Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

2014 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
2014 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4

2014 Porsche 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4

CAR Reports:
Project Mimo is the working title for Porsche's new junior sports car, a sub-Boxster coupe plopping Porsche right into Elise territory.

Loosely dubbed Porsche 550, the new entry-level Porsche would be twinned with Audi's proposed R5 and Volkswagen's BlueSport. The projects are still at an engineering feasibility stage and none has yet been greenlighted. Officially, at least.

Our artist's impression gives a flavour of what the new Porsche 550 could look like. Frankly, we hope any production version would suffer less from the Boxster-is-a-911-is-a-classic-Porsche Russian doll syndrome that afflicts so many of the current range.

Porsche 550: the engineering story

The whole of Project Mimo - standing for Mittelmotor, or mid-engined - has only recently been transferred from Wolfsburg to Weissach. Creating a common DNA for all three models (and others not yet mentioned) is a huge challenge for the Porsche engineers under their new R&D chief Wolfgang Hatz, who used to be the number one engine guy at VW.

The VW Group architecture destined for these models is expected to be MSS, and product planners are investigating Porsche, Audi and VW editions, most likely in roadster and coupé form. But sources tell CAR that further additions like Speedster/Spyder/Shooting Brake are all being considered.

Four- and five-cylinder engines will be the staple powerplants, and it'll offer rear- and - for Audi - all-wheel drive.

Manual and seven-speed dual-clutch transmissions are being factored in, while the power steering will be electric and optional brake upgrades ceramic. Magnaride adaptive dampers are also on the to-do list at Weissach.

Porsche 550 gets a 1.9-litre flat four

While the Audi version will sport a five-cylinder engine from the TTS/R, Porsche is developing a new trademark horizontally opposed four-cylinder for the 550.

Engineers say that turbocharged versions of the new 1.9-litre are capable of developing 210bhp and 215lb ft of torque. Relatively modest power outputs for Porsche, but weight should be kept low and don't forget Porsche's obsession with product distinction. While the mid-engined Audi is likely to sport around 340bhp, it doesn't have a Cayman/Boxster to protect.

If Porsche does decide to do a go-faster version (and since when did they not?), the new 550 will accept the larger flat fours being developed for future Caymen/Boxster models by 2014. Whereas today's models use six-pots, CAR has seen plans for a new 2.5-litre flat four turbo, codenamed B4 and listed at 360bhp and 350lb ft.
[CAR Magazine]

https://teamspeed.com/forums/boxster...50-spyder.html

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
they ought to make a tesla like electric car that will increase the brands overall emission and gas mileage.

at 200hp, the car will be weaker than the first boxster in 97. no matter how light it can be, it'll be a disappointment.

there is no way audi will be 340hp. that's crazy talk.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Love to see an entry level car for kids to compete with vw

Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
why don't they just put a porsche badge on a vw golf cabrio and sell it as porsche 550 spyder.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Stilling is an unknown quantity at this point
Might not be a fan right now, but lets see later on. i agree that it will make more sense to go for a very low emission car.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
If it's gonna look like that rendering it'll be awesome!

If there is one company who could make a fun car through downsizing it's gotta be Porsche though. I really have high hopes for this as many cara have been getting bigger and bigger, even what used to be the smaller sports cars, so this could be something going towards the trend.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
The idea isn't to be a super fast entry level sports car. The idea is for a very light, low power, high efficiency, fun, and agile sports car. That's exactly what the original 550 Spyder was, so this will be a perfect reincarnation.

Personally I think this will be the best new model Porsche in a long time.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
The idea isn't to be a super fast entry level sports car. The idea is for a very light, low power, high efficiency, fun, and agile sports car. That's exactly what the original 550 Spyder was, so this will be a perfect reincarnation.

Personally I think this will be the best new model Porsche in a long time.
Carrera, I have to remind you that the original 550 Spyder was anything but an entry level model for Porsche. It was a race car primarily for the track and for those with the means to afford it. At the time, it was probably the most expensive Porsche the factory could sell you. It was light but not low power, hardly fuel efficient and yes, fun & agile. Don't see the connection of this new model to the original 550. Nor the current R (cayman) to the 67 original 911 by that moniker.

I do understand the marketing boys raiding the heritage of Porsche in search of model names to copy & re-use, but it doesn't mean we have to applaud what they are doing, which many think is devaluing the brand & it's glorious past. The only one I fully approve is the name for my newest model, the Spyder, but I am a little biased. z356

Last edited by z356; 09-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by z356
Carrera, I have to remind you that the original 550 Spyder was anything but an entry level model for Porsche. It was a race car primarily for the track and for those with the means to afford it. At the time, it was probably the most expensive Porsche the factory could sell you. It was light but not low power, hardly fuel efficient and yes, fun & agile. Don't see the connection of this new model to the original 550. Nor the current R (cayman) to the 67 original 911 by that moniker.

I do understand the marketing boys raiding the heritage of Porsche in search of model names to copy & re-use, but it doesn't mean we have to applaud what they are doing, which many think is devaluing the brand & it's glorious past. The only one I fully approve is the name for my newest model, the Spyder, but I am a little biased. z356
Doesn't matter if its for the street or track, the idea is still the same. Light, agile, efficient. Of course not the intended usage though. But why wouldn't you want to drive a car like that every day?

While I do think a main motif of this project is for money, I doubt the engineers' main motivation is raking in the cash for VW. The latest rumors I heard, sub 2,800lb car smaller than the Boxster, no automatic top, and optional stereo, and AC delete. I'm not sure why any one would tick those options, but I like the thought. I'm sure the obsessed engineers will do an astonishing job as always.

And you say how Porsche like to "raid the heritage", and while I agree with you they do, its not a bad thing (well, at least not always). I like how they revive old ideas and monikers. One revival thing I didn't like though was the 997 Speedster. I wish they would have just "built it" . You know what I mean? Like for the 964 Speedster, they just built it, and weren't worried about packing all of this exclusive crap in it to make it special. Kind of like how they just built the Boxster Spyder without trying to make it special. It just feels like they were trying to hard to make it special. It kind of seemed like a marketing excercise, while the Boxster Spyder felt like an understated special gift from the engineers.

But also, I think Porsche is doing a really good job creating history. Examples, the already iconic graphics scheme of the 997.2 GT3 RS and RS 4.0. And though the Boxster Spyder was a throw back, they did a great job creating a sort of new philosophy with it. Another example is the 918 RSR. Best looking car I've seen in a long time. Do you know if that 917 style engine fan is actually functional?

Last edited by Carrera; 09-30-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
You are such a fanboy

Quick Reply: 2014 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4