Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder

"If you build it, they will come. That's our advice to Porsche regarding a production version of the 918 Spyder Concept that wowed attendees at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this month. Somehow, though, we'd imagine that the German automaker would want a more solid business case than our personal opinions. Good news, then.

Rumor has it that Porsche is actively working with its dealers to find enough buyers ready and willing to plunk down their hard-earned dollars on the next halo car from the quintessential sportscar maker. Porsche R&D chief Wolfgang Dürheimer says that the company would be rather pleased "if customer feedback is positive and we end up over time with about 1,000 firm orders."

If Porsche were to put its hybrid 918 Spyder into limited production, it wouldn't be without precedent. Back in the early 2000s, Porsche used a similar tactic to put its awesome Carrera GT on the market... and we all know how that turned out. As we said before: If you build it, they will come."

Source Autoblog.com

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
That is so cool. I hope they do end up producing it.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future
Now were talking !!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Porsche used a similar tactic to put its awesome Carrera GT on the market... and we all know how that turned out.

Poorly.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Rather than build a $440k halo car, I'd rather see them build a $200k F458/Gallardo/MP4-12C competitor. I don't know if the cost to build the thing would be low enough to make that feasible, but I guaran-damn-tee, they'd sell w-a-y more units at that price point.

The 918 is pretty much everything I ever wanted in a supercar.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds pretty doable to me. Porsche needs to make this happen.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
Rather than build a $440k halo car, I'd rather see them build a $200k F458/Gallardo/MP4-12C competitor. I don't know if the cost to build the thing would be low enough to make that feasible, but I guaran-damn-tee, they'd sell w-a-y more units at that price point.

The 918 is pretty much everything I ever wanted in a supercar.
Isn't that the Turbo???

Never noticed the wing mirrors, or lack there off. Wonder what the production spec will look like.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
[/I]

Poorly.
why do you think that? Just curious. I know I turned down a cgt because it seemed crazy at the time to own a 400k car. I know they stopped production because the US wanted them to do some more testing. That's really all I know though.

Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Isn't that the Turbo???

Never noticed the wing mirrors, or lack there off. Wonder what the production spec will look like.
Exactly the Porsche Turbo holds up well against the 458 and it's 75k plus less US dollars. Seems to me they don't have to answer the 458.

I'd bet the 918 will have TV screens for mirrors. The CGT mirrors are in a horrible position and really block a lot of daily driving activities imho

The last I heard from my dealer was if you are interested get ready for a 7 figure price tag. I told them I wouldn't be interested in a 7 figure car. I also told them they will limit their buyers considerably and be looking at a 50 unit ( maybe ) per year car. When you hit 7 figures you hit the Zonda and Koenigsagg pricing and you truly limit your buyer base down way too far. Zonda sells 10-15 a year. Why would Porsche's out sell that car? My thoughts only.

Last edited by h20skier; 03-23-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
That is the role of the GT2.

As far as the 918 is concerned, it is going to have to be priced well under $400k for it realistically sell 1,000 cars.

Originally Posted by h20skier
why do you think that? Just curious. I know I turned down a cgt because it seemed crazy at the time to own a 400k car. I know they stopped production because the US wanted them to do some more testing. That's really all I know though.
Partially as a result of building too many of them, the CGT suffered poor sales, and many cars sat on showroom floors for a very long time until the dealers started discounting them heavily to clear them out. This seriously impacted the market for used CGTs, and played a significant role in them being grossly under valued in today's used market, despite it being among the most capable street cars ever conceived.

This all took place during good economic times. Now, the US and many other countries are currently suffering serious financial hardships.
If this is to be Porsche's next halo car (I have my doubts that it is), then they need to consider cutting its 1,000 unit production in half and offering it with a competitive price.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
That is the role of the GT2.

As far as the 918 is concerned, it is going to have to be priced well under $400k for it realistically sell 1,000 cars.

Partially as a result of building too many of them, the CGT suffered poor sales, and many cars sat on showroom floors for a very long time until the dealers started discounting them heavily to clear them out. This seriously impacted the market for used CGTs, and played a significant role in them being grossly under valued in today's used market, despite it being among the most capable street cars ever conceived.

This all took place during good economic times. Now, the US and many other countries are currently suffering serious financial hardships.
If this is to be Porsche's next halo car (I have my doubts that it is), then they need to consider cutting its 1,000 unit production in half and offering it with a competitive price.
I totally agree. So hoping my dealer translated exactly what I told them to Porsche NA. I too feel that 500 units will struggle to sell around 450k. The US Market is horrid as the rest of the world. They'd be nuts to launch a car with some stupid price tag in this climate

Quick Reply: Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder