Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010 | 12:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
way off!

The gt3 and gt2 cars don't even have the same engine. The shell is used because it's a winner. I only disagree with Josh a little. I feel the gt2 should not be sold to anyone without a ProRacing license. The cars are insane. I think that the standard Turbo 997 which is faster to 60 than the 458 with less HP does just fine in a comparison....plus it's $75-90k less
You're preaching to the choir a little here. A 997.2 GT3 is top of my list of 'reasonable' cars. We're not talking about inherent capability when we get to this level, it's all about the indefinable something, and part of that is the prestige, and, despite all protestations to the contrary, no 911 can match a Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren, etc.

The 997TT vs 458 Italia comparison isn't strong in this case. The 997TT has great traction, so 0-60 is very quick, but above those speeds, the 458 Italia will, in all likelihood, murder it. More power, less drivetrain loss, less weight. In a real-world setting, the 997TT is possibly quicker overall, but then you'll still have your rear-view mirror filled with the snout of a GT-R. Again, it's not about outright performance at this level.

How many people cross-shop an F458 Italia versus a 997TT? Some, for sure, but I suspect that most people will regard moving from the 997TT to the 458 is somewhat like moving from a M3 to a 997TT.

My point is that priced to compete against the 458-level cars, the 918 would do fantastically well. At $800k+, it's a joke, no matter how cool the technology. Unless it thrashes a Veyron.

Old 03-24-2010 | 01:22 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Alrighty then, time to jump in to this one. P-Mac - this is not a flame to you, I just think you are wrong. That being said, let's go.

"Thrashes a Veyron" is an almost impossible option. However at a thousand pounds less and 718+ HP it should be close. It is not a $1,800,000 USD car as is the Veyron. Commentary in the board of regents conference call was in the $800,000 range. Less than half the cost of a Veyron. Kind of like a M3 to a 997TT?

Quoting "My point is that priced to compete against the 458-level cars, the 918 would do fantastically well." Although the 458 does not have all wheel drive, hybrid technology, the ability to acheve 78 miles to the gallon, did someone mention the 718 horsepower? I think it has a few things going more than the 458...

As to the Ferrari/Lambo/Mclaren commentary please feel free to read the Scuderia/Carrera GT post currently active on the board. Seems that the GCT is picked by two of the owners that currently have both. In addition I have a client who has both and clearly picks his CGT as the dominant car. I have personally driven both to a Sunday cars and coffee, the CGT demands way more attention than the Ferrari. This is not a 911, it's a supercar.

Quote "At $800k+, it's a joke, no matter how cool the technology." Really? I currently have two clients with solid orders and deposits, with two additional seriously interested. Apparently a joke that clients are willing to pay for.

Last edited by Brobbins016; 03-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2010 | 01:50 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
Alrighty then, time to jump in to this one. P-Mac - this is not a flame to you, I just think you are wrong. That being said, let's go.

"Thrashes a Veyron" is an almost impossible option. However at a thousand pounds less and 718+ HP it should be close. It is not a $1,800,000 USD car as is the Veyron. Commentary in the board of regents conference call was in the $800,000 range. Less than half the cost of a Veyron. Kind of like a M3 to a Carrera?

Quoting "My point is that priced to compete against the 458-level cars, the 918 would do fantastically well." Although the 458 foes not have all wheel drive, hybrid technology, the ability to acheve 78 miles to the gallon, did someone mention the 718 horsepower? I think it has a few things going more than the 458...

As to the Ferrari/Lambo/Mclaren commentary please feel free to read the Scuderia/Carrera GT post currently active on the board. Seems that the GCT is picked by two of the owners that currently have both. In addition I have a client who has both and clearly picks his CGT as the dominant car. I have personally driven both to a Sunday cars and coffee, the CGT demands way more attention than the Ferrari. This is not a 911, it's a supercar.

Quote "At $800k+, it's a joke, no matter how cool the technology." Really? I currently have two clients with solid orders and deposits, with two additional seriously interested. Apparently a joke that clients are willing to pay for.
Yes I believe "really" works. Yes there will be interest. Not unlike the interest in the 1.4 mil plus $50-100k a year maint Veyron. I read an article a month ago that said Bugatti Figured at their Veyron price tag ONLY 6000 people in the WORLD can actually afford it. I'm not saying that 100 were sold to guys that really couldn't afford it. So lets say the 918 is half that $$$. Let's say cutting in in half 4 times as many people can afford it. 24,000 people in the world can afford this 800k car. Will 1 in 24 buy one. NO WAY. $800k this car doesn't sell but 100 copies imho. World Wide. It's a price point that most say " hmmm what am I getting for 800k " The answer for 90% will be Not enough.

I don't disagree you have a few deposits. I don't disagree Porsche will sell some. I disagree at large numbers. I also believe like me at 800k my deposit would be pulled back if my dealer would have taken one from me to begin with.

side note: I am one of the guys I believe you mention regarding which car I would choose CGT or Scud if I owned just one of them. The cars are very different and as cars Go the Scud for less money is a steal. Is it a better car when driven harder at high speeds. I don't know. Anything above 140mph in my area is almost impossible. I will hopefully have a good write up on the two by the end of June as me and five friends have a track rented and I will have both there.

Last edited by h20skier; 03-24-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2010 | 03:02 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
I never did state that the car would sell in large numbers. In addition I am not sure where you found out Porsche was planning on buileing 1000 units to make the "1 in 24" a credible number.

If you look at the CGT production stopped at 1250. The Veyron is ceasing production at 300 coupes and 150 Gran Sports. The market is small, however it is there. The Enzo was a $600,000 that sold 400 units from 2002 to 2004 and the market is still above $1M USD for the car. Granted a Porsche does not have the panache of a Enzo, however it will sell.

Oddly enough my first deposit came from a Veyron owner.

IMHO Porsche should take large deposits, say $250,000 from the client/dealer and build to the market demand. This would take out the speculator and broker market and supply the car to the client.

That and I am in a crappy mood and need to lighten up.

On a side note, two things to mention. Have a riot at the track. With your collection I could not imagine it being any less. Second issue, your thread of your cars posted last year was easily one of my favorites on TS.