Notices
Ferrari Super Cars Ferrari Enzo, FXX, F50, F40, & More Discussion Forum.

Brief F40 v CGT Driving impressions (Jas, Kuzi, Dan, others please add your own)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TimF40
Jamie,

I love my F40 for exactly the reasons you mentioned – even the ones that were negatives.

<snip>
Great write up Tim!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to everyone who contributed ownership experiences.... rarely do us layman car guys get to know what its like to live with supercar royalty. Cheers to you all!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Its a technology issue Jamie, in the modern era you have what I consider the 2 cars to own the 16m is the last of a generation it is it in the 360.430 generation and you have top down with great sound and reasonable comfort. The CGT like the ENZO is the modern super car and is a piece of history ....that all being said F40/F50/288 are great to look at but far from comfortable to drive.

Good anecdote: My uncle had an F40 in New York when I lived there and when he brought it into Wide World of Cars with 15,000 miles on it they didnt even know what service to do...this was 1993 or so he drove the thing dailt and believe it or not drunk like an idiot...long story most people in North Jersey knew the crazy man the dentist who drove his F40 as his daily...

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Chris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond repute
What an awesome thread. Easily, one of the best threads I've read in a LONG time.

It makes me realize why I became such a car nut to begin with.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Blue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond repute
Jamie are you bringing down the F40 for the Cars on Fifth show this Saturday?? I'll be there and look forward to meeting you.

Last edited by Blue4reF1; 02-04-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Blue4reF1
Jaime are you bringing down the F40 for the Cars on Fifth show this Saturday?? I'll be there and look forward to meeting you.
Yup.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Ferrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent write up Jamie

Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
DM1
Teamspeed Senior Member
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Jamie it sounds like exactly what I told you I felt when I owned the car. I really enjoyed it, but at least for me the CGT is a better car. I know those sport seats are a pain to seat in and I’m 6’0”, but everyone told me that if I would install the stock seats, I would be more comfortable; I just never got around to doing it.

My biggest problem was that living here in Phoenix all city streets are straight and boring to drive on and you need to get out of the city to really enjoy the car. So for around town, taking the wife out, or just going to Cars and Coffee on Saturdays the CGT is a much better car. It took me almost two years to realize that I enjoy looking at the car but didn’t enjoy driving it as much in town and since I never tracked it, it became furniture in my garage.

I wish you the best of luck with it and many great times driving and enjoying it.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
How many guys have tracked one? I know talking the other day with 2 guys that vintage race their 935's they say the spool up on the turbo's is amazing yet nerve racking everytime they exit a corner. I'd love to get an impression from someone on this. The CGT does everything you ask and feels controllable with throttle response like a gt3 that creates a car / driver oneness ( probably not a word sorry ) but the Turbo's spooling would change it to Turbo's spooking in my book. The fast 935 drivers are the ones that know exactly the second to hit the power knowing the lag.

Is the F40 lag response consistant? Normally that top gear guy throws the cars around a track and shows his driving skills with the car by throwing it around and throwing it past it's limits. He doesn't in that Video Jas posted he just says he loves it. I'd love to hear from someone that has truly just pushed it hard to it's limits and become one with it. If it's a raw Turbo'd version of a CGT with inputs creating exacting outputs I'm sure the car is crazy CRAZY crazy on a track.

Ok Kuzi....Nows the time for our June track day to try her out. I will even pay for the tire wear I burn off of them...you know it's perfect 6 of us only and wide open runs