Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.
View Poll Results: Best for a first car?
NA Mazda Miata
39.29%
Mk1 Volkswagen Rabbit
32.14%
Misc. Volvo Wagon
3.57%
Something else. Specify if you wish.
25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Best for first car?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Safety is the big thing that'd keep me away from an Austin Mini!

Originally Posted by 81911
Let's think basics.
Miata RWD, easy to work on, Japanese will be much easier to work on than German. (I work on German shit) and you can throw the top down.
It'll be hard to be a fun to drive factor every time you get in.
Very good points, especially as you know what you're doing. I think the RWD would be a plus too, as it could teach me car control in empty parking lots.

I still really like the GTI, especially because of the hatch. I guess when I'm ready to buy it'll come down to insurance quotes, and the best example available.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
^^ Safety is the big thing that'd keep me away from an Austin Mini!

Very good points, especially as you know what you're doing. I think the RWD would be a plus too, as it could teach me car control in empty parking lots.

I still really like the GTI, especially because of the hatch. I guess when I'm ready to buy it'll come down to insurance quotes, and the best example available.
Miata.

I drove one in high school for awhile. A "B" body if I recall what they call it.

You will learn how to drive a stick, learn some RWD car craft, and they're cheap and easy to work on.

When I was your age I was pretty demoralized/depressed about ever having a "nice" car, and I really lost interest in cars for a few years as a result.

You will have plenty of time for Porsches and every thing else when you can actually afford them, which is probably when you graduate from college at the earliest, unless there are remarkable/extraordinary circumstances or you're spoiled - which doesn't sound like the case - or you're exceptionally entrepreneurial.

PM me if you want.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
DPezz is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a gti when I was 16! Granted it was brand spanking new. But to this day one of my favs! Still have it

Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
RickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond reputeRickyZone has a reputation beyond repute
Miata's are probably the most fun of the cars you've mentioned (btw scratch that Volvo).

Other ideas:

- E30/E36 BMW
- Porsche 944 (as someone mentioned previously)
- Nissan 200SX (180SX in the US I believe?)
- Civic Type-R - does it fit in your budget?

A friends brother used to have a Nissan 200SX as they're called here in Europe. 1.8l Turbo, 160-170hp (168?) in standard form, his was modded and put out approximately 250hp, I was really impressed when I had a go in it! So much fun! RWD as well. Then again, it may be considered a bit of a ricer-car, don't know if it's your style, but the fun-factor for the price is probably very hard to beat - remember it only weighs around 1200kgs!

If it were me, I'd honestly go for the E30/E36, 200SX or possibly the Miata, although I'm not really a fan of the styling.

The 944 is probably great fun as well. When I was in your shoes last year, and the year before, I actually considered a 944 (S2 or Turbo) but decided against it due to the running costs. Remember that these Porsches were at least 30-40k cars back in the days, thus the parts will be expensive. My friend had a 968 CS (essentially an evolution of the 944 S2) and was charged $5k only to repair the broken water pump, and a few small niggles. Of course, he did not do the work himself, but still - that's basically your entire car-budget for one repair.

Remember that all of the cars you've mentioned are old cars, the main costs are going to be the upkeep. Bushings grow old and dry, brake-dics, exhausts and other parts rust, springs wear out, et.c. et.c. That said, whatever car you decide on, go take it to an independent mechanic and go through the entire car, it will save you a lot of money and problems later on. Also, the newer car/less miles the better.

Keep us updated!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
@Guest: Thanks for the input, definely some pluses for the Miata here!

@RickyZone: The 944 was actually one of my first initial thoughts, but as you stated, cheap cars that used to be very expensive are a big red flag. If I were to go Porsche, it'd be either the 924 or the 914. I really don't like the 924 though, and I think the 914 just wouldn't be practical as an only car.

I've thought of E30's as well, but most around me are either convertibles, or are very abused. Plus, I think insurance would be a bit high because its a "BMW". Would be a great car to own though.

I think once again I'm leaning towards the Miata, seems to be the best choice in terms of performance, fin factor, running costs and insurance. Good list of common wear and tear points, I'll definitely make sure I check out all of the nooks and crannies prior to making a purchase. I'll be getting my license in July (if I pass ), so I'd be hoping to get a car right around there so my dad and I could drive it up to the Grand Am/ ALMS race at Road America.

Really appreciate all of the tips, guys!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Teamspeed Member
ebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enough
Miata will be fun

The GTI would be harder to maintain, but what a fun car! Dont really know how those things stand up in the cold. But in the heat they go boom.

The volvo unless your forced into it because of the insurance. then you gotta do what you gotta do. And like the people in the thread said. You'll get your bad ass car soon enough.

Best of luck on your test!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Personally, I say find an older Honda or Toyota. On of their 4 cylinders (or a truck if its a Yota). I am a certified Toyota tech and can tell you if you go grab one of their trucks or a earlier 2000's corolla or camry in good condition, it'll run forever with basic maintenance (as long as you stay UP TO DATE!!) and minimal repairs. Plus they are easy to work on as well. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by TheStigSC
Personally, I say find an older Honda or Toyota. On of their 4 cylinders (or a truck if its a Yota). I am a certified Toyota tech and can tell you if you go grab one of their trucks or a earlier 2000's corolla or camry in good condition, it'll run forever with basic maintenance (as long as you stay UP TO DATE!!) and minimal repairs. Plus they are easy to work on as well. Good luck to you and keep us posted!
You're just saying that 'cause you're in my area, know my earlier 2000's Camrolla will break, and I will inevitably have to come in to have you do a major service.

I know you could never go wrong with one of them, they're just too damn boring! I would consider an AE86. Civics are very nice as well, especially the older ones where you feel close to the road. I just think that maybe they're a bit too "ricer" if you catch my drift. Good advice on the regular maintenance! Too many people treat their cars like turn-key appliances these days and think they own a total POS because they have to keep up on wear and tear things. It's a billion part machine, not a dishwasher!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Zambrano You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Carrera
You're just saying that 'cause you're in my area, know my earlier 2000's Camrolla will break, and I will inevitably have to come in to have you do a major service.

I know you could never go wrong with one of them, they're just too damn boring! I would consider an AE86. Civics are very nice as well, especially the older ones where you feel close to the road. I just think that maybe they're a bit too "ricer" if you catch my drift. Good advice on the regular maintenance! Too many people treat their cars like turn-key appliances these days and think they own a total POS because they have to keep up on wear and tear things. It's a billion part machine, not a dishwasher!
I think a 1999-2002 Honda Civic (sedan/coupe) could be a good option and please, please, please! don't go RICER! lol

Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedEvo has a reputation beyond repute
On Cars.com there's a 2001 Honda S2k with 130k miles selling for $6,900. I'll post a link later but it's on there. I know your budget is in the $5k range but maybe you can haggle the price down on this S2k.

Search this Thread