carbon I guess.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
"bad" because the factory carbon in general looks bad? Or this particular wheel has something wrong with it? I can't tell, i don't have a really good eye for carbon I guess.
The Porsche factory carbon usually looks pretty good when it's new, but over time it tends to get cloudy, yellow, or in this case textured.

This picture points out the texturing I am talking about compared to one of our Lamborghini Gallardo wheels.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
The lamination looks horrible.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
^Got it, thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I can attest to the crappy Porsche carbon fiber.

I had 2 strips of carbon fiber factory installed along the defroster vents up by the windshield. In 4 months they were warped and cracking.

I had them replaced by warranty.

Then 3 months later the same thing happened again.

I just tore them out and have bare leather there now.

Need Lane to hook me up with one of the great MA Carbon parts to replace them!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ferdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the rough
Lane, have you looked on the Carrera GT carbon problems?

Last edited by Ferdinand; 10-26-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
It looks like a shoddy respray job, night and day!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I can attest to the crappy Porsche carbon fiber.

I had 2 strips of carbon fiber factory installed along the defroster vents up by the windshield. In 4 months they were warped and cracking.

I had them replaced by warranty.

Then 3 months later the same thing happened again.

I just tore them out and have bare leather there now.

Need Lane to hook me up with one of the great MA Carbon parts to replace them!
That's different than the steering wheel. The carbon (or wood on some cars) pieces need to be super thin to sit flush with the dash. As soon as they bake in the sun a few times, the resin shrinks and begins pulling the skinny pieces right up off the dash.

I'm sure Lane could manufacture some bitchin pieces that were thicker, but IMHO it would look kind of cheap and very "JC Whitney" if you know what I'm saying.

That's one of those options that seems like a must-have on the order sheet if you're getting all the other carbon, and it looks awesome when you first get the car. But reality kicks in once it starts to peel itself off the dash .

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
That's different than the steering wheel. The carbon (or wood on some cars) pieces need to be super thin to sit flush with the dash. As soon as they bake in the sun a few times, the resin shrinks and begins pulling the skinny pieces right up off the dash.

I'm sure Lane could manufacture some bitchin pieces that were thicker, but IMHO it would look kind of cheap and very "JC Whitney" if you know what I'm saying.

That's one of those options that seems like a must-have on the order sheet if you're getting all the other carbon, and it looks awesome when you first get the car. But reality kicks in once it starts to peel itself off the dash .
This is true, but they should be able to find a better way to bond the carbon to the defroster vent pieces.

Quick Reply: Bad Porsche Factory Carbon!!!