Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my mk2 GT3, sold the GTR still have the E92 M3 and Evo 9 MR. Here's my take.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the write-up. I'm certain a GT3 is my next car.

And thanks for giving the Evo the props it deserves. I loved my Evo til the day it died...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up. I prefer the GT3 to the GT-R so i think you made the right decision

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
fun2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by s4awd
The pricing was finally right so I picked up my 2010 GT3 from Schneider Nelson in Jersey. Ed is the man by the way. White with sport buckets, dynamic engine mounts and nav, sound chrno. Given I just sold my GTR I'd give my brief review with pros and cons of all my toys.

Yes the GTR is faster. I don't care what anyone says. I immediately found out when I took my first drive off the lot in the GT3. I stalled. hehe. That clutch is heavy . All kidding aside, in the GT3 I had the sense that I was in a go kart. Not just in handling but aware that the engine was in the back, rear wheel drive and no weight in the front. For those who go kart, it's that immediate sense that you want to go fast to catch the guy in front but know that you'll spin out if you mash the gas in a turn. So every action I take is premeditated. Especially downshifting, entering a turn, etc. It's basicly what makes the GT3 so much fun.

In the GTR I could be drinking a latte while on the phone (hands free of course) and be able to just do the triple click from 6th to 3rd and just floor it. I'll feel like Neo where every other car is at a standstill and I just zig zag my way through. Which is fun in it's own way but can get you into trouble.

Given the GTR's setup, I know that I simply cannot shift faster than it so stop light drags are pointless. Around a racetrack or twisty road, the GTR just feels very safe. No white knuckle driving, it just turns and goes. The only fear is not running wide but running into the guy in front of you.

That's where the GTR's benefits end. The car is HUGE and the ride is harsh with a bite that it made me feel bad for my passengers. The GT3 is sublime. It feels alive. That sport button is insane. It's a true sports car in the sense that it's the best street legal GT race car you can buy.

Is the GT3 a daily driver? With the regular seats, maybe. The buckets, no. Getting in and out can be a pain when you slam your thigh into sidewall of the rigid bucket seat. The ride is perfect for a sports car though. Stiff but not harsh and definately no bite. The softer regular seats will add enough cushion to be able to drive in NYC.

The car is SUPER low so yeah, I wish I had the lift. Dealership experience was outstanding. I left feeling like the time I purchased my first Rolex. It was a nice feeling

Ok here are my preferences. If not listed, They stay home.

Tight Twisty two lane Road:

Evo. No other.

Twisty road:
1st: GT3
2nd: Evo
3rd: GTR

Wide open road:

Tie GTR GT3

Race track for laptimes and bullying:

GTR

Race track for fun:

1st: GT3,
2nd:M3

Going out to the city with friends:

M3 Chicks just love this car.

Snow/Rain/Ski trips:

Evo, Evo Evo!

Steering handling shifting

1st: GT3
2nd: Evo. A very close second
Tie: GTR's steering and handling better but I can shift the M3.

Very interesting write up m8.Im also coming from a gtr,i have the comfort manual seat in the gt3 and it feels like a mercedes compared to my gtr.oh and i stalled it twice coming back from the dealer.
I still have lots of respect for the gtr it was more suited to attacking long sweeping corners with decreasing raduis where you can power through the whole turn where as in the gt3 you have to wait until near exit then rotate the car on power which is amazing.The gtr does not let you rotate it like the gt3,there is slight understeer near the limit.iv managed to slide my back end twice in that car which was also fun and in a controlled fashion.

Also correct me if im wrong but i thing the gtr engine is smoother,in the gt3 after 4000-4500rpm it seems like the turbos have kicked in.Also from about 160km/h - 240km/h the gt3 actually feels faster it just keeps pulling.i wish they had put shorter gearing,i like to open the windows and enjoy the amazing sound this engine makes but after 3rd youre going way to fast and the wind starts to kill your ear drums.the sound is very addicting.

The rear enginer balance you mentioned is absolutely felt the first time you drive this car,but where other cars(front engine) start to understeer on power this oversteers,its almost a totally opposite way of driving a car fast through a bend.learning to take advantage of the balance is very challenging but fun compared to any other car on the planet i would say.ok so i havent driven them all but it feels so different.also if you go too fast into a corner(with factory alignment) the car just goes into safe understeer(im not a pro driver but this is from my experience which is only few days of ownership so i might be wrong).

lastly gtr was fun only when you went near its limits,ie you need to drive the car very fast in order to enjoy the masses of grip and power.also as a dd i would the gtr if only because of the stiff gt3 clutch in traffic.both cars are amazing imho and not boring as some have put it.oh and the sound system sux on the porsche hehe.

btw ive never driven an evo,how do you compare the ride quality to gtr or gt3?also shifting in the gt3 will get better once you put some miles on it,especially 3rd which is very notchy at first.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Member
s4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond reputes4awd has a reputation beyond repute
fun2k, we're pretty much on the same page. Your description of taking a turn in the GT3 vs the GTR is spot on. The GT3 can feel faster mainly because there is no lag. It pulls but the GTR felt faster for me because of the increasing sense of thrust which is why boost is great. The pull on the GT3 however is immediate so the car feels quick when you jab the throttle when on the highway. There is a slight lag in the GTR, slight but still there.

I also had to really being moving in the GTR to have fun as well. The Evo is fun doing 40 in a 20mph winding road. The GTR couldn't do that because it was just too big. You need some really big sweeping roads or a racetrack to have fun.

I have the sound package plus which is a joke. I had to double check the sticker to see that it was on there. I can't even imagine what regular sound package is like.

The Evo is fun but and it's a big BUT. It's old . It's dark and gloomy inside especially at night. No bright colorful LCD Nav, interior lighting or anything. The ride is nicer than both the GTR and GT3. I have the MR which has the more compliant bilsteins. It's a thrilling ride and so much fun because of nothing between you and the road. Similar to why the old M3 and 1st gen GTi were so great. But you can't do that with new cars now. People need heft and a sense of weight with everything and associate that with quality. Unfortunately it takes away from the driving experience imho

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
fun2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by s4awd
fun2k, we're pretty much on the same page. Your description of taking a turn in the GT3 vs the GTR is spot on. The GT3 can feel faster mainly because there is no lag. It pulls but the GTR felt faster for me because of the increasing sense of thrust which is why boost is great. The pull on the GT3 however is immediate so the car feels quick when you jab the throttle when on the highway. There is a slight lag in the GTR, slight but still there.

I also had to really being moving in the GTR to have fun as well. The Evo is fun doing 40 in a 20mph winding road. The GTR couldn't do that because it was just too big. You need some really big sweeping roads or a racetrack to have fun.

I have the sound package plus which is a joke. I had to double check the sticker to see that it was on there. I can't even imagine what regular sound package is like.

The Evo is fun but and it's a big BUT. It's old . It's dark and gloomy inside especially at night. No bright colorful LCD Nav, interior lighting or anything. The ride is nicer than both the GTR and GT3. I have the MR which has the more compliant bilsteins. It's a thrilling ride and so much fun because of nothing between you and the road. Similar to why the old M3 and 1st gen GTi were so great. But you can't do that with new cars now. People need heft and a sense of weight with everything and associate that with quality. Unfortunately it takes away from the driving experience imho
Also the fact that you sit much higher in the gtr so that sensation of speed is diminished comparativily.
In a turbo car there will alway be lag betweem applying the throttle and getting the turbos to spool up.between 135i,997tt and gtr,gtr had the least lag.
Gtr did feel heavy sometimes , it sort of feels reluctant to quick direction changes after a fast corner where as the gt3 just loves to change direction on throttle.

Thanks for the input on the evo,i know about the interior it feels like a normal lancer inside.i cross shopped the evo x when i got my 135.The interior,the bucket seats,size and weight(more turbo lag?) made me look else where.I actually prefer the 9 to x. ive heard there very easy to power slide=big fun.

The gt3 needs some commitment to go fast(balls!),when i first got the car i was much slower in the corners than my 135.After getting to know the car im a little bit faster.Still, taking the same corner at the same speed as the bmw,it feels more envolving in the gt3,i know gt3 can go much quicker but you need to learn the balance of the car and when to apply throttle.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 AM
NTY
Teamspeed Rookie
NTY is an unknown quantity at this point
I ordered my 7.2GT3 in Nov and sold my GTR in Dec and I still have my 6GT3 with me. I concur with your assessment on GTR. My take for GTR is it's good for a one or two lap time attack and it'll overheat if you don't ease off after that. GTR is definitely faster than a GT3 up to 200kmh, on par from 200-250kmh and could be a little slower than a GT3 from 250-300kmh.

I find GTR too big and heavy for track and winding roads and too harsh for a highway cruiser and hence I decided to sell it. It's fast but not as fun as a GT3. Now going through a long painful wait for new GT3.....

Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
Paperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the rough
How about biggest BANG for the buck? The M3 and GTR are much less than the GT3, so which car delivers the best value?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Haku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond reputeHaku has a reputation beyond repute
Your assessment much appreciated. Congrats on the GT3. The car looks beautiful in white. The go-cart analogy is spot on.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up, the new gt3 has been getting great reviews as it should. Congrats on the purchase, you'll probably never want to sell it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Paperbill
How about biggest BANG for the buck? The M3 and GTR are much less than the GT3, so which car delivers the best value?
The Evo is the best bang for the buck...

Quick Reply: Got my mk2 GT3, sold the GTR still have the E92 M3 and Evo 9 MR. Here's my take.