Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

My BMW M3 Detail (96 images, full step-by-step)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wheels & tires are after Zymol wheel cleaner (done when washed) & Zymol Tyre. Will apply a sealant, most likely Menzerna FMJ, tomorrow (after washing again to remove any brake dust from yesterday, today, and tomorrow).

Polished Tips

These, and all other metal pieces, were done with Zymol Metall polish.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Interior

The interior was cleaned with Sonus Cockpit Detailer, Zymol Leather Cleaner, and Zymol Vinyl Cleaner. The interior was then conditioned using Zymol Treat (leather) & Zymol Vinyl. Windows were cleaned with Stoner's Invisible Glass. Naturally, everything was vacuumed and the q-tips came out again to get in every nook and cranny. The SMG shifter's trim was polished using Metall, and all seals (inside and out) were cleaned and conditioned with Zymol Seal.

Note: The flash combined with my 750 watt Lowel Tota lights makes some of the pieces appear extremely glossy; in actuality, everything has a near-satin like finish (just the way it should be).

Last edited by Bluestrike2; 06-30-2008 at 02:04 AM.
TEAMSPEED.COM

Tomorrow

This all would have been done today, but I had a party to go to. I'll clean the engine bay using Zymol Strik, condition all engine bay seals using Zymol Seal, and polish the glass using Griott's Fine Glass Polish to removed the water etchings. I'll then go over anything I might have missed & apply Rain-X to the windows.

I'll then go to the BMW Center to pickup new wiper blades and pickup a hot dog at the Original Hot Dog Shop in downtown Pittsburgh (it will not be eaten in the car).

Anyhow, I'm fairly satisfied with everything right now. I'd just like to thank Moe for all he's done; his advice and help were instrumental in getting this done properly. His products helped a bit too .

TEAMSPEED.COM
By the way, can anyone spot the sensor dust? Hint: Most of it is in the bottom-right hand corner .

On another note, there's some dried product in the photographs - all of that was removed. Also, looking at the before photographs vs. the after, you'll see a marked increase in depth. The paint is a very deep, three-dimensional surface that is as smooth as silk.

Last edited by Bluestrike2; 06-30-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Good looking car, quite the dedication! But then again I imagine it is not so hard to muster up that dedication when you have such a fine automobile in the driveway.

How long did this take you?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
great write up! Good luck with Gunther.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
looks great, its CLEAN!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Moe will be very proud man!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. They're really appreciated.

Originally Posted by 4Wheels
How long did this take you?
Too long. Joking aside, I spent around ten hours on Saturday, six or so yesterday, and another two or three will be spent today (max). It's important to note that, if I had it do over again without all the lengthy interruptions, I'd have it done in a day (start early in the AM & finish late at night).

I could have also cut a LOT of time out of the taping had I not been so damn fussy (I ended up redoing half the car because I wasn't satisifed with the tape job).

But in the end, the time was worth it .

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
good job. the car looks great. there's no way i would tackle that on my own.

Quick Reply: My BMW M3 Detail (96 images, full step-by-step)