Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glenn Mc
Spot on !!!

Even with TC switched off, the ABS/ABD ? seems to me messing with the rear brakes.

With the PCM off the ABS remains active. In addition the PCM will monitor the car and activate whenever the vehicle goes into the ABS. The only 996 and up vehicles that allowed the system to be completely turned off are the 2010 GT3's and the CGT's. The CGT's did not have PCM, only traction control. The 2010 GT3's have a TC off and a TC/PCM off button.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Although the rears don't get nearly the punishment that the fronts do in full deceleration, the rear's get abused through PSM management. The rear pads/rotors are often overlooked and do take a beating especially on the track with PSM, and most drivers don't even know it.

bob
Excellent point.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard some tuners say that the PCCB pads should be changed once they hit 50% to prevent greater wear on the rotors. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I change mine around then. If you run the pads too thin, this increases heat build up, which is just worse for the disc.
Changing pads is cheaper than changing discs IMO.

I have been running Pagid RS 29's for over 2 years now, much better life and performance than stock. More meat on them too.

G.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Are the 29's better than 15's on these G? I use both on the csl but switching back to 29's again the last time was a mistake. Less feel and modulation even if just as powerful. May be different on pork?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
adamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud of
i asked the same question some time back ... and looking at your discs which mines looks very similar to (very similar mileage that you have), was told they practically new ... apparently when they do wear they begin to resemble sand paper and even then they still ok ... those circles you see are also visible on new cars (maybe someone can verify this)

The thickness is the thing to go by im told ... and surface roughness

EDIT: found some pics for you ...

in the image above look at the pic of a worn disc, im led to believe even the after the disc looking like this, people have tracked the cars with no issue ...

so, id say in my limited knowledge of PCCB's, your discs are new

Last edited by adamr; 03-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adamr
i asked the same question some time back ... and looking at your discs which mines looks very similar to (very similar mileage that you have), was told they practically new ... apparently when they do wear they begin to resemble sand paper and even then they still ok ... those circles you see are also visible on new cars (maybe someone can verify this)

The thickness is the thing to go by im told ... i might be totally wrong here, but this is the advice given to me by more than one Porsche expert ...
I just checked the 1800 mile GT2 we have (waiting to be paid for) and it's showing the circles in the rear. I dont think they're an indicator of wear.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
adamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud ofadamr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
I just checked the 1800 mile GT2 we have (waiting to be paid for) and it's showing the circles in the rear. I dont think they're an indicator of wear.
that just double confirms to the OP his discs are ok .. thanks STOPPIE

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
No problemo.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
I can assure you that they ARE an indicator of wear.

They start off faint, and get worse with wear, i saw in internal technical bulletin at my dealer, and it says when the surface area in these circles become more delaminated, than not, then it's time to change them. There would be no other reason to have them otherwise.

What i can't understand is whether this is in conjunction with the disc thickness minimum itself, or two separate measures.

Quick Reply: back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators