Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
adamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud of
now im confused ... so whats the deal then with the 1800mile GT2???? worn discs?

EDIT: from the two pics ive posted, they mention two ways to look for wear on a PCCB, the one is surface roughness and the other the disc thickness ....

i would assume the circle is a measure of the surface roughness ... now with wear the disc become like sandpaper, (again like in the pic posted) ... logic tells me that as the disc wears down the circle should start fading away then? ... this will explain the GT2 with 1800miles having the circle visible on the rotor ... makes totally no sense that these discs are worn and need replacing at this mileage ... but then im no technical expert, will wait for STOPPIE's research into the matter

Last edited by adamr; 03-15-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glenn Mc
I can assure you that they ARE an indicator of wear.

They start off faint, and get worse with wear, i saw in internal technical bulletin at my dealer, and it says when the surface area in these circles become more delaminated, than not, then it's time to change them. There would be no other reason to have them otherwise.

What i can't understand is whether this is in conjunction with the disc thickness minimum itself, or two separate measures.
Gotcha. If it's on a Tech bulletin then for sure it's there for a purpose.

I'm trying to find my master tech and ask him.......now where is that little bastard...lol

Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
thanks guys for all the responses!

yes, my sense is my discs are still fine.

HOWEVER, i do believe the little circles are indeed some kind of wear indicator. and even if they are not, there is a clear difference between the little circles on new cars, cars that are used only on street, and cars that are tracked.

there's a virtually brand new (less than 600 miles) 997.1 RS i saw recently, and yes the circles are visible. but quite hard to see, and you have to try several angles. but yes they are there.

there's a 997.1 GT3 and 997 GT2, both owned by friends who drive the cars at high speed AND whose mileage is the same as or slightly higher than mine, but do not track their cars. the discs are slightly more visible than on the RS mentioned above, but less than mine.

and then there's my car, which is tracked (probably the only PCCB shod Porsche that is tracked regularly around here). and the circles on my car are the most visible of any i've seen locally.

again, thanks for the info!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
acf
Teamspeed Junior Member
acf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished roadacf is on a distinguished road
I just looked at mine with around 24k miles. Couldnt see any circles on the front. Rears I saw a faint circle, not quite as brown as the ones in your pic. I don't track my car though. I'll try to take a picture when it's sunny tmrw.