Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

TPMS absolutely required for winter wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
bigzoe is an unknown quantity at this point
TPMS absolutely required for winter wheels?

Is it absolutely necessary to install tire pressure monitors on my winter wheels? Will the cars operate any differently if the sensors are not in place?

I do not want to take the existing sensors out of my summers, and don't like the idea of spending the $700 the dealer wants for additional sensors.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
Vettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the roughVettilac is a jewel in the rough
On my CTS-V it doesnt make a difference.

Other cars may differ I'm sure. You may not be able to get into competition/race mode with some possibly.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
First of all, $700 is CRAZY money for new TPMS. Out of this world.

Secondly, no, TPMS isn't a necessity for winter wheels. My car came with TPMS on the stock wheels and I kept the system when I got new tires but I ran without TPMS on my summer wheels for the last 4 months. Only negative about that was that the tire pressure light was on. If you can deal with that, I wouldn't bother with TPMS.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Like Alex said, the light will remain on all the time (and you'll get a warning at every startup). Personally, I think they're a good idea, plus the light would annoy me. Check with Damon, our Tire Rack rep - he'll get you a better deal on sensors.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
No but the warnings are annoying. Depending on the car there may be ways to get around it though.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
Have a couple customers that did not go with TPMS sensors on there 997.2 last year.
No issues besides being dealing with the warnings and lights.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigzoe
Is it absolutely necessary to install tire pressure monitors on my winter wheels? Will the cars operate any differently if the sensors are not in place?

I do not want to take the existing sensors out of my summers, and don't like the idea of spending the $700 the dealer wants for additional sensors.

Thanks in advance.

$700! I have them for just over $400! You don't have to have a TPMS system in order to run winters. You'll just have the light on the dash is all.

Please call me if I can help. I have several cheap winter wheels for this car.