Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

I test drove a 996 C4 and a Cayman S back to back

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I test drove a 996 C4 and a Cayman S back to back

I actually stopped by the local audi/porsche/exotic place to check on a 75k service for the A4. Started looking at p-cars. Talked to a salesman there who is a bit of a porsche nut about the differences between a 911 and Cayman. He twisted my arm into driving a couple.

First up was the C4, it was an '01 tiptronic with intake and exhaust. We did a decent 20 minute loop with some freeway driving, city and some twisty 2 lanes. I was actually a little surprised at the C4. After hearing a lot about rear weight bias and strange handling I found that the car just gripped and went. That might be particular to the AWD version though? The steering mounted shifting was fun, I liked that better than I thought I would. I was also impressed with how capable and still NICE an almost 10 year old car could be. It had 72k miles and I didn't get a sense that it was beat up at all. The exhaust note was great from the aftermarket system.

Ok, on to the Cayman S. '06 with 30k miles. Much smaller inside, no doubt. Not cramped though. I literally haven't driven a stick in 5 years (Don't berate me, my sportbike is a manual! ) so I was kinda worried. No need at all! Very smooth shifting, never a question about what gear you're shift to. Very user friendly 6 speed. Grip, wow does that car grip! The loop we did starts almost immediately with a tight freeway on ramp going uphill. Come into it in third, little brake, shift to 2nd and get on it! Also did some 25mph corners on a country road. I was very impressed with the handling. Crazy grip, very precise steering. The brakes were very good as well. Minor gripe, the mirrors sucked ass.

My overall impressions? Neither car impressed me with the acceleration which seemed fairly even between the two. (more power vs less weight) Thats not a slam, I think that sportbikes have ruined non-supercar acceleration runs for me. With that said, the cornering ability of both cars is far beyond what I can do on a bike.

I thought I would come away with a clear winner between the two. Not the case. The C4 I could see as a car you'd drive all the time. Its easy to drive fast, comfortable, composed but of course still very capable for

The Cayman is a sports car. Doesn't try to be anything else. Its lighter, noisier and I do have to say more fun to drive fast. The handling and grip is just amazing.

I guess its gonna come down to the purpose of the car. As a car, or as a toy?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Having driven a new '10 Cayman with a 6 speed, I feel the Cayman is finally getting it's dues. The 06-08 Cayman and Cayman S I wasn't so into. Felt they revved slow and didn't get that full 'Porsche feel'.

But I really love the new 09-present Cayman and Cayman S.

The new DFI CS is just a brutal sports car. Blistering quick. Lots of fun. But for the $$, I'd STILL choose a 997 over it.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Speaking of "porsche feel", there was also a 993 turbo with 50k miles there, and a GT2.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
Just fyi, Porsches are never fully up to potential in California unless you put something better than our crap 91 octane in it--they're tuned for 93 octane. I <3 my Cayman.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool write up.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Cayman S. For over a year all i had was a CS and driving it daily (its a 6 speed...im 6'4") got a little old. Then i bought a Range Rover and now the Cayman S is a toy/weekend/fun car and i couldnt be happier. It may not be the fastest - but it sure is one of the most fun cars out there from a sheer driving experience.

Having owned a highly optioned 997 911 C2S and this highly optioned Cayman S....when it comes time to buy a replacement what will i get? Tough call. I hope to move into a GT3/Turbo car but if i dont i will take a long hard look at the new Cayman S as oposed to another C2S 911.

So my question to you is this --- which one are you getting???

Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Well, if I had to choose between those two exact cars I'd get the cayman s. However since they were asking 35k for it, I did some poking around CL and found a 996 turbo for 40k? I guess the extra 5k would be worth it!

2001 Porsche 911 TWIN TURBO Two-Door Coupe

I realistically have to wait till after our kid is born though.

Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Cool write up.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Cayman S. For over a year all i had was a CS and driving it daily (its a 6 speed...im 6'4") got a little old. Then i bought a Range Rover and now the Cayman S is a toy/weekend/fun car and i couldnt be happier. It may not be the fastest - but it sure is one of the most fun cars out there from a sheer driving experience.

Having owned a highly optioned 997 911 C2S and this highly optioned Cayman S....when it comes time to buy a replacement what will i get? Tough call. I hope to move into a GT3/Turbo car but if i dont i will take a long hard look at the new Cayman S as oposed to another C2S 911.

So my question to you is this --- which one are you getting???

Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Well, if I had to choose between those two exact cars I'd get the cayman s. However since they were asking 35k for it, I did some poking around CL and found a 996 turbo for 40k? I guess the extra 5k would be worth it!

2001 Porsche 911 TWIN TURBO Two-Door Coupe

I realistically have to wait till after our kid is born though.
I hear you. Timing is always key.

As for 40k for an 01 Turbo or 35k for a Cayman S. Depends on what your plan is. If you are a modder/speed freak then the turbo could be fun? GIAC tune + exhaust could get you one FAST ride for not much money. Only thing is, that car will be 10 years old and will start to feel like it. To me, the 996 interior is already WAY old school for my tastes. So if you plan on driving the car often and keep it in its stock form id go for the newer Cayman S and pocket 5 grand

Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Great writeup

I think the Caymans are highly underrated
I myself thought that way as well...until I got to drive one

A bit more power,suspension,semi slicks and that midengine reptile might give a GT3 a hard time