Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Vintage beauties - 30's cars *Imageheavy*

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
My pleasure

And more:
1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atalante.

Another Bugatti, this one a Type 57S Atalante. Given it's state, I think this is the one that was found in a British doctor's garage after some 40-odd years of storage. The difference between a 57S and a 57SC, by the way, is that the latter sports a supercharger on the 3.2 litre streight eight.

A 1935 Type 57T Tourer.

A Cord 812 Beverly of 1937.

More of the H6C Xenia.

1934 Peugeot 601D Eclipse.

The above photos was taken by Flickr member Exfordy

More of the Type 57SC:

And more of the 57T Tourer:

Those two by Antsphoto, who also shot a lot at Goodwood this year.

A 1935/6 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante Coupe, shot by E Phone Home

No introduction needed, I guess.

A Bentley Speed Six. This car won Le Mans 1929, driven by Captain Woolf Barnato & Sir Henry Birkin. It's affectionately known as Old No. 1, and it drove from England to Le Mans again this year. Evo article 'ere: Le Mans 2009 | Car news | evo

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniRup
My pleasure

And more:
1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Atalante.

Another Bugatti, this one a Type 57S Atalante. Given it's state, I think this is the one that was found in a British doctor's garage after some 40-odd years of storage. The difference between a 57S and a 57SC, by the way, is that the latter sports a supercharger on the 3.2 litre streight eight.
I sat in that very same Atalante. Footwell is tiny and cramped, with a huge thin steering wheel against your chest ... very very odd ergonomics!

Also, if you want to spot a 57S (or SC) from a 57C at first glance, the top of the grill is at the same height as the top of the fenders on the SC, and obviously higher on the C. Heard from a Bugatti aficionado (and owner) with a parrot on his shoulder last year in Monterey. Very cool guy.

57C

57SC

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
I sat in that very same Atalante. Footwell is tiny and cramped, with a huge thin steering wheel against your chest ... very very odd ergonomics!

Also, if you want to spot a 57S (or SC) from a 57C at first glance, the top of the grill is at the same height as the top of the fenders on the SC, and obviously higher on the C. Heard from a Bugatti aficionado (and owner) with a parrot on his shoulder last year in Monterey. Very cool guy.
Sounds like quite a character! Are you going to the Historics this year as well?
I guess the ergo's were meant for the driver to apply as much of his own power as possible to the steering wheel, because people weren't that much smaller back then; according to Wikipedia, the height of average white American man was 176.7 cm (5'9.57") in 1930, vs. 179 (5'10.47") in 1980. I always thought the difference was more, but it might have been different in Europe.

Interior pic of a Type 57 Atalante, also by E Phone Home.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like quite a character! Are you going to the Historics this year as well?
Nope, too busy with work.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Damn. Guess you'll just have to live vicariously through Alzilla like the rest of us...

Last edited by MiniRup; 08-11-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
/\ Nice! That old cigarette lorry is fantastic! The three Bugattis as well, and the Cord, and the Airflow, and....
I suppose this also means that you're pushed back to second place on the "South African dudes with way too many cars" list...

That Bucciali is insane! If the Devil drove in the thirties, that was his car.
I have a lot of work to do He has in total 300+ cars, he has since acquired a 300SL Gullwing, McLaren F1, Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione etc. I havne't gone back to take a look - hope to do it sometime soon though.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Those Bugattis are the most beautiful cars in the world, imo.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enoughJbann will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Those Bugattis are the most beautiful cars in the world, imo.
I have to absolutely agree. The past year or so I have become completely obsessed with antique and vintage cars, especially Bugattis. They are really something else, beautiful, elegant, and simply amazing.

A local man that I was lucky enough to meet and make friends with has a vintage car collection of his own which includes a 1938 T57 Ventoux. Best of all, last Tuesday he took me for an hour ride through the countryside with it, exactly what the Bugatti was built to do. He even offered me to drive! But being 17 (having no experience driving a vintage car, let alone one so valuable) and not wanting to make him replace the clutch anytime sooner, I refused. I can't wait for the day in the future when I do, though! Here are two pictures (let me know if they are too big).

Last edited by Jbann; 08-14-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
ACmil is an unknown quantity at this point
Classic , classic , my grandpha always love this .

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'm saving this spot for a future post when I upload my photos...