Notices
Ferrari Super Cars Ferrari Enzo, FXX, F50, F40, & More Discussion Forum.

Brief F40 v CGT Driving impressions (Jas, Kuzi, Dan, others please add your own)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Brief F40 v CGT Driving impressions (Jas, Kuzi, Dan, others please add your own)

Many requests for this and I must say that I've only driven this thing less than 100 miles and the boost cuts out unless I get the thing really warm which is difficult as the weather in S. Florida has rarely been above 80 so far this winter.

Ergonomics. This thing is really small. Footwell is cramped, seats are small and my head brushes the headliner. Claustrophobic and not comfortable.

The interior is very spartan. No power steering, brakes require the thigh strength of a speedskater and squeak like a 1950's F150.

At 30mph or so, things lighten up, but the brakes still require a bit of planning. The car is light and tossable and there is absolutely no sound deadening. Every stone and pebble you hear bouncing off that lovely carbon. Even with Tubi straight pipes, the car is fairly quiet, however off throttle, it burbles and pops like crazy.

On boost it's crazy generating God's own hammer on the boost. Full throttle in first or second, you're immediately sideways with no intervention but less throttle. In second or third, it's absolutely nutz, especially when you think of the thrust other cars of this vintage were developing. You can lose traction in this thing in the first four gears if you're not paying close attention.

The road between old US40 and Goodland is my test grounds and hammering in 3d gets you from 40 to 130 in the blink of an eye - the sound and fury is overwhelming.

If you google the road, you'll see there is a tiny culvert (imperceptible even when I'm on my bike - it's on my training route). I got airborne over that tiny bump in third.

Is it enjoyable to drive? Well, not really, compared to the CGT and 16M. It's thrilling, crazy and nuts, but not something that I'd take out a lot on the usual wifey lunch and bottle of wine followed by spirited driving. I'll prolly still pick the cgt and 16M (the wife's favourite) for those missions.

To be brutally honest, I considered selling and had it sold for what I had into it. But to look at its intense and overwhelming beauty, I just couldn't do it. Plus, I think it's a relatively good investment. Perhaps not as good as an apartment building, but good enough.

Other F40 guys, please chime in.

Forgot this:

CGT. Brilliant and easy to drive. Way better ergonomics. Way more fun to slide around corners. Easier to drive.

I can go around any corner and get slightly sideways with minimal throttle. Here's what I love best: From a stoplight, in traffic, get it rolling, then half throttle and them giant 335 rears spin and shriek like a banshee. All other traffic stops and applauds! I freaking love that!

Last edited by jamie; 02-01-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds Like an F40!! At least you have the luxury of having a 16M, CGT, and R8V10 to drive around when you want more "comfort"

Still wanna see some Vid!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Nice.

I see this staying with you no longer than 18 months.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Great post J. Gets the blood flowing just hearing about it.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Good write up Jamie. How tall are you that your head touches the roof? I can totally understand the claustrophobic feeling.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
Good write up Jamie. How tall are you that your head touches the roof? I can totally understand the claustrophobic feeling.
I'm a tiny wimp. 5'10"

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jamie
I'm a tiny wimp. 5'10"
Damn, this car was designed for tiny Italians... another supercar I can scratch off my list.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
F40 will fit me perfectly! I'm 5'8! Great write up Jaime!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by jamie
I'm a tiny wimp. 5'10"
I sat in one years back with Euro seats and fit fine. And I'm 6-1 240. Maybe a seat swap is in order?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
How about I fly down on occasion and keep it warmed up for you?

Quick Reply: Brief F40 v CGT Driving impressions (Jas, Kuzi, Dan, others please add your own)