Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Will the manual come back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Will the manual come back?

I recently watched a review of a new car and for the life of me I can't remember who it was or what car was being reviewed. The one thing I do remember though is something the reviewer said. "Manual transmissions have no purpose in modern sports cars." WHAT?

I understand that the flappy paddles will shift faster, allow for quicker lap times and lower 0-60 times but, will they continue to dominate the market? I think for the foreseeable future the answer is yes. It seems that the manufactures are obsessed with 0-60 times, lap times and less concerned about driver enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, the right car with flappy paddles can be very enjoyable. For example, the Scuderia. A track focused thoroughbred who's main purpose is to set blistering lap times. I get that. Even with paddles, that is a very driver focused, involved car. A GT-R, a tech toy obsessed with stats and data. That make sense too. The P1 and LaFerrari, all amazing pieces of technology and are meant to be the fastest things on the planet.

What about an Aston though? I just read that the new V12 Vantage S will only be available in a flappy paddle transmission. That isn't a track breed racer. It's a very competent GT car and begs to be driven as a manual transmission. What about a Ferrari GT car? Remember the 550 and 575? Or even the Daytona, 365, 250 and older models. Wonderful GT cars. Fast, comfortable and just amazing cars to drive. For me, and I think a lot of other enthusiasts, driving is more than 0-60. I want to feel involved with the car. Change gears when I want and miss gears because I'm not paying attention.

This got me thinking. Do you think that manuals will have a comeback? Do you think eventually that we'll not be so obsessed with 0-60 times or how fast a car, that most of will never track, can get around The Ring? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate those times and stats, I do. But it's not the end all be all. It's not what I love about driving. The new Jaguar F-Type coupe for example. I was giving serious thought to one of those. I love the way it looks, I love the sound and before it was officially launched, there were rumors it would be offered with a manual. PERFECT! To me that was the perfect car. Apparently now, according to my dealer, it will only be offered with the autobox. And now I don't know that I want one. It completely deflated my balloon.

Such a shame. I noticed that used GT3 and GTSRS asking prices went up about 30% after the new GT3 was announced it would only have a PDK. Doesn't that say something? doesn't that beg the question, is the F1, E-gear, S-tronic, PDK world a fad? Is there room for 3 pedals and 2 paddles in the market place?

I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts.

As a side note, I think it's interesting that the American sports cars are really the only ones left that you can have a manual in. Vette and Viper. So much for the thought that America doesn't make drivers cars.

Last edited by Full Tilt Rally; 02-14-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Georgi is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope that it will come back, but not with the today thinking they have. May be some time have to pass for people to start missing the "old" manual and then the manufacturers will have to please the demand.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
speedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nice

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really niceAlef_henriique is just really nice
Well, i can't remember well and if it's true, but i read somewhere that the orders of the Corvete C7 with manual gearbox represents only 20%. Hard to say if the manual cars will survive.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedsters
Exactly. We've been over this 100 times

Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, we've been over this many times before. However, I'll answer the question anyway -- no, I don't think the manual will see a resurgence, at least not in the U.S.

As the old guard, who grew up with row-your-own transmissions ages, there will be less and less a percentage of the enthusiast market that even know how to properly drive one, and there will be little incentive to build cars for that dwindling market. There will be little incentive for the youngsters (so to speak) to go out and learn, when flappy paddles are the predominant style.

For comparison sake, how many folks are left that know how to drive a Model T? (there are three pedals, none of which do what you expect them to, and an ignition timing lever on the steering wheel)

Unfortunately from here on out there will be fewer and fewer enthusiasts that will know the magic of a perfect heel-and-toe downshift, but really it will only bother fewer and fewer of us.