Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Driving impressions - C4S and snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Driving impressions - C4S and snow

So the entire east coast got smacked with a crazy winter storm. Generally we avoid it for the most part here in the DC area, but this time we got several inches (just like Jox most nights). The community I live in was blanketed and didn't get plowed until this afternoon (again, cue Jox).

I decided to test the waters (or snows) with my C4S and its summer-only tires. Turns out they work pretty damn well. I can honestly say my RS4 with winters wouldn't have done much better in the conditions. Considering we don't get much lasting snowfall, and what we do get is plowed/salted almost immediately, I am not sure I'll need winter tires. My wife says I should get them, but I was very impressed with the C4S' performance in what is about the worst we get here.

Of course, ice is a whole different story, but even the RS4 with winters was pretty useless on the really slick stuff.

Getting the car tinted tomorrow - more pics to follow!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,
You're braver than me... I worked from home instead

Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, if you can afford the car you can afford the piece of mind the right tires give you. The only thing saving you was the new tread depth and the rubber compound is still fresh and pliable. Take it out after everything freezes and see how it does.

Careful pal, your overconfidence is going to bite you. Don't let it happen in such a pretty new ride.

Please.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry if you mistook my excitement for overconfidence. I am FULLY aware of what the wrong patch of road will do to me...

Even though the performance is "passable", I'm definitely going to get a set of winters next season. It's so late in the season now for me to justify it. I've got my wife's A3 as backup in case I do need a lift to work. I'll call you when the time comes, Damon.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
maxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nicemaxwell is just really nice
when I lived in Aspen there was this old guy who drove his 996tt with a ski rack on top every day. He had stock wheels, but I never got a look at the tires. Seeing that thing go up to the mountain was awesome.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
M5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enough
I would consider winter tires.... I don't take my 09 Targa 4S out in the snow because summer tires will slip even with all wheel drive.... Not sure how the car will perform with winter tires though.....

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Anne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond repute
Over here we wouldn´t dream of driving on snow with summer tires. If something should happen we may not get the insurance company to pay, and we risk getting a ticket. Most people use winter tires from october to march.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Anne will you leave your husband and marry me?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'm sorry if you mistook my excitement for overconfidence. I am FULLY aware of what the wrong patch of road will do to me...

Even though the performance is "passable", I'm definitely going to get a set of winters next season. It's so late in the season now for me to justify it. I've got my wife's A3 as backup in case I do need a lift to work. I'll call you when the time comes, Damon.
Just one data point, but the AWD 911's have great winter conditions performance with dedicated snows. I drive mine all winter in Chicago conditions...(and this year conditions sucked)...with the Contiwintercontacts. Great snow tires. Plus, if you get a set of winter tires, it gives you an excuse to the wifey for a set of aftermarket wheels. The "But, honey, I don't want to damage the winter or summer tires by constantly remounting them" worked with mine...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Anne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond reputeAnne has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Anne will you leave your husband and marry me?
Sorry LABrit, I´m happy the way things are. But thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: Driving impressions - C4S and snow