Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

removing cigarette smell from car - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
nerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the rough
Not to threadjack, but I'm curious how much buyers knock off the price for a smoke smell. Do you negotiate a discount, or just buy it and try to deal with it?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond repute
Just air out the car----drive with the windows all the way open. I've never had the smell last more than a day in my car.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Darnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Has this worked for you in the past? What does the vinegar do? Thanks.
Yes it has worked for me several times, but I don't know the science behind it.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
i've found a variety of things after a few searches that i will try in tandem:

- vacuum everything
- shampoo everything << CAN I SHAMPOO CLOTH SEATS? I'M GUESSING NO SINCE THE WATER MAY NEVER DRY OUT?
- fabreeze the headliner
- turn on the car and spray Lysol through the intake; do this for both AC and heater
- wash windows w/ ammonia and scrape dry w/ a razor blade
- wash all plastic w/ woolite solution

when dry, and if any odor remains, either:
a) repeat
b) cover floors w/ baking soda for a few days
c) vinegar (or coffee)

if he buys the car, and i partake, i'll let you know how it turns out.

- chuck

Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Darnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond reputeDarnell has a reputation beyond repute
Before you spend time doing all that please give the vineager a shot.

Originally Posted by carendt242
i've found a variety of things after a few searches that i will try in tandem:

- vacuum everything
- shampoo everything << CAN I SHAMPOO CLOTH SEATS? I'M GUESSING NO SINCE THE WATER MAY NEVER DRY OUT?
- fabreeze the headliner
- turn on the car and spray Lysol through the intake; do this for both AC and heater
- wash windows w/ ammonia and scrape dry w/ a razor blade
- wash all plastic w/ woolite solution

when dry, and if any odor remains, either:
a) repeat
b) cover floors w/ baking soda for a few days
c) vinegar (or coffee)

if he buys the car, and i partake, i'll let you know how it turns out.

- chuck

Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
roccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond repute
Also, if the car has a cabin filter (most higher end cars) you'll want to replace it as well. the Ionization machines do work, also the baking soda thing I have have good luck with. # 1 most important thing is that you are thorough with the vacuuming. any cigarette or cigar ash under the seats or in the seat tracks will make the smell linger.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roccoman
Also, if the car has a cabin filter (most higher end cars) you'll want to replace it as well. the Ionization machines do work, also the baking soda thing I have have good luck with. # 1 most important thing is that you are thorough with the vacuuming. any cigarette or cigar ash under the seats or in the seat tracks will make the smell linger.
+1 for cabin filter. Personally, the cigarette smell would be a deal breaker for me no matter how good the deal. You will forever have a hint of the smell since the smoke is in the foam of the seats, under the dash, etc. But, you can definitely clean it well enough that over time the smell is very very subtle or non existent.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
I have used vinegar before and it worked good temporarily. Then you follow up with some of this stuff after every drive. Spray the headliner, carpet, under the passenger dash with AC running. Once you have done all of this leave the car sealed up till the next time you drive. After doing this for a few weeks you will not notice the smell. Also, make sure to change the cabin filter too.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Member
Bellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to behold
I 2nd Ozium and the procedure stated above.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
I sold a car that had 20k miles worth of smoke in it in one year. First we ran some sort of oxygen machine in the car and then I bought 5 of those discs you put in places to absorb odors. I put one on each seat and in the trunk. I alternated from seat to floor for a couple weeks. Then we ran the oxygen machine two more times. The discs made the smell go away, but then it smelled like a bathroom, lol. It's been four months and I keep checking with the new owner and the smell hasn't come back. So I guess it worked.

Quick Reply: removing cigarette smell from car - advice?