Notices
General BMW | Mini General BMW & Mini Cooper Discussion Forum.

London Olympics 2012 - Remote Control Mini Cooper RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
newyork is an unknown quantity at this point
London Olympics 2012 - Remote Control Mini Cooper RC

Hi - Just a quick video I took of the Mini Coopers retrieving the ball from the Hammer Throw.

At first they where just driving around the field and figured it was some kind of promotion, but where surprised to find the true use.

Remote Control Mini Cooper RC

London Olympics 2012 - Remote Control RC Mini Cooper used at to retrieve Hammer Throw

The mini Minis are 39 inches long and can carry loads of up to 8 kilograms, the equivalent of a single discus, shot or hammer, or two javelins.

A specially designed sunroof is used to load the equipment into the car, and trained volunteers then guide it back to the starting line where athletes are gearing up to throw for gold.

The minis take 80 minutes to charge and can run for 35 minutes without running out of power.
Regular versions of the popular cars are being used elsewhere in the Olympic park to transport athletes and officials between venues, but the use of the mini versions is said to save time and also energy for the volunteers who are working on the track and field competitions.

Last edited by newyork; 08-12-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
texanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond repute
The mini cooper is so British, its German!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
BMW did have a very concerted presence in the Olympics.

They where the Shuttle for the Athletes, Families & Officials - Must of been hundreds BMW's in various models/colours driving around London. They where permitted to use the Olympic Lanes.

The Russians where using Audi's.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Found one more image of the Remote Control Mini's

Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sorting through all my footage & found a better video of the Remote Control Mini's retrieving the Ball from the Hammer Throw.

Here's the link to my Youtube video

London Olympics 2012
Remote Control Mini Cooper Retrieving Ball - YouTube

Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ThomasDale is on a distinguished roadThomasDale is on a distinguished road
hahaha very innovative!!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Justin12
Lolx....
I think there should be a race in between RC cars and the reals BMW cars
then we can judge the speed of the RC mini cars. But these mini cars are
also looking awesome. Can any one tell me where I can purchase this size
RC car. and also told me about the prices of these cars. Actually I am
planning to buy a RC car. This is my first time to that's why I want you
guidance guys.

I spoke to one of the BMW's representatives during the Olympics & I asked the same question, was told they where specially designed for the Olympics and had no plans to market the cars.

There are quite a few 1/4 scale Radio Controlled models out there, did see a yellow convertible model while shopping in London (didn't see the price though)

Last edited by newyork; 09-13-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ordered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond repute
Not cheap for sure.

A 1/8 scale can run to over $1K easily, regardless of it being electric or nitro.

Usually 1/4 scales are the most expensive of the lot, and I believe these are electric. So much much more than $1.5k to $2K.

If you have no experience with the world of Radio Controlled, my advise is to start small and then upgrade to a larger size when you're more comfortable. Will save you money in the long run.