Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
I feel like even if they produce it won't even come close to being the ultimate porsche like the CGT is. I don't know why, maybe because it's a hybrid.

Old 03-23-2010 | 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
gtee3 is an unknown quantity at this point
got a call from Regional VP

I got a call last week to determine my interest in the 918...when I asked for a ballpark "he said more than a CGT"...I said can you do better,,,he said "$800ish"!

Old 03-23-2010 | 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Getting to sound more & more like Porsche is treating this as the "unofficial" CGT replacement. That would be bad. But if they produce it in addition to an actual CGT replacement hypercar that, that would be a good thing.

That is if the world economy ever comes back...

Old 03-23-2010 | 07:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gtee3
I got a call last week to determine my interest in the 918...when I asked for a ballpark "he said more than a CGT"...I said can you do better,,,he said "$800ish"!

If that is the case, Porsche is wasting their time producing this car.

Old 03-23-2010 | 08:14 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier

I'd bet the 918 will have TV screens for mirrors. The CGT mirrors are in a horrible position and really block a lot of daily driving activities imho
They would only be feasible if you got the vibration down to zero. Otherwise, they would be absolutely useless.

Old 03-23-2010 | 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
That is the role of the GT2.
I disagree. The GT2, fantastic car that it is, is the top end of a range of cars the low end of which competes with the Nissan GT-R/Corvette Z06 etc. in terms of price and exclusivity (I see way more base model 997s than I see GT-Rs or Z06s). Unfortunately, that stigmatizes the 911 halo models in the same way that a Subaru STi is still just an Impreza.

Old 03-23-2010 | 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
I disagree. The GT2, fantastic car that it is, is the top end of a range of cars the low end of which competes with the Nissan GT-R/Corvette Z06 etc. in terms of price and exclusivity (I see way more base model 997s than I see GT-Rs or Z06s). Unfortunately, that stigmatizes the 911 halo models in the same way that a Subaru STi is still just an Impreza.

I do not agree with that at all, but I could see how the casual Porsche admirer might perceive it that way. I also think amongst most true car enthusiasts, they wouldn't discriminate against a car because its chassis was used in lesser priced, though still exclusive models.
Porsche's GT cars are not for those craving an image. I personally would never have an interest in owning a 458 or a Gallardo, or most of their siblings.

Additionally, you mention the Gallardo, but that car is filled with many parts used in Audi's most inexpensive models. That would not put me off from the car if executed well.

Old 03-23-2010 | 09:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Josh
I could see how the casual Porsche admirer might perceive it that way.

Were you intending to be condescending, or did it just come out that way?

Old 03-23-2010 | 10:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro

Were you intending to be condescending, or did it just come out that way?
Which ever way works best for you.

Old 03-24-2010 | 11:44 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
way off!

The gt3 and gt2 cars don't even have the same engine. The shell is used because it's a winner. I only disagree with Josh a little. I feel the gt2 should not be sold to anyone without a ProRacing license. The cars are insane. I think that the standard Turbo 997 which is faster to 60 than the 458 with less HP does just fine in a comparison....plus it's $75-90k less

Quick Reply: Report: Porsche building business case for 918 Spyder