Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my mk2 GT3, sold the GTR still have the E92 M3 and Evo 9 MR. Here's my take.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
fun2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Haku
Your assessment much appreciated. Congrats on the GT3. The car looks beautiful in white. The go-cart analogy is spot on.
i have a question regarding the go-cart handling on the gt3.before buying the car i read a lot of review saying its got no room for slack,steering is very direct and precise etc.frankly i am a little(slighty ) dissapointed in the steering dep. i mean the steering feels a bit lazy to me.for e.g if youre doing 100km/h and do a quick left and then right movement(imagine taking a slolam coarse with cones in the middle) it feels like there is a slight delay in the chassis response. if i remmemver correctly my 997tt and murcielago felt more responsive like a go kart especialy the murci. im asking because i want to confirm if this is normal.before driving this car i thought the suspension would be super stiff but this car actually feels very softly sprung to me.ive never driven another gt3 or 2 so i want to know if this is because of the softer front swaybar,alignment or something wrong with my car?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by NTY
I ordered my 7.2GT3 in Nov and sold my GTR in Dec and I still have my 6GT3 with me. I concur with your assessment on GTR. My take for GTR is it's good for a one or two lap time attack and it'll overheat if you don't ease off after that. GTR is definitely faster than a GT3 up to 200kmh, on par from 200-250kmh and could be a little slower than a GT3 from 250-300kmh.

I find GTR too big and heavy for track and winding roads and too harsh for a highway cruiser and hence I decided to sell it. It's fast but not as fun as a GT3. Now going through a long painful wait for new GT3.....
Ive been meaning to ask someone,what oil temps do you get in the gt3 when running it hard.Mine goes upto 100deg.should i be concerned?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
NTY
Teamspeed Rookie
NTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fun2k
Ive been meaning to ask someone,what oil temps do you get in the gt3 when running it hard.Mine goes upto 100deg.should i be concerned?
100C is very safe and not a concern. You should only worry if it goes above 120C. Good synthetic lubes should keep things safe up to 130C. BMW M3 has normal operating temp at 100C and on track can go up 115C.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by NTY
100C is very safe and not a concern. You should only worry if it goes above 120C. Good synthetic lubes should keep things safe up to 130C. BMW M3 has normal operating temp at 100C and on track can go up 115C.
Thanks so much for clearing that up,now i can stay in the higher rpm range without worrying too much about temps,above 4-5000rpm would be amazing...all the time.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Member
s4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The Evo is the best bang for the buck...
Absolutely. Not the biggest bang, but definatley the best for your hard earned dollar. You can absolutely drive every day with it regardless of rain or snow or even dirt (it has gravel mode) lol. It has four doors and is my ski trip car. I've also taken it to Lime Rock with which I got 2nd place at a time trial in my class with Emra. It does it all.

Which car do I use the most? It's the M3. It only sits when it's snowing. Otherwise I'm in it. It has a little bit of everything. Speed, looks, name, fun and most of all comfort.

fun2k, I was in my M3 at Monticello last fall and there was a white 135i running in my group. Was that you?

Last edited by s4awd; 01-29-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by s4awd
Absolutely. Not the biggest bang, but definatley the best for your hard earned dollar. You can absolutely drive every day with it regardless of rain or snow or even dirt (it has gravel mode) lol. It has four doors and is my ski trip car. I've also taken it to Lime Rock with which I got 2nd place at a time trial in my class with Emra. It does it all.

Which car do I use the most? It's the M3. It only sits when it's snowing. Otherwise I'm in it. It has a little bit of everything. Speed, looks, name, fun and most of all comfort.

fun2k, I was in my M3 at Monticello last fall and there was a white 135i running in my group. Was that you?
No im from dubai.surprisingly i dont have any track experience.although this one time an evo x tried to race me,i was in my 135i,he was slighly quicker thorugh the bend(my car understeers and rolls so much on the limit that passengers fear the car is going to literally roll over if pushed more,which i cant since it will understeer more lol)but as soon as we got on the straight i passed him easy.

On a side note,if i do buy another car it will NOT be one with runflats tyres=0 ride compliance.They crash over even the slightest bump on the road.The ride harsness in the gtr and 135 and my guess even 335 is because of these tyres.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Teamspeed Member
s4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Paperbill
How about biggest BANG for the buck? The M3 and GTR are much less than the GT3, so which car delivers the best value?
GTR will always be the biggest bang for the buck in terms of performance. In terms of actual usage, the M3. Because if it's all around capabilities, there are hundreds if not thousands of M3's with over 50K on the clock with owners having no care of how much they use it. GTRs and GT3s rarely if ever go that high.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Haku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fun2k
i have a question regarding the go-cart handling on the gt3.before buying the car i read a lot of review saying its got no room for slack,steering is very direct and precise etc.frankly i am a little(slighty ) dissapointed in the steering dep. i mean the steering feels a bit lazy to me.for e.g if youre doing 100km/h and do a quick left and then right movement(imagine taking a slolam coarse with cones in the middle) it feels like there is a slight delay in the chassis response. if i remmemver correctly my 997tt and murcielago felt more responsive like a go kart especialy the murci. im asking because i want to confirm if this is normal.before driving this car i thought the suspension would be super stiff but this car actually feels very softly sprung to me.ive never driven another gt3 or 2 so i want to know if this is because of the softer front swaybar,alignment or something wrong with my car?
IMO, the steering is very nimble and responsive. Far more so than my 997TT. So is the suspension which is way stiffer than any of my previous 997's including the TT. Others with greater seat time in a .2 GT3 may be in a better position to respond. I use my car mainly on twisty roads and have noticed a big difference in steering feel and preciseness. Whilst not trying to in any way state the obvious, have you checked that your tire pressures are correct? Are you using the Cup tires?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
Paperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the rough
I believe my next car will be an M3

Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by Haku
IMO, the steering is very nimble and responsive. Far more so than my 997TT. So is the suspension which is way stiffer than any of my previous 997's including the TT. Others with greater seat time in a .2 GT3 may be in a better position to respond. I use my car mainly on twisty roads and have noticed a big difference in steering feel and preciseness. Whilst not trying to in any way state the obvious, have you checked that your tire pressures are correct? Are you using the Cup tires?
Yup cup tyres with 29,31psi cold.on pasm set to stiff its feels a bit more responsive,but i dunno the suspension still feels soft to me. or maybe its the pasm acting weird.or maybe and this is what i think the cause could actually be, the steering ratio is more and is much lighter than in my bmw which im so used to??
also the steering gets very light when pushing the car,but i guess this is a 911 trait?

i guess what im trying to say is,in a go kart you have no shock observers,so when you turn the steering the response is istantly transfered to the road with 0 body roll.this however feels like it has some body roll even on stiff setting. Im not in anyway saying the steering is bad lol,its absolutely amazing,what im suggesting is if this car was intended to be a track car maybe they should have put stiffer springs which would result in less body roll and crisper turn in.

Ofcoarse this feeling i only got when im doing what race car drivers do in the beginning of a lap when they try to bring there tyres up to temperature.no1 does this on the road cuz people would think you are dui. for me though since i dont track,softer ride is a big BIG plus but totally different from what i expected reading soo many reviews ,"super stiff suspension"???yeah rite!

Dosnt anyone here feel this car needs stiffer setup or am i the only one??

Quick Reply: Got my mk2 GT3, sold the GTR still have the E92 M3 and Evo 9 MR. Here's my take.