Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Was thinking Z4M .. now Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Was thinking Z4M .. now Cayman S?

Was looking for an M with the S54 but now slightly considering an '06 Cayman S. Checks all the boxes except for 'soul' (I think an LSD is a pre-req to be called a proper sports car). Never driven one, will soon; reviews are very flattering. Goofy looking car but I don't care about the exterior so much. Purchase will be made this Spring, so just doing preliminary research now. Never really considered this car.

How is the 3.4L for reliability? Any must have options? I personally want 6MT/nav/bose (DD)..
Plan to do some basic upgrades to the engine and suspension. So is Sport Chrono encouraged? PASM?

Anything to look out for?
E46/E86 M cars can have subframe and vanos (variable valve timing) failures. Any comparable problems on these cars or did Porsche work them out okay? Is maintenance straight forward? I expect it to be a bit more than an M car but not terribly so (price or frequency).
Can't afford an 09+ with DFI. '06 is priced at what I want to spend (just over that of comparable M cars), but were there any changes made for '07 worth holding out for? Bugs needed to be worked out?

Thanks!

Last edited by wyatth; 10-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
First off, good idea, the reason I bought my gator is because there is nothing like the feel and auditory experience of a mid-engined car. Try to find a buddy with a modded Cayman. I'll say this. I typically go through cars at most 3 years and move on, I've had the CS for going on 5 years now and love it still.

If you do a lot of track events, I would suggest getting a VOS upgrade, but for normal track days and normal driving, you are more than fine.

If you plan on modding your car, don't worry too much about getting sport chrono or PASM. Most software companies can give you sport chrono's more sensitive throttle response when programming.

I would say if there is an option to look for is the upgraded steering wheel, because it costs so much more aftermarket to replace it.

For the 06's, there is the infamous trunk clunk, it's a simple repair at the dealership, it's basically a clunking noise that eminates from the trunk lid when going over low speed bumps.

I had an e46 M and know all about the subframe debacle, nothing like that on the Cayman to date.

I have 44k on the car, and maintenence that I have done consists of, oil changes, brake pad and rotor replacement, and general tune ups.

Options that most people regret having, NAV unless you really need it, because although you think the big screen is nice to have, you'd be surprised how little if at all you end up using it. I would say get a pioneer multimedia unit that has digital iPod connectivity and real time traffic if you need nav. The Bose does sound better than the stock radio, but I barely listen to the audio system in the car.

Aside from that, I can't think of anything now, but I'll write again if I remember.

-e

Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
based on looks alone...Cayman S

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Z4M is a great car, i love it.

Cayman is also great and i have actually test driven both.

The porsche is better in every aspect aside from aesthetics IMO.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the input, guys.

Noob Q - what's VOS?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
I have both. Cliff notes: Z4 is a better car to drive the nuts off, Cayman is a better car to use every day.

In ~40k miles:

Z4 broken stuff: Zip.

Cayman broken stuff: Variocam solenoid, header collector stud, hid ballast.

Z4 Pros:

- Very fun chassis, feels like a Lotus Seven with your butt over the rear wheels.
- Just about the best I6 engine ever made.
- Great gearbox, albeit with a slightly weird 2nd ratio.
- No squeaks or rattles in ~40k.
- Awesome engine note.
- 8k revs.
- Best gauge cluster ever, especially at night.
- Best high beam headlights I've ever had.
- Easiest oil filter change in the known world.
- Beautiful wheels.

Z4 Cons:

- Don't like the stock seats very much.
- Grinds off rear tires like a cheese grater.
- Comical trunk space.
- Smallish fuel tank.
- Stock stereo is trash. Easy enough to fix with aftermarket, though getting good bass is a challenge.
- Stock nav screen location is sta-hoopid.

Cayman Pros:

- Great torque and daily drivability. Don't really have to rev the nuts off it to go fast.
- More comfortable, can fit much more stuff in it.
- "The howl" engine note.. never gets old, but S54 gets the edge.
- Great handling dynamics out of the box, though can use some more tire up front to curb understeer.
- More stable on the naughty side of 140 than the Z4.

Cayman Cons:

- Lots of rattles and buzzes to deal with over the years, especially in the headliner.
- Really crappy stock audio, even with the Bose option. Easily fixable with aftermarket.
- Steel brakes get a little spongy compared to the Z4 when giving it the beans. Needs better pads/lines for track duty.
- Soft/thin paint on the nose, attracts rocks with a passion.
- More of a PITA to work on anything on the top of the engine.
- Ugliest stock wheels in the known world. The 19" multispoke upgrade is nice. 997TT wheels look awesome on it.

In short, both are a lot of fun and quite reliable. Both need a little work to be what I consider near-perfect, but so does most everything else. If I could only get one and had to do it over again, I'd get the Z4.

Sport chrono is a good idea on the Cayman, PASM not so much.

DFI engined cars are not as lively to drive in my experience.

Last edited by Simba; 10-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Great comp!! Thanks, Simba. Interesting notes. Are those problems (variocam, ballast, collector stud) common?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
Great comp!! Thanks, Simba. Interesting notes. Are those problems (variocam, ballast, collector stud) common?
I've heard of more than a few variocam solenoids going out, but it's a $120 part you can change in 20 minutes if you're so inclined. The ballast and stud were flukes-- haven't heard of anyone else having an issue.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Oh, phew! I thought it was something big like the M Vanos which is not as cheap and definitely not as easy to fix (though the Z version of the S54 has an upgraded sprocket bolt already vs E46).

Would not imagine ballasts being a common issue. No idea what the collector stud is so was worth my Q.

Is your Z an E85 or E86?

Thanks again!

Last edited by wyatth; 10-04-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned
Vanos has been fine on the S54. Just keep the filter clean and you're good.

Quick Reply: Was thinking Z4M .. now Cayman S?