Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

SOS!!!! Deatilers Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
SOS!!!! Deatilers Please Help!!!!

My wife decided to take her Yukon to one of those do it yourself car washes, you know the kind with the steel wool brushes. Needless to say, I have some serious scratches on the side of the truck. They appear to be worse on the plastic trim. Can any of you please provide me with what I need to buy, and what I need to do (detailing for dummies ) to get the scratches out. Below is a pic of the carnage. I really appreciate any and all of your help.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Goddam was it a car wash she drove through or a wood mill?

Those things ought to be outlawed!

edit - you need to do a clean detailing. The pros are surely much better at explaining it all throughly, but basically clean the car properly (microfiber mitt and 2 buckets technique), clay bar each panel with car, then on with buffing which should remove those swirls (depending on the compound you choose), finish off with wax/sealant.

Last edited by Zorro; 01-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen those car wash guys drop their thin towels on the asphault, pick them back up and go right back to rubbing the car.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Those aren't scratches
You need some compound and a polish. Don't mess with it if you don't know how to do it, leave it to a pro.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
You need a FLEX tool and some Menzerna.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
are you planning to work on this yourself, if so we can provide you with some direction.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Phil is as good as anyone at this stuff and can hook you up.

He's the guy to talk to.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
are you planning to work on this yourself, if so we can provide you with some direction.
I would like to (I am one of those types that likes to do it myself). However, if it is too much please let me know.

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
what do you have on hand do you have a flex tool?

yes you can do it yourself with the the right tools.