Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Rendered: 2014 Porsche 550 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Rendered: 2014 Porsche 550 Spyder

2014 Porsche 550 Spyder Rendered

Lately, there have been non stop rumors running around that Porsche is working on a worthy successor to the iconic 550 Spyder. There aren't many details except that it will be a very basic no frills sports car. There is speculation that it will have a similar roof mechanism to the Boxster Spyder, aluminum construction, a flat 4 engine, but at this point nothing is confirmed.

So naturally, I decided I wanted to try a rendering. To be honest I thought it would turn out much different than how it did. I went into it with the idea of an entry level Porsche with a very basic design. After a bit of trial and error trying to get the design right, I decided, since nobody knows hard ANY details at all on this car, why don't I just have fun with it?

Now the idea was to take elements from many of the famous mid engine Porsches from history. The most notable inspiration is from the 918 Spyder. Based on the Boxster, nearly everything was changed. The rear fenders have been boxed out much like on the 918 Spyder. The entire rear hatch has been overhauled, and there are now Speedster humps reminiscent of many mid engine Porsches. There is a spoiler running across the length of the rear, which draws its inspiration from the the Carrera GT and 918 Spyder, but wouldn't be there at all if it weren't for the new Type 991. The tail lights a similar to the 918's. The idea is that they remain holistic like the 918's but are covered by a glass lens all around. And of course they are recessed, and protrude from the fenders. Like on the 550 Spyder, I added to obligatory vents on the engine cover. And the idea here is that when you lift the rear hatch, where the trunk space usually is on the Boxster is where the roof now stores, and where the engine is, is still where the engine is, but it is fully exposed. Others things with the design include a lowered roof line, smaller proportions, and a couple of other minors details.

Thanks for taking the time to view! Here is the rendering in a larger size. Send me a PM with your e-mail for the 1920x1200!

Last edited by Carrera; 08-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
they need to make a car with that technical formula

Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Great that Porsche is bringing all those classic cars back(961, 550, ...), much better than those 52 special editions of the 911.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great job buddy!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys! It really will be great when a car like this finally comes around.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jules944 is an unknown quantity at this point
The render looks great!

But in my opinion it just looks more like the new Boxster. It's a mix of the 987 Spyder with 918 influences.

I think the 550 will look different to separate the model from the Boxster, but I wouldn't mind if it came out like this.

Only the "diffuser" of the 987.2 isn't very pretty...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Turbofanatic
Great that Porsche is bringing all those classic cars back(961, 550, ...), much better than those 52 special editions of the 911.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Jules944
The render looks great!

But in my opinion it just looks more like the new Boxster. It's a mix of the 987 Spyder with 918 influences.

I think the 550 will look different to separate the model from the Boxster, but I wouldn't mind if it came out like this.

Only the "diffuser" of the 987.2 isn't very pretty...
Thank you! I guess it could work as a Boxster, but that wasn't entirely the idea, and I don't think goes with the spyshots all too well.

And I hear you about the rear diffuser. Initially I was going to design a completely new one, but then I though, if I designed one to be truly how I wanted it to be it would probably look exactly the same. So instead I did a minor re design on the bumper.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool

Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really nice
I want!

-AJ