Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Winter Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
InTheAir is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter Wheels

All right, here's the deal. My TT is going to be a daily and year-round driver in Michigan (when my current lease is up in a month or so).

In the next couple of months I need to figure out what I'm going to do about winter wheels. Here are my choices:

1) Use my stock TT wheel as winter wheels and buy some summer wheels. These summer wheels could include the GT3RS wheels or the like.

2) Keep my stock TT wheels for summer duty and get another set of TT wheels for winter duty.

3) Keep my stock TT wheels for summer duty and get some Carrera III wheels (18") for winter duty.

Considerations -
  • I'm not a huge fan of the stock TT wheels, but I do like keeping my P-car relatively "unmolested".
  • There are fewer 19" winter tires compared than 18" and their (19") cost is higher.
  • Winter wheels will have to contend with salt and more infrequent washing, so they should be considered "disposable".
  • Carrera III wheels can be had for about $1000 for four and 18" winter tires can be had for about $1200. Pretty cheap winter set.

For reference:

A picture of my car:

A picture of the GT3RS wheels (atomic80's car):

A picture of the Carrera III wheels (eclou's) (not the best aesthetically, but the price is right both in terms of wheels and tires):

What say you? Any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Why not just use the one set, when you feel like you actually need a new set then buy some? These cars are tested all over the world (as i'm sure you know) and i'm fairly sure the rims will hold up for the winter season and with a nice detail prior to the summer will look just fine.

It just seems like a lot of effort otherwise...perhaps i don't appreciate the necessity to do so as i'm on the West Coast.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
It becomes a matter of complexity:

To reuse the same set of wheels, you end up having to seat the tires, unseat the tire, reseat the tires, unseat the tires, etc. The tires last longer than one "season" (around here we have to change every 6 months). This constant mounting and dismounting the tires are hard on the tire bead and reduce my trust of them at higher speeds.

Also, the logistics of getting the other set of tires mounted require me to somehow get the 4 unused tires to the tire shop along with the 4 wheels. This can be done by:
1) relaying the tires to the shop beforehand (can't fit all in the TT)
2) driving the TT there for the change and
3) then relaying the tires back home

or

1) removing wheels (all four at the same time) from the TT and transporting the four wheels and the four replacement tires to the tire shop
2) keeping the car up on jack stands.

Needless to say, I'd rather invest in another set of wheels to avoid the complexity and limitations of the "process".

Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
You just taught me a couple of things, thanks.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by LABrit
You just taught me a couple of things, thanks.
Let me guess:

1) Don't move to a cold climate.
2) Don't move to a cold climate.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought a second set of RS4 titanium pkg wheels for my summers and I put my winter tires on the stock wheels. In your case, if you don't mind the stock TT wheels, use those for summer and go the 18" route for winter. FWIW, my 255/35/19 winters were only like $220/tire (Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds). 19" is not that cost-prohibitive, esp. since you'll get 5+ winters out of them.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff,
I use a package that I got from Tire Rack with 18" turbo twist knock-offs, winter conti TS810S, 235 front and 265 rear. I put a 32mm spacer on the rear to make the car look more stock. If the car is going to do serious winter duty (mine does), these narrower tires are probably the safer way to go in terms of traction. I've run three winters on them. They ride comfortably and have gotten me through some serious white stuff. Damon at Tire Rack can set you up for a reasonable price (I think mine were about $1300 2 1/2 years ago).
See my posts on Rennlist.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
Thanks, Dave.

BTW, I had your thread bookmarked.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by InTheAir
Thanks, Dave.

BTW, I had your thread bookmarked.
I figure since I've got the set and they work great, I might as well use them when my TT arrives,....then again, the rubber might crack by then!

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels